I have major issues with how WIND/Freedom is introducing LTE into their mix: The plans are limited; grandfathered plans are not included (yet?), and; you have to buy a $1,000 device (LG V20) to take advantage of it in Vancouver and Toronto. I'm quite happy to sit it out on 3G and see where it goes, how about anyone else?

Over the last couple of years I've seen exceptional improvements to the 3G network and with the increased penetration of LTE I'm likely to see further improvements to 3G speed and reliability. Using the Android Speedtest app on my BB I've seen the following speeds:

8.98Mb/s D; 2.21Mb/s U (Inside my double brick constructed home near Pharmacy/St. Claire, Toronto);
    14.78Mb/s D; 2.09Mb/s U (Outside Union Station on the South Side of Front);
    16.57Mb/s D; 2.21Mb/s U (Inside the Eaton Centre, Lover Level South End).

I can live with these speeds and if all goes to plan they should get better but with all the crap that's being thrown at WIND/Freedom in other forums, I'm wondering how realistic my own speeds are. What's everyone else getting? I'm intrigued.
    11-29-16 08:38 AM
    I have major issues with how WIND/Freedom is introducing LTE into their mix: The plans are limited; grandfathered plans are not included (yet?), and; you have to buy a $1,000 device (LG V20) to take advantage of it in Vancouver and Toronto. I'm quite happy to sit it out on 3G and see where it goes, how about anyone else?

Over the last couple of years I've seen exceptional improvements to the 3G network and with the increased penetration of LTE I'm likely to see further improvements to 3G speed and reliability. Using the Android Speedtest app on my BB I've seen the following speeds:

8.98Mb/s D; 2.21Mb/s U (Inside my double brick constructed home near Pharmacy/St. Claire, Toronto);
    14.78Mb/s D; 2.09Mb/s U (Outside Union Station on the South Side of Front);
    16.57Mb/s D; 2.21Mb/s U (Inside the Eaton Centre, Lover Level South End).

I can live with these speeds and if all goes to plan they should get better but with all the crap that's being thrown at WIND/Freedom in other forums, I'm wondering how realistic my own speeds are. What's everyone else getting? I'm intrigued.
    They have a lot of work to do before I would consider their network
    11-29-16 10:04 PM
    I pulled the pin with them 6 months ago. The only thing I miss is their usa roaming plans and their LD plans. Check out Koodo's 48$ plan with 5gb. It's available in bc,ab, sk, and Manitoba. Koodo's network is much better for a few bucks more.
    11-29-16 11:07 PM
    Actually my speeds have suddenly jumped to 10mp download from the usual 2-3, they have said that they have not done any upgrades but that's crap. I am happier for sure and can live with that without lte. My across Canada $49 Alberta plan is suiting me well until they bump me whenever

BlackBerry Passport SE on OS 10.3.3.2049 Freedom Mobile after 7 yrs with Rogers
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    12-11-16 11:58 PM
    I pulled the pin with them 6 months ago. The only thing I miss is their usa roaming plans and their LD plans. Check out Koodo's 48$ plan with 5gb. It's available in bc,ab, sk, and Manitoba. Koodo's network is much better for a few bucks more.
    Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not looking to move. I know WIND has been a PITA (I've been with them for 7 years) but over the last 2 years I have seen major improvements in data speed, voice quality, and overall reliability. The speeds that I'm regularly getting are more than enough for my needs, I can watch Netflix with little or no buffering and I don't do RPGs. I'm on the original $50 10GB, unlimited US data, 2,400 minute US voice roaming plan and have no intention to change. As I said earlier, as subs migrate to LTE or simply leave, things will only get better.
    12-12-16 05:01 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not looking to move. I know WIND has been a PITA (I've been with them for 7 years) but over the last 2 years I have seen major improvements in data speed, voice quality, and overall reliability. The speeds that I'm regularly getting are more than enough for my needs, I can watch Netflix with little or no buffering and I don't do RPGs. I'm on the original $50 10GB, unlimited US data, 2,400 minute US voice roaming plan and have no intention to change. As I said earlier, as subs migrate to LTE or simply leave, things will only get better.
    I've been with them for almost 1.5 years. I don't mind there speeds. I just wish they land the spectrum that penetrates thick walls in 2017. There will be a government auction to address the problem in the new year. Hopefully the auction is early 2017. If they don't win the auction they will be forced to pony up a premium to land Videotrons unused spectrum in Southern Ontario. Videotrons unused spectrum in Ontario penetrates through thick walls.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 11:52 AM
    Well the speeds over the past days have varied between 10 and 15mb. In my short time it's never been like this where I live. Am happy, don't need faster, it seems stable. Cash in my pocket #fornow

BlackBerry Passport SE on OS 10.3.3.2049 Freedom Mobile after 7 yrs with Rogers
    12-13-16 09:51 PM
    Why are people complaining about Freedom LTE speeds when they probably don't have a phone yet that supports it?? ie: Band 66?
    12-17-16 09:43 PM
    Why are people complaining about Freedom LTE speeds when they probably don't have a phone yet that supports it?? ie: Band 66?
    The point of this thread is not to extol the virtues or otherwise of WIND's LTE but to get a real feel of whether the 3G speeds are useful enough for most people. Logic dictates that the more people who cross over to LTE the better the 3G network gets for those left or willing to stay behind. I don't need more speed than the average of 12Mb/s I'm constantly getting, I experience little or no lag and my voice calls are crystal clear. Of course, there are issues that are inherent with being on an AWS network that can never be solved by using Band 66 LTE but after very nearly 7 years with WIND I've learned to work around them.

The few WIND LTE speed tests I've seen over the last couple of days seems to show a disappointing average of 22Mb/s down in Toronto, and seriously, can anyone tell the difference?
    12-18-16 08:36 AM
    I'm on 3G with no LTE available until summer maybe. They seem to have introduced a new device that also supports their lte network though, and I'm sure there will be more.

I've endured more growing pains with them than I care to mention, and was just about to switch 2 months ago. Then they called me to say they added a new something-or-other and there has been a large improvement in my area since. So for now, I'm happy with my 2 lines.

My wife switched hers out though because she wanted an iPhone, but I'm hoping they get the Mercury at a decent price. Two lines with them still and hopefully that will continue.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 04:24 PM
    WIND/Freedom: What are your Pre LTE Speeds Like?-img_20170316_203232.png
    WIND/Freedom: What are your Pre LTE Speeds Like?-img_20170316_203608.png
    WIND/Freedom: What are your Pre LTE Speeds Like?-img_20170316_203946.png
    WIND/Freedom: What are your Pre LTE Speeds Like?-img_20170316_204104.png

These speed tests were taken at 8:46:53 PM on Thursday, 16 March 2017
    During the night, it's much faster. The bedroom is also the least ideal spot for signal and reception, it's constantly drifting. The bathroom is a constant drift to no signal, the whole apartment is generally okay.

Tests outside the walmart plaza yield 8-15 mbps down, 1-5 mbps up, at random.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    03-16-17 07:49 PM