better than 3G then? can do you a speed test? thanks
    02-19-13 09:35 PM
    I'm assuming the same would be true for the Z10. It would ultimately be Blackberry's decision to change or 'fix' the device since the specs indicate that it should not work on Wind's network but it somehow does. I'm really hoping they don't touch it as I don't see much value added for them but you never know.

Is it actually cheaper to make different variants in the same region rather than one? I can see how it would benefit the carriers (since they would lock in their consumers), but I'm not sure how it benefits the manufacturer. Then again, I know nothing about these bands, how they work, or how they're regulated so I don't think I'm qualified to speculate.
    You bought a phone with specs that does work on Wind's network because as I mentioned in the thread before, you don't need the 1700 MHz frequency, just the 2100 signal that the 91 Variant has. Wind already has phones on their networks that also do not have the 1700 frequency that work perfectly fine on their network. Please spread the word.

Just my opinion, but there is no way they could block a signal from a phone you purchased with the proper specs and a frequency that they use.

FYI my unlocked Koodo phone also displays 4G on the Wind network.
    Omar613 likes this.
    02-20-13 02:43 AM
    You bought a phone with specs that does work on Wind's network because as I mentioned in the thread before, you don't need the 1700 MHz frequency, just the 2100 signal that the 91 Variant has. Wind already has phones on their networks that also do not have the 1700 frequency that work perfectly fine on their network. Please spread the word.

Just my opinion, but there is no way they could block a signal from a phone you purchased with the proper specs and a frequency that they use.

Thanks buddy! I think I'm going to wait and see until next week if Wind does anything because I'd rather jump on their tab and have the phone subsidized a bit. $550 + around $30 unlock code is a lot when compared to the possible $350 that I'm thinking Wind will charge with their tab ($650 - $300 tab). It might also finally give us some insight into which variant Wind will be releasing and whether or not it will work on the big 3 if later one decides they had enough of Wind or if they're looking for LTE. The 'one' being me.
    02-21-13 01:41 PM
    But if you do go with wind than you would have to stay with the phone for three years to be worth it, which I can't do . If you leave by second year you would have to pay an extra 300

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 01:54 PM
    wind doesn't have contract... you can leave anytime you want. You will just need to pay off what you owe on the phone.

FYI, I don't actually use Wind. I'm on Telus... I was testing Wind because I will be using T-Mo SIM in USA
    02-21-13 04:25 PM
    i know wind doesnt have contract, its tab. but you pay 350 up front, and then if you stay on tab for 24 month (given a new BB comes out then), then you still have another 250 to pay, so total is 600 you are paying. but if you know you can stay for all 3 year, then its good, but i cant
    02-21-13 04:34 PM
    i know wind doesnt have contract, its tab. but you pay 350 up front, and then if you stay on tab for 24 month (given a new BB comes out then), then you still have another 250 to pay, so total is 600 you are paying. but if you know you can stay for all 3 year, then its good, but i cant
    Good call. I'll have to take that into consideration. Are you with Wind right now? If so, may I ask why you're thinking of switching and to which company?
    02-21-13 09:08 PM
    btw, with the new ruling you can leave anytime with telus and rogers too i guess, its same like wind and others, All you pay is the remaining cell phone price and thats it you are good to go .
    02-21-13 10:25 PM
    No I am pretty sure there is a cancellation fee for Roger and bell and fido ontop of the remaining price of the phone

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 10:40 PM

I had to create an account just to reply to you.

WIND Mobile Canada only owns AWS 1700 or UMTS Band IV licenses. If you want to use a phone on WIND then it must support AWS 1700/UMTS Band IV (see UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . As you can see from that link AWS 1700 does have overlapping DL frequencies with the IMT 2100/UMTS Band I spectrum, but you will be unable to use WIND's network if your phone does not have full AWS 1700/UMTS Band IV support.

Having said all that - the reason you think WIND is selling phones that don't support AWS 1700 is because the marketing people at WIND are morons.
    02-21-13 11:08 PM
    No I am pretty sure there is a cancellation fee for Roger and bell and fido ontop of the remaining price of the phone

Posted via CB10
    may be them three but i did ask telus my self and i was told, no there is no fees. All you do is pay for the phone. You can fight for the cancellation not a biggie
    02-21-13 11:35 PM
    Quick question. All Z10 updates are OTA now right?

I'm asking because I'm most likely getting this phone with Wind Mobile and we all know Wind sucks with updates (like the LG Optimus 2X). I do not wish to rely on Wind at all for updates for my device.
    02-21-13 11:51 PM
    I had to create an account just to reply to you.

WIND Mobile Canada only owns AWS 1700 or UMTS Band IV licenses. If you want to use a phone on WIND then it must support AWS 1700/UMTS Band IV (see UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . As you can see from that link AWS 1700 does have overlapping DL frequencies with the IMT 2100/UMTS Band I spectrum, but you will be unable to use WIND's network if your phone does not have full AWS 1700/UMTS Band IV support.

Having said all that - the reason you think WIND is selling phones that don't support AWS 1700 is because the marketing people at WIND are morons.
    I do agree with you that most WIND people are morons and that is why I did my own digging. So what you are saying is true, don't disagree, but what you are also saying is that the Z10 is not supposed to work on WIND's network theoretically? I would have to ask you to explain how the Samsung Galaxy Note II works on WIND's network as it does not have AWS Band IV 1700 MHz frequency. I could be wrong, but why would WIND carry a phone that does not have AWS? My unlocked Z10 91 Variant from Koodo works on the WIND network like everyone else.
    02-22-13 12:44 PM
    It might also finally give us some insight into which variant Wind will be releasing and whether or not it will work on the big 3 if later one decides they had enough of Wind or if they're looking for LTE. The 'one' being me.
    No problem sir. I hope Wind does come out with the phone because it has been way too long of a wait! If wind gets the one that specifically has the AWS band it should work on everyone's network if you unlock it as it includes all LTE and HSPA frequencies. At least in North America. So I think you should be fine with either variant. Good Luck!
    02-22-13 07:20 PM
    I do agree with you that most WIND people are morons and that is why I did my own digging. So what you are saying is true, don't disagree, but what you are also saying is that the Z10 is not supposed to work on WIND's network theoretically? I would have to ask you to explain how the Samsung Galaxy Note II works on WIND's network as it does not have AWS Band IV 1700 MHz frequency. I could be wrong, but why would WIND carry a phone that does not have AWS? My unlocked Z10 91 Variant from Koodo works on the WIND network like everyone else.
    The Note 2 that WIND sells has AWS Band IV, but the wind website has the incorrect specs posted. WIND only has licenses for band IV so if the phone works on Wind then it *must* have that band. I hate to cite wikipedia but here's some info on the note2 variant that wind is selling (SGH-T889V): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung...le_of_variants

I'm not really sure what RIM did with the RFK121LW vs RFF91LW, the only difference was supposed to be the addition of HSPA+ support on 1700 band for the RFK121LW. But if you think about this logically, it doesnt make sense for RIM to manufacture two variants that are almost identical. I suspect that RIM either decided to simplify their manufacturing or they were always meant to be identical but marketed differently? As a rim beta program participant I can tell you that RIM documentation is frequently incorrect

If you're waiting for WIND to release the Z10 apparently they are still waiting for deliveries from RIM. release date will be in the next week or so
    Last edited by harry azol; 02-23-13 at 12:37 PM.
    02-23-13 12:19 PM
    Well Sir, your argument supports my theory from another thread that the phones are the same, if what you are saying is true.

We could sit here and back and forth, but the main thing people should know is that it works! Wind advertises on their own site that Note 2 does not have AWS. As mentioned previously Telus site says 91 variant has AWS (Band IV).

Someone is not telling the whole truth, but as it is benefitting the consumer, I for one have no complaints!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 03:42 PM
    i do have Bell Z10 and is working on Mobilicity which is same AWS as wind
    02-27-13 10:48 PM
    Wind uses a different model than what the other carriers sell.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 10:49 PM
    i do have Bell Z10 and is working on Mobilicity which is same AWS as wind
    Can you get data working?
    02-27-13 11:14 PM
    Answer is yes. I bought a Blackberry Z10 Telus version RFF91LW. Got it unlocked from Blackberrycodesource.com and put a wind micro sim in. Even when the phone starts up you see the Wind logo. As well the Telus Z10's actually supports the 1700 Aws frequency if you look at the link here http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/blackberry_z10/ where It says in the details tab in the LTE section it mentions AWS (Band 4). Band 4 is 1700.
    I just got my phone up and running today, and its amazing and actually the browser and youtube streaming is pretty fast. Overall I am impressed. Hope this nullifies any disbeliefs because I was looking all over for answers. I took the plunge and ended up landing in water instead of quick sand
    j8330 likes this.
    03-11-13 05:45 PM
    actually the crtc ruled that contracts starting in December are only going be 2 years and there will be no more activation/cancellation fees. you will be able to leave you contract whenever you want providing you pay your remaining phone balance and bill. Carriers will also be required to a sell unlocked phones or b provide the unlock code. since most carriers in Canada at the mmnt provide the code for a minimal fee providing a certain criteria is met there should be no issues.

may be them three but i did ask telus my self and i was told, no there is no fees. All you do is pay for the phone. You can fight for the cancellation not a biggie
    09-07-13 02:10 AM
    I can also confirm that the STL100-3 91 works on wind. I did not know that wind had 4g it does not matter though as for battery related purposes I keep it on hspa anyways. I think that it is wind that is lying to us as well as they told me that a couple other phones I had way back when would not work and they did. The staff at wind are based on commission plus an hourly rate of pay so every phone they sell accounts to some pay advance so their going to talk down about most phones not sold by them. Example my gf has a galaxy note 2 from bell and they said it would not work they swore up and down it would not and it did. The q5 and Q10 both work aswell so that being said wind is either A lying or B does not know what they are talking about.

cal
    09-07-13 02:20 AM
    Sorry to dig up the old thread, but nobody bother to correct this one and to confirm it.

BB_Ooo, you are not proving anything and you are confusing everyone; when you said you don't need 1700 but only 2100 band to work on WIND. Wind is on UMTS Band IV, which is also called AWS band, which means it uses BOTH 1700 and 2100 for the network. And THUS, if you only have 2100 and not 1700, then it won't work.

But you kept saying it does. Which is "it" , first of all? You used example of Note 2 etc, but do you know there are Note 2 that has AWS (from factory) and those that don't (from factory)? You have to quote exact model number, not just a model (name). (same for BB).

There is no other reasons for the "sitting here back and forth" if you aren't that stubborn and realize that what you said was completely wrong. UMTS Band I and UMTS Band IV are two diff things, but nope, you said it's not, and you only need 2100 to work on WIND. 2100 alone meaning that it must be UMTS Band I (popular in Asia etc).

You didn't talk about specific model, you said it must work since some models which only have 2100 only work. Now it's your turn to prove it because nobody has been able to do it. (i.e. register on the network, making a call etc, not just seeing signal strength).
    02-04-14 01:30 AM
    yes the STL100-3 (both RFK and RFW versions) work on wind. I have tried one from koodo and wind 3G/4G showed up.
    02-04-14 11:04 AM
124 ... 345