Hey Guys,

So I was looking to "pull a Kevin" and purchase my Zed10 outright from Rogers (I think I have to do that month to month for a little bit or whatever). Anyway, upon unlocking it (if necessary) I'm thinking of putting it on the wind unlimited $40. Can anyone who has used this plan or has experience with Wind Mobile please provide me insight on what the service is like, how reliable the network coverage is in the Toronto area, and lastly how the wireless speeds are.
    02-15-13 07:24 PM
    i have wind unlimited. i have used it in 3 cities so far, edmonton, waterloo and toronto. some people dont like it, but i personally think its very good. i lose connections in basements, but most of those locations i have wifi. apart from that i see at least 3 bars. speed wise, its not fastest, but enough for me. i say its about 3mb download

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    02-15-13 07:37 PM
    I havthehe same unlimited 40 plan, coverage is good, speed good to (didn't do a speed test yet...don't know why) but i keep my torch "locked" on 3G...this prevents roaming, but improves wind coverage...I found that when the phone is in 3G+2G mode it goes in roaming too often, because wind's network is weaker than it's roaming partnes' ( mostly in stores and warehouses). In 3G only mode no issues like that.
    With the zed...if it roames on 3G...is fine...if LTE is available in roaming...great. but don't forget, wind's coverage is improving constantly...I would say for their rates, plans and attitude it's worth staying with them.
    02-15-13 09:11 PM
    I had bold 9000 unlocked from Rogers and it didn't work with wind at all.
    02-15-13 09:58 PM
    Hey Guys,

So I was looking to "pull a Kevin" and purchase my Zed10 outright from Rogers (I think I have to do that month to month for a little bit or whatever). Anyway, upon unlocking it (if necessary) I'm thinking of putting it on the wind unlimited $40. Can anyone who has used this plan or has experience with Wind Mobile please provide me insight on what the service is like, how reliable the network coverage is in the Toronto area, and lastly how the wireless speeds are.
    I think it's a non-starter since Wind uses different frequencies than do Rogers/Bell/Telus. In fact, only T-Mobile in the States uses the same frequencies in NA IIRC. Not sure even if Wind supports LTE. I bought and unlocked a Z10 and am currently using it on Bell Mobility and would love to try another carrier like Wind, but unfortunately their coverage out here in the boonies south of Ottawa is non-existent and (as I said) their wireless frequencies don't match up.
    02-15-13 10:09 PM
    we dont know why it works, but it just works some how, its already been proven. i personally havent unlocked mine, but i can detect wind 3G as well as mobi
    02-15-13 10:48 PM
    Are you saying an unlocked Rogers/FIDO Z10 will work on Wind's 3G?

Thanks

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 10:55 PM
    Coverage for Toronto is great for me. I have there original Holiday Miracle Plan and its awesome for me.
    02-15-13 11:30 PM
    If I set my Rogers Z10 to scan for available mobile networks "Wind 4G" shows up (as well as Bell and Telus).

So I assumed it would be compatible. So I nabbed my friend's Wind SIM and the phone recognized Wind but gave me a locked error.

After unlocking my Rogers Z10 my friend's Wind SIM worked.

02-16-13 12:02 AM
    If I set my Rogers Z10 to scan for available mobile networks "Wind 4G" shows up (as well as Bell and Telus).

So I assumed it would be compatible. So I nabbed my friend's Wind SIM and the phone recognized Wind but gave me a locked error.

After unlocking my Rogers Z10 my friend's Wind SIM worked.

what is the model number? RFF91LW? also on my koodo Z10 i see 4GLTE for both bell and telus, but only 3G for wind and mobi. what gives? i havent unlocked it yet
    02-16-13 07:42 AM
    what is the model number? RFF91LW? also on my koodo Z10 i see 4GLTE for both bell and telus, but only 3G for wind and mobi. what gives? i havent unlocked it yet
    I do indeed have the RFF91LW model. I live in Peterborough which happens to be the home town of one of the Wind mobile big wigs. He still has a home here so maybe there is some preferential treatment? Newer equipment as Wind just expanded here?

02-16-13 09:32 AM
    dont think its that, people all over have been reporting wind working with the RFF91LW model, on both 4G and 3G
    02-16-13 09:36 AM
    Okay .. so I jumped across the street and grabbed that Wind SIM again.

This is the network search screen grab from my house with my Rogers SIM installed.

BB Z10 Wind Mobile-rogers.jpg

And this is the screen grab with my buddy's Wind SIM installed.

BB Z10 Wind Mobile-wind.jpg

So the phone detected WIND 4G with the Rogers SIM but with the actual Wind SIM it only found and connected at 3G. I also noticed that the Rogers 4G isn't in the list using Wind SIM. Does the phone turn certain bands on or off based on the detected SIM?

Don't know if that clarifies things or not
    02-16-13 10:18 AM
    I no clue but we did see pictures of the phone with wind 4G
    02-16-13 10:26 AM
    I'm in the US so if wind and tmobile use the same bands I should be able to use it on hspa here. Lte I'm not sure about but I'm sure cleveland ohio won't have it for another year sooo
    02-19-13 12:58 AM
    Wind uses 1700 and 1900. The Z10 *apparently* can connect to the 1900 and work fine. That, or it's somehow mysteriously also connecting to the 1700 band.

Like the above users said - we don't know how it works, or why it works, just THAT it works.

(I have an unlocked Virgin Mobile Z10 on the $30 unlimited plan from Wind - the coverage is pretty good, I'd say 95% of places, not including basements and elevators)

=)
    -RG

EDIT: I'd highly recommend Virgin over Rogers. No activation charge, no cancellation charge... so really all you pay for is the phone and maybe 1 month of their cheapest plan. Worth it by far, IMHO!
    02-19-13 01:28 AM
    How about Virgin vs Wind?
    02-25-13 07:41 PM
    Wind uses 1700 and 1900. The Z10 *apparently* can connect to the 1900 and work fine. That, or it's somehow mysteriously also connecting to the 1700 band.

Like the above users said - we don't know how it works, or why it works, just THAT it works.

(I have an unlocked Virgin Mobile Z10 on the $30 unlimited plan from Wind - the coverage is pretty good, I'd say 95% of places, not including basements and elevators)

=)
    -RG

EDIT: I'd highly recommend Virgin over Rogers. No activation charge, no cancellation charge... so really all you pay for is the phone and maybe 1 month of their cheapest plan. Worth it by far, IMHO!
    How about Virgin vs. Wind $40 plan?
    02-25-13 07:42 PM
    Wind Mobile uses 1700 and 2100...not 1900. To fully support Wind your Z10 needs to support those frequencies...which most sub models don't.

You are likely using the 2100 band which every z10 supports...but you don't have coverage of Wind's entire network without 1700.

So keep that in mind.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 07:58 PM
    its confirmed to work almost everywhere. also wind is also using the RFF91LW version. seems like every carrier in canada is using same version. it will be released on wednesday
    02-25-13 08:06 PM
    Can those of you using an unlocked Z10 from a different carrier with a Wind SIM comment on the battery life you're getting? I'm only getting about 6 hours battery life with two different batteries, so I'm wondering if this might be due to the conflicting bands used by my Koodo-purchased Z10 or if I have a defective unit.
    03-08-13 11:40 AM
    How much do you use it, if I use it heavily I get like 5 hours . On a wind z10 on winds net work

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 11:44 AM
    No this is with minimal use even with everything but the cellular network turned off, all the battery maximizing steps taken, and for instance only a couple calls taken during that 6 hours.

How much do you use it, if I use it heavily I get like 5 hours . On a wind z10 on winds net work

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 12:06 PM