Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Vodafone BIS abroad

Hey guys,
    how does the BIS service work abroad?
    I mean, I have a BlackBerry with a Vodafone BIS service and I'm going to spend some months outside my country.
    I'm thinking to buy a new Vodafone phone card abroad and reactivate the BIS service with the new phone card.
    Is it possible without changing my device?

Do I have to disconnect my BIS service first?

Does BBM save all my contacts even though I have a new phone card?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Anyone there?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

What device?
    What country are you in now?
    What country are you going to?

You will need to release your BlackBerry PIN from your current carrier/provider and set up a new BIS account with the new provider.

All of your BBM contacts will remain the same. That information stored on the device.

You will also have to have the device unlocked if it is not already unlocked.

And with a new SIM card, your phone number will change.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Device: Bold 9700
    I'm now in Italy and I'm going to the UK.

No problem for the new phone number, I knew it

Btw I bought the device on my own; I mean I don't have to pay a bill to the phone company.

What happens if I leave with my actual SIM card without release my PIN and when I'm in the UK I put the new phone card in it?

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelloBass View Post
    Btw I bought the device on my own; I mean I don't have to pay a bill to the phone company.
    Not sure what this means. Even if you purchased your device outright, you still have to pay a carrier/provider for service. ??

And in order to use the device on a different carrier from the one to which it is branded, then device must first be unlocked. It might already be unlocked, but purchasing it outright doesn't have any bearing on that status.

Quote Originally Posted by CelloBass View Post
    What happens if I leave with my actual SIM card without release my PIN and when I'm in the UK I put the new phone card in it?
    You will be able to get phone and SMS service, but you will not be able to get data service. Your BlackBerry PIN can only be active with one BIS at a time.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Ok it means that I bought my BlackBerry online and I don't have to pay instalments for the device to the carrier.
    It is branded "Wind" but my SIM card is Vodafone and my BIS service is Vodafone.
    So when I turn on my device a "Wind" screen appears, but I use the device and the data service with a SIM card of another carrier (Vodafone).
    Does it mean that my device is already unlocked?

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

Yes. If you are using it already with a different carrier than the one to which it is branded, then it is already unlocked. To double check, go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card and type MEPD (the letters won't show up, but just type them). Read what is says next to "Network". Disabled or Inactive means it's unlocked.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Yep! Next to "Network" there is "Disabled".
    Ok so here are the steps, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. to call Vodafone Italy and tell them to release my pin;
    2. when I'm abroad, get into a phone shop and buy a new SIM card, telling them to activate the data service;
    3. ready to go!

How much the data service costs on Vodafone UK?
    Last edited by CelloBass; 02-06-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    PIN
    DROP SILENCE

This should help you. Vodafone UK has BIS on prepaid sim.

BlackBerry® Smartphones – Find out about BlackBerry on pay as you go on Vodafone

There are lots of service providers in UK and you could get a good deal on a new BB too, rather than using your old one.Do some research online before you go, so that you are all set.

O2 | Mobile Phones, Broadband & Sims From The UK's Leading Provider
    Pay As You Go plans for 3G mobile phones, Mobile Broadband & SIMs from 3
    Blackberry® now on pay as you go
    BlackBerry Pay As You Go Mobile Phones from T-Mobile

are some that I knew of.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thank you ritesh. I will check out those links!

Honestly, I don't want to get a new device; it means a new PIN and I will lose all my BBM contacts.
    That's why I'm looking only for a new SIM card with a data service.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

Another thing to factor in is that if you leave your BIS account active on your home network, with all your emails setup there, and are continuing to pay your contract in Italy, then simply activating BIS on a UK Pay As You Go sim card will allow you to pull your Italian BIS over here, without deregistering or re-registering anything.

If your Italian BIS becomes inactive then you would have to deregister and re-register here, but if you are intending to still pay your monthly bills in Italy, this would probably work out easier for you.

Ta
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Mmm why should I pay for two data plans? :P

Anyway, I didn't understand yet if it is mandatory to deregister my device before leaving.
    I have heard about people who left their country without disconnect the device.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

If your device is still registered anywhere in the world on a BIS plan that is active, you will NOT be able to register it anywhere else.

Sometimes if you are on a contract in your home country and you are returning in a few months, it makes sense to keep the contract going, and just put a PAYG sim into the phone whilst in another country, wouldn't only really be important if you use your Italian providers BlackBerry email address alot, if you don't - cancel the contract, de-register the device and then reregister it over here on a UK PAYG BIS plan.

Simple
    CrackBerry User

So if I was to go on holiday abroad and leave my Contract BIS Vodafone sim out and put in the local networks PAYG BIS enabled sim in and I dont need to de register and reregister? Just carry on recieving emails and use the blackberry functions?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

Exacto ! Yes, pop your Vodafone sim out, put the foreign sim in and activate BIS on it and you're off ! Emails and BBMs should start flying through. Just make sure the contract stays paid and up to date, as if BIS is terminated on the Vodafone sim whilst you're away, obviously that will stop everything
    Thanked by:
    andgee (03-12-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouseUK View Post
    Exacto ! Yes, pop your Vodafone sim out, put the foreign sim in and activate BIS on it and you're off ! Emails and BBMs should start flying through. Just make sure the contract stays paid and up to date, as if BIS is terminated on the Vodafone sim whilst you're away, obviously that will stop everything
    Cheers DangerMouseUK keeping the contract paid up is no problem we are only going away for two weeks

Hoping to when we fly to the Philippines where the Wifes family came from and slip into two globe sims and then when we leave bung back in our Vodafone sims.
    Just keep thinking there has to be a catch somewhere but i know im not paying Vodafones data charges for two BB's for a fortnight
    I was sure somehow Vodafone would try and charge me extra
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

Just make sure the provider you're talking about has a PAYG BIS option - no BIS option on the foreign sims, no access to your home BIS service ! A normal data plan will not suffice !
    CrackBerry Abuser

Umm I'm not sure that's true now.. Pretty sure these days, if you put another BIS enabled sim into your phone, your old BIS is deactivated automatially and you will need to setup your email accounts again on the new BIS system. When you return and put the original Sim back in, it will do the same again and you will need to update your email accounts again..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Oh ok which ever ways its no great worry if its just configuring email again Problem being you cant ask Vodafone as of course they will not answer a question allowing you to use another companies sim.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by darkone338 View Post
    Umm I'm not sure that's true now.. Pretty sure these days, if you put another BIS enabled sim into your phone, your old BIS is deactivated automatially and you will need to setup your email accounts again on the new BIS system. When you return and put the original Sim back in, it will do the same again and you will need to update your email accounts again..

Give it a try and see - it won't

It might attempt to attach an *unattached* PIN to the phone if you've wiped said device and invoked the OS6 welcome setup for email. This would apply to OS6 devices only. Otherwise, nope.

Background : I work deep inside Vodafone Group with all manners of problems that even the 3rd level techs can't fix.

If you'd like I can PM you some KB articles from the BlackBerry knowledgebase discussing these very topics, otherwise, just take my word for it !
    CrackBerry Abuser

Happy to take your word on it... But you should inform your support staff who repeatedly tell people on the eforum that this its the way to deregister devices....

CrackBerry User

Give it a try and see - it won't

It might attempt to attach an *unattached* PIN to the phone if you've wiped said device and invoked the OS6 welcome setup for email. This would apply to OS6 devices only. Otherwise, nope.

Background : I work deep inside Vodafone Group with all manners of problems that even the 3rd level techs can't fix.

If you'd like I can PM you some KB articles from the BlackBerry knowledgebase discussing these very topics, otherwise, just take my word for it !
    Oucch I dont wanna be having a *unattached* PIN on my Torch So I wont be wiping just hoping it picks up from where it is once the Globe sim is inserted

I'm guessing on a OS 6 device i could just go to the setup icon click on emails and add email accounts if i so needed while on holiday not sure why i would want to but.. Sorry if a daft statment I have a Technical background but fairly new to BB's.

But to be honest I could live with out Emails for two weeks as long as BBM, the bb social networking apps worked. But it be nice.

I take it os 5 is unlikely to have an issue with unattached pins?

If you could PM me some KB Articles i would be very intrested even though i just use the phones as a "I.T" bod i end up as Tech support for all those in the family with BB's so happy to pick up as much knowledge as possible..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by darkone338 View Post
    Happy to take your word on it... But you should inform your support staff who repeatedly tell people on the eforum that this its the way to deregister devices....

Lol luckily I dont work directly with most people involved with the UK network, but yes, off the record, 80% of them are dire. Lol.
    If you ever have a real issue, 0808 0081181 is the number for the UK CEO's Complaints department, akin to the Executive Office of other networks, handy number to have to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by andgee View Post
    Oucch I dont wanna be having a *unattached* PIN on my Torch So I wont be wiping just hoping it picks up from where it is once the Globe sim is inserted

I'm guessing on a OS 6 device i could just go to the setup icon click on emails and add email accounts if i so needed while on holiday not sure why i would want to but.. Sorry if a daft statment I have a Technical background but fairly new to BB's.

But to be honest I could live with out Emails for two weeks as long as BBM, the bb social networking apps worked. But it be nice.

I take it os 5 is unlikely to have an issue with unattached pins?

If you could PM me some KB Articles i would be very intrested even though i just use the phones as a "I.T" bod i end up as Tech support for all those in the family with BB's so happy to pick up as much knowledge as possible..
    Hey bro, just a few quick clarifications,

If you get off the plane, and pull your battery out, pop the local sim with BIS activated on it into the phone and put the battery back in, you will be fine.

If the EMAIL setup runs on the phone which is normally only after a wipe and fresh boot of a BB or user initiated, it will try and instantly lob the PIN into a BB BIS account, however it will only be able to do this if the PIN is unattached, yours is attached to a BIS account with Vodafone UK, so it won't affect you.

With it being 2am and me needing to get into bed - I'll get onto those KB's tomorrow, BUT most stuff can be found here :

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

Thats the landing page for the Knowledge Base, maybe BIS + Activation might be a good starting point, or using Google to crawl that index is also probably a good idea as the inbuilt RIM search is flakey.

Jog my memory tomorrow and I'll try to dig them out !
    Thanked by:
    andgee (03-17-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

great post Dangermouse cheers

Sometimes large companies don't do themselves any good yes i know they might lose out on some data and call charges but a happy customer...

I happily use data in Europe for a few days as simpler than swapping numbers etc but if we're going to a place where Vodafone doesn't offer a reasonable deal out goes the Vodafone sim for the duration.

Normal phones/smartphones not a problem but was a little wary with BB's so good to read confirmation from someone clued up.
    Otherwise it means going via customer services Level one and talking to a wall for a few days at least if something had gone wrong

Having a look at BB's knowledge base i see what you mean its not easy to search on it!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me

I know its a bit of a hassle, if you didn still need any advice on how to best use your Vodafone setup in the Philipines then PM me your details and I'll get someone who knows whats going on to call you, obviously they won't help with putting a foreign providers SIM in, but if you were interested in knowing your best options whilst keeping your UK sim in the phone, they could help.

There are Global Data bundles for use outside EU, think its around 100 quid for 200mb, for one month - don't quote me on that - I don't have direct access to Voda UK tariffs but I remember getting them assigned for some people a while ago when something like that made sense, working out at 50p a meg instead of the 3gbp for first 5mb then 15gbp per mb after that - that it is now ! lol

Anyway need anything else just shout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast