Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB Z10 available on 31 Jan 2013 in South Africa

According to the website of online South African cellular phone retailer CaCell, the Z10 (BB London) will be in stock and for sale as from 31 Jan 2013 at R8999 (about $1000 US!) Wow. Expensive (without contract) but at least it seems BB10 phones will be available right after the launch here in South Africa. Can't wait!

Blackberry London
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Quote Originally Posted by cyberwombat View Post
    According to the website of online South African cellular phone retailer CaCell, the Z10 (BB London) will be in stock and for sale as from 31 Jan 2013 at R8999 (about $1000 US!) Wow. Expensive (without contract) but at least it seems BB10 phones will be available right after the launch here in South Africa. Can't wait!

Blackberry London
    How big are they in SA? CaCell I mean. Are they a serious source, or just a small website trying to get attention?
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

They are a well known online dealer in South Africa and have a good reputation. They own a major cellular franchise (Autopage) store in Sandton, Johannesburg. So I would think they are credible. I will try and get confirmation from them via telephone.
    CrackBerry User

That is way to expensive!! If it was a 64GB version, then it would make more sense, but its not...

I realy think that the price is going to come down from that after the launch next week.

I'm also in SA, and I'm waiting for my upgrade that is to be april..
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Phoned their call center and they confirm they will make a limited amount of units available as soon as the launch has happened. They do have stock...
    Thanked by:
    kevinnugent (01-23-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Chris, I agree it is expensive, but I would not let that worry you right now. This is a launch price that will obviously be aimed at generating a lot of profit for a long awaited product. You will pay a premium for that, and also consider the Bold is retailing for over R6000 still - even now (unless you shop wisely). It is likely there will be much better deals via the major cellular providers, such as Vodacom, MTN, Cell C. The providers will push contracts, rather than prepaid units anyway.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

It is simple,

in SA they Bleed People Dry, especially if it is a "special import" and "pre release hardware"

So it will propably drop to a R6399 cash price after launch ( Still a little harsh) and on R349 Contracts including some form of BIS
    Z10 or Nothing!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20EB1810

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticRift View Post
    It is simple,

in SA they Bleed People Dry, especially if it is a "special import" and "pre release hardware"
    Yeah, I have a few friends in Jberg, and whenever they buy any electronics they scream about how much they are getting ripped off compared to the rest of the world. I doubt this is an indication of how it'll be priced in the rest of the world. Although it is really positive to see someone gearing up to shift units the second Heins is done speaking. That's awesome. Really great sign. No way would RIM let them get away with advertising that if they weren't letting other people do it too. 7 more days ladies and gents, plus one more for overnight shipping. Mmmhmm.
    CrackBerry User

Vodacom will be selling BB10 on the 5 feb. Great ;-)
    cyberwombat likes this.
    CrackBerry User

@ waltervh
    Thanx for the info! Can't wait to get mine! Want to silence the android and ios users at work who has been in my face about blackberry haha!!
    cyberwombat likes this.
    CrackBerry User

WOW!!! This can only be good news for everyone wanting the Z10, If this is how quick all carriers in the launch regions will be rolling it out then I will be one very HAPPY CHAPPY!!! GO RIM!!!
    #BB10BELIEVE
    CrackBerry Newbie

All phones are sold unlocked here in SA, hence the pricing.
    CrackBerry Genius

haha more news of early release.It makes sense really RIM are suppose to be doing everything better than it was done previously.With the long promo they have been teasing us with they may as well surprise us with early release.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by waltervh View Post
    Vodacom will be selling BB10 on the 5 feb. Great ;-)
    Where did you get this info, because i have spoken to numerous people at Vodacom an everyone gives me a different answer. They say anything from mid Feb to mid March?
    CrackBerry User

I am also not so sure anymore?
    Sales training starts on Monday, so maybe end of next week if we are lucky..

Why can Vodacom not give us a date ???? Weird
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by waltervh View Post
    I am also not so sure anymore?
    Sales training starts on Monday, so maybe end of next week if we are lucky..

Why can Vodacom not give us a date ???? Weird
    Sounds more like the SA carriers were sleeping on the job if you ask me. Only starting sales training on Monday? I emailed them about two weeks ago and then they were already busy testing the phones on the network...

Does anyone know yet, whether the phones will work on the BIS plan or will it work on standard data like the Android and Apple phones?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

It's pretty frustrating at the moment as it seems that we will only get it at the end of the month, but besides 8ta who have stated it will be available 1st of March, the other carriers are silent. What was the point of having a launch event in Jhb, if network provides are only going too keep us in the dark again?

I hate waiting but if we at least had an indication of local pricing and availability , it would be bearable
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Quote Originally Posted by invitro7 View Post
    It's pretty frustrating at the moment as it seems that we will only get it at the end of the month, but besides 8ta who have stated it will be available 1st of March, the other carriers are silent. What was the point of having a launch event in Jhb, if network provides are only going too keep us in the dark again?

I hate waiting but if we at least had an indication of local pricing and availability , it would be bearable
    Join the club. Same situation in 99% of countries Blackberry are in.
    CrackBerry User

We contacted Brightstar Corporation, who distribute BB in SA. They said the earliest date for release here is 14 February. But all our carriers except 8ta are apparently mute so I don't know what to expect. I just don't understand why we are not ready for release.

I have been waiting since last August for the BB10, when my contract ended. I am now on prepaid BIS, which I renew monthly and which expires on the 12th. I am still deciding if I should take the chance and not renew it and live without my service for 2 days... Or longer! I just can't wait to hold my white Z10 in my hands!

It's nice to have small worries right :-)
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Ousus View Post
    We contacted Brightstar Corporation, who distribute BB in SA. They said the earliest date for release here is 14 February. But all our carriers except 8ta are apparently mute so I don't know what to expect. I just don't understand why we are not ready for release.

I have been waiting since last August for the BB10, when my contract ended. I am now on prepaid BIS, which I renew monthly and which expires on the 12th. I am still deciding if I should take the chance and not renew it and live without my service for 2 days... Or longer! I just can't wait to hold my white Z10 in my hands!

It's nice to have small worries right :-)
    Thanks for contacting them, at least that gives us some indication of what to expect. Most Vodacom agents say the second week of February, which would give us a date of around the 14th, so lets see.

My excitement has been somewhat dampened when I saw that the Music and movies is not available in the South African Blackberry World store.

I also hope they release Whatsapp before the 14th.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

I was disappointed when South Africa didnt have the phone on shelves as soon as it launched. I've read around the internet that Heins referred to SA as a priority one market..
    "I want to say thank you to the South African customers of BlackBerry – they have created a tremendous success story, and they deserve our thanks and respect," he said in an exclusive interview.
    "South Africa is a priority one market for us, and we will acknowledge that with the launch of BlackBerry 10. There will be three waves in taking it to global markets, and South Africa and Nigeria are in the top range of Wave 1 launches" just google the keyboards -south africa priority one market bb. There are a few results.
    I supposed since the Vodafone UK were so eager to have it available on launch, it felt as if we as the smaller country were forgotten.. I know its also the carriers but i think BB could've pushed more. SInce Vodacom in SA is majority owned by Vodafone UK..
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Heins said that about every market he spoke in. Don't worry about it. He seems fluent in CorporateSpeak.
    CrackBerry Genius

That is unfair, he never came out to that extent in many locations and the logical inference from this is that SA was part of this first wave and the carriers over there are simply slower off the mark than those in either the UK or Canada.
    CrackBerry User

I know my locally directed google is bias, but search "priority one market blackberry" i'm sure many of the results on the first page will mention nigeria and sa. Also found a result saying japan not a priority market. True @skeevecr but on phoning the service providers the problem seems to be getting stock..
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    That is unfair, he never came out to that extent in many locations and the logical inference from this is that SA was part of this first wave and the carriers over there are simply slower off the mark than those in either the UK or Canada.
    He said the same thing about Australia. It was an "absolute focus" market. We'll be lucky to see carriers here with them by mid March.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast