Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sashko
  1. Sashko's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Thumbs down Virgin Mobile Canada (VMC) making BlackBerrys unappealing with their rate plans

    Has anyone noticed how Virgin Mobile Canada allows flex data for all smartphones except for BlackBerrys? I wonder if it's because of the data compression on BBs being so good or else because of BIS costs that the carrier must pay RIM.

    Whatever the reason, it's rather unfortunate that it has to be this way, as I personally would be saving money if I could go on a flex plan as the option of either 100MB or 2 gigs is a bit of a huge jump for me (100MB isn't enough, and 2 gigs is way more than what I need). I really wish they could make flex plans work with BlackBerrys. I feel that's part of the reason why people are choosing Androids over BlackBerrys too :-(
    carullo likes this.
  2. carullo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    530 Posts
    PIN
    ask
    #2  

    Default

    since bell took over virgin their plans took a nosedive......have u looked into wind mobile..not sure about the coverage in your area,but im gonna give them a shot when i get paroled from bell in 6 months or less
  3. Sashko's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I travel too much outside of Wind's coverage area, so it's a no-go for me. Plus I just bought a brand new Curve 9320 for a sweet price of $150 + tax with no contract/tab, so on all accounts, Virgin's my best bet at this point Just wish they were more FLEXible ;-)
  4. BGK
    BGK is offline
    BGK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,339 Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: Virgin Mobile Canada (VMC) making BlackBerrys unappealing with their rate plans

    I am pretty happy with Virgin mobile Canada, my 3 year plan was done, so I've carried on in a monthly prepaid and I managed to get in on the 6 gb data, 200 min, with international text/pic plan that was offered for about $70 - don't really need 6gb data but I can use my 9900 as a hotspot for my daughter's phone or my playbook when we're out of wifi range. I haven't seen anything else ofred like that on Rogers or Bell so it seems good to me.
    BGK
    libertybk on Twitter
    Canada/USA
  5. smoothrunnings's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,364 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I am pretty happy with the level of service I have with VMC but I am not happy with their new device roll out. I had to buy my Torch 9860 from Bell Canada getting 3 months of just the basic service so I could unlock the phone and use it with my VMC server because Virgin refused to sell any of the Torch devices. I would hate to have to cancel my service with them all together now because they won't offer the BB10 devices after Jan 30th.
  6. Edward in Toronto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    271 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    Has anyone noticed how Virgin Mobile Canada allows flex data for all smartphones except for BlackBerrys? I wonder if it's because of the data compression on BBs being so good or else because of BIS costs that the carrier must pay RIM.(
    I got the flex / pay as you go data plan from Virgin Mobile. I got the Silver 20 plan. I signed up at the end of February. I got it at a Virgin Mobile Kiosk at the Mall.

    The next day I noticed that my data wasn't working. So I phoned tech support, and they told me that I need to also buy a data plan. I said no, it's available without an extra data plan on there website, and the guy at the Virgin Mobile Kiosk sold me a the Silver 20 plan without an extra data plan. She told me I was wrong. I told her she was wrong. We had a big blow out, so I asked to speak to her manager, when didn't get my anywhere. So I bought an extra data plan for $20. Then Virgin Mobile sent me a servery email, asking me how things were. I checked everything at 0 on it, that I was totally dissatisfied, and in the box for extra comments, I wrote that I now hate Virgin mobile because of the service I got from data support. That I was going to go all internet to all the forum boards, and all the blogs and all the social media, and tell everyone to stay away from Virgin Mobile, that I was going to make it my hobby.

    They wrote back and said I was right and tech support was wrong, and after a few emails straightened it out, and removed the extra data plan from my account. So I only have the Silver 20 plan which includes 'pay as you go' data.
  7. Sashko's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward in Toronto View Post
    I got the flex / pay as you go data plan from Virgin Mobile. I got the Silver 20 plan. I signed up at the end of February. I got it at a Virgin Mobile Kiosk at the Mall.

    The next day I noticed that my data wasn't working. So I phoned tech support, and they told me that I need to also buy a data plan. I said no, it's available without an extra data plan on there website, and the guy at the Virgin Mobile Kiosk sold me a the Silver 20 plan without an extra data plan. She told me I was wrong. I told her she was wrong. We had a big blow out, so I asked to speak to her manager, when didn't get my anywhere. So I bought an extra data plan for $20. Then Virgin Mobile sent me a servery email, asking me how things were. I checked everything at 0 on it, that I was totally dissatisfied, and in the box for extra comments, I wrote that I now hate Virgin mobile because of the service I got from data support. That I was going to go all internet to all the forum boards, and all the blogs and all the social media, and tell everyone to stay away from Virgin Mobile, that I was going to make it my hobby.

    They wrote back and said I was right and tech support was wrong, and after a few emails straightened it out, and removed the extra data plan from my account. So I only have the Silver 20 plan which includes 'pay as you go' data.
    Sounds like you must be using a device running BB 10, as otherwise the flex plan would not work with your BB.
  8. BGK
    BGK is offline
    BGK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,339 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    I travel too much outside of Wind's coverage area, so it's a no-go for me. Plus I just bought a brand new Curve 9320 for a sweet price of $150 + tax with no contract/tab, so on all accounts, Virgin's my best bet at this point Just wish they were more FLEXible ;-)
    I picked up a nice plan for my brother (it was a special offer at 3x the noted amounts so I got 600 mg data, 300 min talk plus unlimited texting etc and 10% off for about $35) if you are able to, every so often stop at the Virgin kiosk in any mall and check in to see what's being offered, there's always something going on. I've been with Virgin mobile Canada for years and wouldn't change to any other carrier.
    BGK
    libertybk on Twitter
    Canada/USA
  9. BGK
    BGK is offline
    BGK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,339 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Further to this, I got a Z10 in Feb and then a Q10 in July, same plan (see below) transferred over to BB10, no problems. Virgin mobile Canada is awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    I am pretty happy with Virgin mobile Canada, my 3 year plan was done, so I've carried on in a monthly prepaid and I managed to get in on the 6 gb data, 200 min, with international text/pic plan that was offered for about $70 - don't really need 6gb data but I can use my 9900 as a hotspot for my daughter's phone or my playbook when we're out of wifi range. I haven't seen anything else ofred like that on Rogers or Bell so it seems good to me.
    BGK
    libertybk on Twitter
    Canada/USA

Posting Permissions