Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
  1. tennistim777's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Why is Verizon so slow in it's BB releases?

    Hello, everyone. I am absolutely dieing reading all these wonderful reviews on the Bold and Javelin, and not hearing anything if Verizon is going to be getting them, and if they do it MAY not be until next year. I like my Verizon service but am very disappointed that they always seem way behind the current offerings from other carriers. My contract is coming to it's end and I'm thinking of jumping ship. Thank you, in advance, to all that reply!
    Last edited by tennistim777; 07-04-2008 at 01:07 PM.
  2. mding4gold's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,420 Posts
    PIN
    Wheel
    #2  

    Default

    They are slow in releasing new phones, because they spend too much time trying to find ways to disable all of the cool features.....
    The USDA recommends at least 5 servings of CrackBerry a day.
  3. SonnyBerry's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I suppose you could also say that with the nation's most reliable network, you don't need to rely on the newest, cutest, trendiest phones to get customers.

    I always tell people, if you want the next trendy phone to swing from your hips, go with AT&T. If you want to actually reliably make calls in the largest number of locations, you will go with Verizon. It just depends on your priorities. I have cell service so that I can use my phone whenever and wherever I want. I don't care whether the phone is silver or pink.
  4. berrywhite's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,624 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,625 Global Posts
    PIN
    Stack.com aint got nothin on us!!!!
    #4  

    Default

    Its not just VZW. As there are so many GSM Carriers around the world compared to CDMA. If you notice Alltel and Sprint are always delayed since phone manufacturers push out GSM versions first then worry about CDMA.
    When in doubt pull the battery out!!!
    Be sure to Check out the Hottest Thread on CB.com The Crackberry Players Club!
    Want your favorite TV show's on your Blackberry? Be sure to check out videos4blackberry
  5. ok4a56's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,393 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #5  

    Default

    I have been with Verizon for so long, I am now in the grove and don't care waiting.

    I am not going to get upset that I only have silver to pick from.

    After all, it is just a phone.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  6. Arninetyes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    511 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Why is Verizon so slow in it's BB releases?

    Because it takes time and money to properly disable features in such a way that VZW can charge extra for their use.

    Oh - and has already been pointed out, VZW isn't GSM, so their phones get developed after phones for all the GSM carriers.

    That is one reason the Thunder is such a gamble. VZW first.
  7. kwsmithphoto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    251 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I read on Engadget that the Curve is designed to hit the ground running as either CDMA or GSM, so it might appear sooner than usual (not a year later like the Curve).
  8. X RAY TECH's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    142 Posts
    PIN
    319D9F72
    #8  

    Default

    The Bold is so far away for Verizon that Im not even thinking about it. I bet when they do release it, it will be available in silver (that we know for sure).
  9. mikells43's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    349 Posts
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask!
    #9  

    Default

    verizon only disables the gps as far as i kno. and its for the consumers saftey so they say (?) but i dont care waiting . im getting and making land line quality cell calls on vzw so im happy. and the data is supurb also with evdo
  10. tennistim777's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyBerry View Post
    I suppose you could also say that with the nation's most reliable network, you don't need to rely on the newest, cutest, trendiest phones to get customers.

    I always tell people, if you want the next trendy phone to swing from your hips, go with AT&T. If you want to actually reliably make calls in the largest number of locations, you will go with Verizon. It just depends on your priorities. I have cell service so that I can use my phone whenever and wherever I want. I don't care whether the phone is silver or pink.
    Is this to say that if I went with At&t my cell phone service wouldn't be as reliable? When I had Cingular years ago, I never had a problem. I would only assume they have only gotten better since At&t has taken over. I have friends that swear by Big Blue.
  11. flscubaguy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    55 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    If you check the carrier based blogs you will see that customers often are very protective of their carriers.
    I have Alltel, excellent service but its actually less money for me to upgrade on snother carrier. I'm likely switching to Verizon as their network is comparable and they will be merging with Alltel soon enough.
    Its all preference.
    I think the claim they disable GPS for our safety is laughable. But since I really don't need it for GPA its a non issue for me.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. Dodge DeBoulet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tennistim777 View Post
    Is this to say that if I went with At&t my cell phone service wouldn't be as reliable? When I had Cingular years ago, I never had a problem. I would only assume they have only gotten better since At&t has taken over. I have friends that swear by Big Blue.
    Since when did IBM get into the cell phone business?

    (AT&T == "Deathstar", IBM == "Big Blue")
  13. tennistim777's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Deboulet View Post
    Since when did IBM get into the cell phone business?

    (AT&T == "Deathstar", IBM == "Big Blue")
    "Cingular is now 'The NEW AT&T'!!" There's a new sheriff in town. LOL!! Thank you for the correction.
  14. Arninetyes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    511 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    If you're in the right area and you don't travel much, ATT is great. But, if you have to travel outside of your home area, VZW has the best coverage. I truly wish it weren't so. Not a fan of VZW.

    Not only does VZW disable GPS, they cripple Bluetooth - no file transfers. They claim it's to protect copyrights. Notice - no VZW wifi on Berrys, either.

    Blech. But I have to use them for the coverage.
  15. Dodge DeBoulet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arninetyes View Post
    If you're in the right area and you don't travel much, ATT is great. But, if you have to travel outside of your home area, VZW has the best coverage. I truly wish it weren't so. Not a fan of VZW.

    Not only does VZW disable GPS, they cripple Bluetooth - no file transfers. They claim it's to protect copyrights. Notice - no VZW wifi on Berrys, either.

    Blech. But I have to use them for the coverage.
    They don't cripple BT file transfers on BlackBerries; at least, my Curve with 4.3 firmware handles them just fine. And there's no CDMA Blackberry with wifi, so it's not exactly easy for VZW to offer one. Given EVDO speeds, there's no strong argument for 802.11b anyway.

    Other vendors forgo GPS to offer Wifi. Frankly, on CDMA/EVDO, I'd rather have GPS I can use when I need to (albeit only with VZNav), then Wifi that is effectively irrelevant given the speed of the EVDO network.
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 07-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
  16. Bccovington's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    The reason it takes so long is because most all phones (especially Blackberry devices) are built with GSM in mind first. Since the phone is distributed globally, it makes the most since from a fiscal standpoint.
    After that initial release, Verizon constructs a contract, and a bid for RIM. RIM then decides if it is in there best interest to mass produce a CDMA device. After that, VZW tailors the device to their specific needs/wants. I.E. no free navigation..
  17. ballinsol14's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    719 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ok4a56 View Post
    I have been with Verizon for so long, I am now in the grove and don't care waiting.

    I am not going to get upset that I only have silver to pick from.

    After all, it is just a phone.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    just a phone!??! how can you say that its the smartest phone ever!
  18. ballinsol14's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    719 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bccovington View Post
    The reason it takes so long is because most all phones (especially Blackberry devices) are built with GSM in mind first. Since the phone is distributed globally, it makes the most since from a fiscal standpoint.
    After that initial release, Verizon constructs a contract, and a bid for RIM. RIM then decides if it is in there best interest to mass produce a CDMA device. After that, VZW tailors the device to their specific needs/wants. I.E. no free navigation..
    yes verizon is all about taking away RIM built in services and using their own services like VZnav and so forth
  19. lastraid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,801 Posts
    PIN
    NED To A Wall
    #19  

    Default

    GPS is disabled on VZW for network security issues. This is the only reason that I am aware of. The reason VZW is slow at releasing anything not just BB, is the fact VZW tests everything to assure to best of VZW's knowledge it will work.

    Best laid plans of mice and men, once it is out to public, more things are found and patches and updates issued.
  20. Dodge DeBoulet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ballinsol14 View Post
    yes verizon is all about taking away RIM built in services and using their own services like VZnav and so forth
    You claim VZW has taken away "services." What services, other than restricting GPS to their own VZNav application, has Verizon taken away from the Blackberry? Please be specific.

    In other words, what do you mean by "and so forth?"
  21. ok4a56's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,393 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey
    #21  

    Default

    What security issues? My secret location mat be shown

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  22. lastraid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,801 Posts
    PIN
    NED To A Wall
    #22  

    Default

    From what I understand it has something to do with being able to access the network. unfortunatly, I am not privi to that info. I just get access to the official releases from VZW
  23. chocodove's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ballinsol14 View Post
    yes verizon is all about taking away RIM built in services and using their own services like VZnav and so forth
    What is "and so forth"? There is nothing else on the phone that will not work out of the box. If you want GPS, you use VzNav, which is actually a very fine application.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  24. Delegator's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    I don't care whether VZNav is a very fine application, I care that it's forced on me if I want to use the hardware built into the phone. How you can defend that practice is beyond reason -- the only reason they cripple the GPS is to make another $10/month off VZNav. Yes, that's their right, but I and others don't have to like it.

    As to the "and so forth" , Verizon does have a clear track record of milking the user to access a phone's basic capabilities. It's not just about RIM devices. For my previous LG phone they disabled bluetooth file transfers and forced you to buy a ridiculously overpriced cable and set of crappy earbuds in order to transfer MP3s to the phone.

    They only offer wifi on their Windows Mobile devices. You can claim that wifi isn't needed because EV-DO is so fast, but there are important places where I can get a wifi signal but no cell signal (like, right here in my office).

    Like many, I'm with Verizon only because they have good coverage. What I am really looking forward to is the day they open their network and we hopefully see manufacturers selling devices with open GPS, and/or Wifi, and/or full function bluetooth. That's supposed to happen in December, but I'll believe it when I see it.
  25. Dodge DeBoulet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delegator View Post
    I don't care whether VZNav is a very fine application, I care that it's forced on me if I want to use the hardware built into the phone. How you can defend that practice is beyond reason -- the only reason they cripple the GPS is to make another $10/month off VZNav. Yes, that's their right, but I and others don't have to like it.
    And you're perfectly free to vote with your wallet. If you don't like Verizon's practices, give your business to someone else.

    As to the "and so forth" , Verizon does have a clear track record of milking the user to access a phone's basic capabilities. It's not just about RIM devices. For my previous LG phone they disabled bluetooth file transfers and forced you to buy a ridiculously overpriced cable and set of crappy earbuds in order to transfer MP3s to the phone.
    The poster to which I was responding said:

    yes verizon is all about taking away RIM built in services and using their own services like VZnav and so forth
    You can certainly bring up other phones from the same provider, but this is a Blackberry-centric site, the post was specifically regarding VZW disabling RIM built-in features, so your argument is a straw man.

    They only offer wifi on their Windows Mobile devices. You can claim that wifi isn't needed because EV-DO is so fast, but there are important places where I can get a wifi signal but no cell signal (like, right here in my office).
    You know, they have these things called "computers" that are often found in offices. You might want to invest in one, I hear they're great productivity enhancements

    Like many, I'm with Verizon only because they have good coverage. What I am really looking forward to is the day they open their network and we hopefully see manufacturers selling devices with open GPS, and/or Wifi, and/or full function bluetooth. That's supposed to happen in December, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    I hope your wishes come true
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions