CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default what will Att do?

When people start to realize that their talk and surf at the same time selling point works on Verizon too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

And T-mobile also

CrackBerry Abuser

Not on 3G it doesn't.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    PIN
    NA

I dont think I could do it on my droid 2
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

It works on the Thunderbolt, correct?
    I don't even use that feature at all, so it doesn't matter to me.
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,802 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?

It only works on the 4G phones (like ThunderBolt) and you have to be in a 4G coverage area since the data can't run on the CDMA network at the same time with voice. So, since not everyone can get 4G service, AT&T still does have a small advantage there. Of course AT&T's 3G coverage isn't all that great either, so it's not that hard to get left out with them either...

That said, I don't think that many people use that feature anyway, and I'd be willing to bet that a very large percentage of people don't even know they CAN do that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    PIN
    3308c41c

Yea I don't believe a lot of ppl know that they can do it but I do it daily. Its awesome especially if that person is boring u

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,629 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH0308 View Post
    It only works on the 4G phones (like ThunderBolt) and you have to be in a 4G coverage area since the data can't run on the CDMA network at the same time with voice.
    Some how the Thunderbolt can talk and surf at the same time even in 3G. I was in the Verizon store last week when the sales associate showed this to me. I do not live in an LTE (4G) area. We do not know how HTC pulls this off but it works.
    4.7.0.148 --> 5.0.0.328 --> 5.0.0.419 --> 5.0.0.797 --> 5.0.0.973 --> 5.0.0.1041

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
    Thanked by:
    californiablackberry (03-28-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

It works in 3g as well.

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH0308 View Post
    It only works on the 4G phones (like ThunderBolt) and you have to be in a 4G coverage area since the data can't run on the CDMA network at the same time with voice. So, since not everyone can get 4G service, AT&T still does have a small advantage there. Of course AT&T's 3G coverage isn't all that great either, so it's not that hard to get left out with them either...

That said, I don't think that many people use that feature anyway, and I'd be willing to bet that a very large percentage of people don't even know they CAN do that.
    I definitely have a Thunderbolt, and I definitely can surf and talk at the same time. In 3g.
    Already wanting another to add to the family
    CrackBerry Genius

Yes, the Thunderbolt can make calls/do data at the same time in 3G, not just 4G. I used this feature recently in my college town, where I do not have 4G (I have 4G at home though) and the feature still worked like a charm.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by valorian View Post
    Some how the Thunderbolt can talk and surf at the same time even in 3G. I was in the Verizon store last week when the sales associate showed this to me. I do not live in an LTE (4G) area. We do not know how HTC pulls this off but it works.
    I'm having trouble with this, how HTC does it doesn't appear to be the hurdle to me...Verizon's 3G standard is EV-DO (Evolution DATA ONLY). So unless the HTC uses a VoIP standard, or Verizon changed their 3G standard to EV-DV (Evolution Data & Voice), it wouldn't matter what HTC does, since it's Verizon's network that determines that capability. You guys sure there wasn't a wifi signal set up on that thing? I'm genuinely curious.
    Banned

Nope, the Thunderbolt pulls this off flawlessly.

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts

Cdma standard allows this. It must be an upgrade to the chipset for 3g on the thunderbolt. This means more phones in the future will have this capability.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i7guy View Post
    Cdma standard allows this. It must be an upgrade to the chipset for 3g on the thunderbolt. This means more phones in the future will have this capability.

I did some more reading up on it this morning and yep, it's definitely do-able. Possibly using a similar overlay as what is used for the PTT feature on some devices. Pretty cool. So, back to the OP, I would say that AT&T probably won't do much since VZW isn't actively pushing it I think, and, well, it's the only device doing it (?)...

...learn something new everyday...
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me if you want it
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    I'm having trouble with this, how HTC does it doesn't appear to be the hurdle to me...Verizon's 3G standard is EV-DO (Evolution DATA ONLY). So unless the HTC uses a VoIP standard, or Verizon changed their 3G standard to EV-DV (Evolution Data & Voice), it wouldn't matter what HTC does, since it's Verizon's network that determines that capability. You guys sure there wasn't a wifi signal set up on that thing? I'm genuinely curious.
    I can make a movie if you dont believe me

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    I did some more reading up on it this morning and yep, it's definitely do-able. Possibly using a similar overlay as what is used for the PTT feature on some devices. Pretty cool. So, back to the OP, I would say that AT&T probably won't do much since VZW isn't actively pushing it I think, and, well, it's the only device doing it (?)...

...learn something new everyday...
    It also worked on some android phones a couple buddies of mine had, not sure if they were connected to my wifi at the time or not.
    Already wanting another to add to the family
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    PIN

So, it sounds like if I asked "what new BB's may have this ability"? It would be hard to get a difinitive answer.

Thanks
    If you've gotta ask, then you're not nearly obsessed enough.