Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon is worthless

I swear they are the latest to debut any phone....

Always a day late and a dollar short. When is the farking curve coming to VZW!?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Thumbs down

yeah and why do they lock the best features of their phones
    i had verizon for a long time (long before i gave a shoot about what kinda phone i had) and their big selling point was reception in places that other carriers couldnt deliver...more and more that just isnt true
    i get perfection reception in the small coastal town im from
    i get good reception now in the mountain park where my family holds their annual camp-outs
    maybe thats just how it is here, but thats what i see
    what turned me was the $60 plan that always was billed over $80 for no apparent reason
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want to know.

Yeah, VZW is a little late to get the Curve, but think how blissfully fast the surfing will be on the gorgeous piece of BB.
    Riley2521 - aka - *Asphyxia*
    Smile like your not breaking inside...
    UB Class of 09!!
    www.twitter.com/Riley2513
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,748 Global Posts

if you think verizon is worthless then switch carriers instead of wasting breath...or finger typing...to complain about it.
    Heather

"I don't play sports. The only sport I play is shopping... sometimes I run if there's a sale." -Jessica Simpson

ask me for my tumblr...
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    STRIPES

Yeah At&t usually gets the newer phones then T-Mobile and then Verizon etc..
    but then again that's almost the same order when it comes to bad reception. While I may give a very slight nod to Verizon for coverage... eveyone else isn't that far behind. But I always tell people to try out the carrier in places they live and work that's the bottom line. Verizon also costs a lot more per month.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    4cf9c53c

Quote Originally Posted by chynnamann View Post
    Yeah At&t usually gets the newer phones then T-Mobile and then Verizon etc..
    but then again that's almost the same order when it comes to bad reception. While I may give a very slight nod to Verizon for coverage... eveyone else isn't that far behind. But I always tell people to try out the carrier in places they live and work that's the bottom line. Verizon also costs a lot more per month.

They cost more for a reason, better service, better reception. Granted att may have a bigger network, but verizon has better coverage and it's not by a small margin. I'd rather pay a little more for better quality in a carrier, than pay less for poorer quality in a carrier.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,115 Global Posts
    PIN
    Gotta ask!

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHoff View Post
    They cost more for a reason, better service, better reception. Granted att may have a bigger network, but verizon has better coverage and it's not by a small margin. I'd rather pay a little more for better quality in a carrier, than pay less for poorer quality in a carrier.
    Ditto.
    "You without a BB is like Amy Winehouse without drugs." - Thanks Jess

http://twitter.com/crashovrride
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    PIN
    306CA23F

I've had VZW since forever and wouldn't think of changing. No matter where I travel to, I always have great reception. My friends and family members that have other carriers can't say the same thing !
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,626 Global Posts

Welcome to CB.

Bienvenido a casa!
    Life is to short smile.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want to know.

I just spent 25 minutes on hold for VZW's customer service, and want to tear my hair out. But I still think they have the best service.

At least they're releasing the Curve on May 5th.
    Riley2521 - aka - *Asphyxia*
    Smile like your not breaking inside...
    UB Class of 09!!
    www.twitter.com/Riley2513
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,981 Global Posts
    PIN
    Sucka Free

Their service is amazing I had a problem one time and they took care of it right away and my reception is amazing. I even get service on the subway sometimes.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    STRIPES

Quote Originally Posted by NJTrailDog View Post
    I've had VZW since forever and wouldn't think of changing. No matter where I travel to, I always have great reception. My friends and family members that have other carriers can't say the same thing !
    Well if your friends and family don't have Verizon then you are still limited in some respect... the call is still dropped or spotty!
    Last edited by chynnamann; 04-15-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Verizon is on their way to having the best network around. Their customer service is top notch as well. I used to be with sprint and had nothing but problems. I never seemed to get issues resolved without being on the phone for an hour and a half. Those who have Sprint will see how they treat you no matter how long you have been with them. My roommate is a cop and a Sprint customer for the past 10 years. Even with his police discount that shows up on the customer service screen he still gets the shaft. He paid $249.99 for a 8130 pearl, Verizon was $99.99, no MMS availble(Sprint does not have picture messaging) His unlimited data plan is $39.99(Verizon is $29.99) No wonder Sprint lost 800,000 customers last quarter and is going to lose another 1.2 million customers next quarter. Nextel had great customer service until Sprint took them over and made them go with their customer support, they are failing as well. AT&T or Verizon is the way to go. We all will see...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

The service makes sticking with verizon worth it. Sometimes i get angry that the phone are always coming out late, but then I look at my friend with the phone, and when i am making a call and they cant because lack of service, then i realize, i can be patient...
    CrackBerry User

The only thing that bothers me about Verizon is the locking of features on their phones. But everything else is great. I can take a few features being missing if I can still make calls and check email!!! I've been with Verizon over 12 years, and I don't think I'll be changing any time soon.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

In the area I live in, Verizon has the best coverage hands down, it is very hilly here with many trees & the other carriers just don't cut it. Too many dead areas with them. The Verizon CS here is great also. It is wortjh the price.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Used to have one

Tell your room mate the cop, that if he can switch to VZW, he gets 20% off data plans and 18% off his bill. All activation fees are waived. All fireman, police and government workers get this discount. All you have to do is bring in an ID or paycheck stub.

Local gov't, here.

I asked about discount for the BB data plan and was told that no discount applies to that. I do get discount on the rest of my bill.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Verizon is smart.

Just imagine a company comes to you with a phone saying its so awesome so great and you say ok lets sellem.

Now you sell 1.5mill and they have a huge bug and they all come back and you pay to fix em.

Id rather them make sure things work and are reliable first.

However it is maddening that they lock features but I think there pay service get the job done..

I used to be mad now I understand what it takes to have the best coverage and be #1
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Verizon

I have been a Verizon customer for many years- at least 15... I never had any other carrier. I got interested in Blackberry and naturally wanted to stick with Verizon.... I asked what it would cost to add a Blackberry unlimited data plan to my current plan.. ANOTHER $44 Now I have a family plan where I, as the main phone pay $99 for 700 minutes- now add $44 for the BB and we're talking $143

T-Mobile has 1000 minutes with unlimited data for $69... that's quite a difference.. VZ has better coverage, but is it *THAT* much better??? I got a "pay as you go" phone from Tmobile to give it a try - took it everywhere I went and I found that Verizon had "more bars" but the Tmobile still; made a solid call.

The clincher was that VZ didn't carry the phone I wanted. They didn't carry the Curve with the WiFi in it, or the 8800 with the GPS built in. Why? They don't want you using FREE wifi to stretch your data plan ( if you didn't have an unlimited plan ) and they want you to subscribe to their cell based navigation service instead of using a built-in GPS.

So I'm still keeping the VZ phone (on my desk at home ) until my contract is over, but it looks like I'm switching to Tmobile.. and I will take my wife and daughter's phone over as well.

Other things that I didn't even realize.... When I got new phones with Verizon it was always an ordeal... a trip to the verizon store and hours of waiting- paying an extra $10 to have them transfer my phone book from the old to the new... Or spending time on hold with tech support as I shut off the phone and restart it... read teeny-tiny codes off to the tech on the other side of the phone and typing my phone numbers back in...... what a pain! Not to mention VZ "neutering" the phones to prevent you from installing your own ringtones or wallpapers, or music without paying Verizon for them.

T-Mobile uses a SIM card... plug it into the new phone and turn the phone on... my phone numbers are stored on the SIM card.... I couldn't believe how easy it was. My wife and I wanted to exchange phones ( and keep our same numbers ) At verizon it was several hours at the Verizon store ( take a NUMBER baby )... T-Mobile, we just exchange SIM cards.

Yes, verizon has better coverage in the "fringe areas" The Tmobile will still "roam" on any GSM network ( free roaming in my plan ) which gives it phone coverage of Tmobile plus Cingular/AT&T . I may not have Data, but I can get a call out... plus: I have Onstar in my car- THAT makes calls where no one has coverage- so I don't feel I have jeapordized the safety of myself or my family by switching carriers.

So far, the Tmobile Blackberry has been the best phone I have ever owned.. the purchasing experience has been great, and customer service has been excellent. I have a *better* phone ($50 cheaper) and 300 more minutes for $74 less a month.

Hey Verizon.... can you hear me NOW?

---

Charlie
    CrackBerry User

I switched to AT&T from VZW for lower prices and I was MISERABLE! Dropped calls just driving down the street. I will never make that mistake again.
    A real woman doesn't worry about being a dime, because real men don't carry change.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask me

Quote Originally Posted by hal737 View Post
    if you think verizon is worthless then switch carriers instead of wasting breath...or finger typing...to complain about it.
    hear hear...I agree
    CrackBerry User

I also have Onstar in my GMC vehicle and where I live, the carrier is verizon. Is it like that where you live rootux?
    A real woman doesn't worry about being a dime, because real men don't carry change.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

what finally sent me over the edge was just the crap customer service. I buy a Moto Q. It dies (inconviently in BWI on Sunday night as my flight is late leaving, just when I really needed it badly). Software glitch - known issue by VZW. They apologize on the phone, promise new unit. Refurb arrives next day. It dies a month later. Same song & dance, refurb sent, customer service rep tells me "3 strikes and we'll replace with something else". 3rd one died at the VZW store (literally was there with GF replacing her phone) and the nimrod behind the counter told me I was getting a Treo700wx - forced on me by the replacement matrix. I have just had 3 WinBlowz devices die and they tell me what I'm getting? Plus it was a family plan and my GF was the principal account holder. Which means that everytime something went wrong (see above) they had to put me on hold, try to get her on the phone, etc. Plus they cripple GPS so you have to use VZNavigator, data plans are high and they are behind on a lot of releases. ATT isn't perfect by a long shot but so far, has been a much better experience for me! And I was on VZW way back in the Bell Atlantic Mobile/NYNEX days in SC.......(uggh, that makes me old doesn't it)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dejohn360 View Post
    I also have Onstar in my GMC vehicle and where I live, the carrier is verizon. Is it like that where you live rootux?
    You can link the minutes with your Verizon plan, but the cell coverage is not just Verizon. My wife and I were in a spot that we had ZERO coverage on our verizon cell phones, I hit the onstar button and we had phone service.

According to Onstar, The primary connection with Onstar is "AMPS", the secondary is "CDMA" AMPS is AT&T Mobility, Sprint and Nextel, and Verizon is CDMA.

I only use the OnStar when I really need it- I keep about 30 "pay as you go" minutes on the system just for situations like I described above, mostly I use the bluetooth headset and my regular cell phone. ( NJ is a mandatory "hands free" calling state )