Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon upgrade policy

I just had an online chat with a VZW rep. I have two separate accounts both under MY name. I asked if I could upgrade one line and then use that phone on the other line.

The rep said that I couldnot because the accounts were separate and not a family plan.

Is this true?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Nope not at all. There is nothing that they can do about you activating any verizon capable phone to any verizon account. This is just a case of giving a rep who probably knows less than you do, too much information.

Buy the phone. Walk into a store the next day and say " i had this phone laying around and want to switch it out with the one im using"
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That is what I was thinking and hoping! Thank ya, sir!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

The rep may have been confused to what you wanted. You can not use an upgrade from a separate account for a line on another but you can upgrade a line on account one and activate it on account two.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

THanks. I would combine my two accounts but my hubby and I pay our bills separately. They are both single lines, separate accounts in my name.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

you dont even need to go to the Verzion store, you can do it at home via their website.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I assume I would then have to upgrade the one line. Wait to get the phone in the mail. Activate it. Then switch esn back.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,249 Global Posts

You would have to wait for the phone in any case as it comes "non" attached to any line. The only line specific thing would be the ETF on the line you upgraded. Other than that the phone don't care where it goes.

Global Posts
    23,370 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

I think you will have to buy and activate the phone on the line available for upgrade BUT you can then switch it over to the other line right after that. That is how i had to do it once before
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB...
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Not sure how it works for Verizon anymore, however, with Sprint, it was usually the case that they sent the phone un-activated so in order to do what you wanted, you'd just use your upgrade on account A - this would use your upgrade and extend your contract, get the phone in the mail and then just activate the phone on account B.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    I think you will have to buy and activate the phone on the line available for upgrade BUT you can then switch it over to the other line right after that. That is how i had to do it once before
    This is how I had to do it as well. When I received the phone I just called Verizon and let them activate it. That is the only time I had to do it that way. I have had several phones that I "rotate" so I don't get bored, so I usually do this stuff on their website. It was easier to let them do the upgrade this time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

You don't actually have to activate on line A, any longer. You do, however, need to go online and accept the contract and input the meid# in. Then you can activate the the phone on line B
    If it is a 4G phone you will probably need to go into a store to have a new sim card installed. The 1st card will be assigned to line A's number and cannot be transfered.
    Last edited by greeneink; 05-18-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Thanks guys.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Well you can upgrade whatever line then switch #s that's what I was told by verizon rep. For shared fam plan with 1 line being able to upgrade.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

Verizon's reps are so bad it is sickening.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

2 separate accounts?? That must cost a lot of extra money...I'm thinking u should combine the lines on a share plan and make your hubby pay the same while you take the savings! ;-)
    CrackBerry Newbie

When I did this on verizon all I had to do was accept the new service contract so it would let me activate the phone on another line.

It was a complicated process.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    PIN: 3315A0A3
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD84B0

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Because they are two different accounts yes this is exactly what you have to do.
    USE: Droid 4, RAZR, Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, BB Bold 9930, HTC Trophy, AT&T SGSII, HTC One X, Moto Atrix2, HTC Vivid **
    RETIRED: Moto Razor V3M, RazorMax, LG Voyager, enV Touch, BB 8830(Red), 8330, 8900, 9000, 9530 & 9550, 9630 & 9650, Motorola Droid 1&2 (global) & 3, Droid Incredible, LG Thrill, Samsung Fascinate, Droid Pro, Motorola Devour, LG Ally, Optimous V, iPhone 3GS.