Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    New White Q10 (First physical keyboard!)
    Beautiful White Z10, 64GB Playbook (2)
    Galaxy Note II
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts

The bigger theme there is how AT&T and Verizon (mainly Verizon following AT&T's lead) are basically molding the market. Hoping that T-Mobile Merger doesn't go through!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,055 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH between your cheek and gum, gives you great tobacco flavor, without lighting up

It was not going to last forever. I only used it when I was in a pinch, and never abused it (not saying it's legal what I did, just saying I did not use it for casual surfing etc....).

Maybe once we get some 4G QNX BB's, I will dump my home internet and just pay the tether/hotspot fee and be done with it.

Only thing that P's me off, I have a $25 dead app on my 9650. Oh well....
    People say, it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean that counts....
    But you can't get to China in a canoe.
    My Smartphone saga
    Curve 8330 (Own) > Palm Pre + (POS) > Storm2 (Stolen) > Droid X (Sold) > Bold 9650 (Own) > iPhone 4 (Sold) > Bold 9930 (Traded) > iPhone 4 (Current)

VZW iPhone 4 16GB White
    iOS 5.0.1 Untethered JB
    EZ4U2NV Theme with Motion
    Mobile Nations Staff

Global Posts
    1,886 Global Posts

For those not wanting to click:

Verizon Stops Illegal Tethering, Follows AT&T
    Aug. 8 2011 - 5:17 pm

Verizon today began blocking customers from tethering their data through jailbroken apps, following in AT&T’s footsteps as the company fights to stay on top of the U.S. wireless market.

The Basking Ridge, N.J.-based carrier now requires users have a hotspot-capable data plan if they want to tether data from their smartphones to other devices. Users who try to tether through jailbreak apps like MyWi will be redirected to a Verizon webpage where they can upgrade to a capable plan for an additional $20 a month.

The carrier’s move to stop illegal data tetherers comes just days after AT&T made a similar move. AT&T now automatically puts jailbroken tetherers onto its cheapest data tethering plan at $45 a month.

For consumers, Verizon’s move shows carriers are taking their new data plans seriously. With carriers throttling unlimited data speeds to counter those who use too much data, and illegal tetherers now forced onto more expensive plans, wireless companies are changing the data landscape.

Verizon is still the number-one wireless carrier in the U.S., but AT&T’s pending merger with T-Mobile is threatening to change that. A successful merger would leave AT&T with an improved network and 20 million more subscribers than Verizon, its closest competitor.

In February, Verizon began carrying the iPhone, eroding AT&T’s iPhone exclusivity. In July, the carrier removed its unlimited data plan option and replaced it with more expensive tiered plans, a move AT&T made more than a year ago. Now, Verizon has once again followed AT&T with its decision to crackdown on jailbroken tetherers.

By following AT&T’s footsteps, Verizon may now be expressing a new more conservative mindset, as it mimics AT&T’s moves rather than setting the tone.
    Twitter @_Miche11e_ .::. BBM Channel C0001B3B5

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your effing smartphone.
    "Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence." - Pythagoras
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

Sprint made it clear to me at the getgo that tethering was not allowed on my Simply Everything plan. I always respected that (translation: never had the ba**s to do it anyway), besides I had an EVDO usb modem. As for Verizon/Verizon Wireless, I never did like its TOS restrictions (re EVDO usb modem, back in the golden era) and its nickel & diming, but I do love the home FiOS service. Can't beat the performance or the cost and no restrictions that I'm aware of.

Global Posts
    32,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I believe Tether still works.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Hope so. I have Tether for those few times I find myself away from wifi which may be every couple of months.
    New White Q10 (First physical keyboard!)
    Beautiful White Z10, 64GB Playbook (2)
    Galaxy Note II
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    lssanjose@gmail.com (Google Talk)

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Same here

Sent from my Incredible
    I will never understand these "help me to decide" threads. Grow a pair, or put on your big girl panties (whichever applies), and make the decision that works best for you. - AmazinglyGraceless.

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Re: AT&T -- does this mean that if I now try and use the DUN modem I have set up for my BB, I'm going to automatically be socked with a $45 charge? I'm afraid to try it and find out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,019 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Have you tried it? I think it's only a matter of time...
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok, I feel like if vzw would make the plan unlimited, I wouldn't have a problem paying for
    The $20 tethering plan on top of the $29.99 data plan I am paying for... But it's not and when I had the tethering plan I was always worried about going over the 2mb... Cause they charge u an additional $20 per mb overage !!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,944 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mscny09 View Post
    Ok, I feel like if vzw would make the plan unlimited, I wouldn't have a problem paying for
    The $20 tethering plan on top of the $29.99 data plan I am paying for... But it's not and when I had the tethering plan I was always worried about going over the 2mb... Cause they charge u an additional $20 per mb overage !!!!!
    Was it really $20/mb overage?
    I think overage charges are the same for hot spot as tethering and thats $20/gb not $20/mb. At least now anyway. I have the hot spot plan and use it as well as the free tethering so I'm wondering if that would drop me off the illegal tethering check radar, especially since I only use tethering lightly. Or maybe they'll just add it to my hotspot plan. I dunno. I'd be interested to hear from anybody affected by this yet.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Wait...so I'm paying for an "unlimited" data package...but we all know it's not truly unlimited. I think it's a 5gb soft cap. I don't tether, but if I did, as long as I'm under that 5gb I'm thinking you need to leave me alone, it's data I paid for, why can't I use it how I see fit?
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,707 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    It was not going to last forever. I only used it when I was in a pinch, and never abused it (not saying it's legal what I did, just saying I did not use it for casual surfing etc....).

Maybe once we get some 4G QNX BB's, I will dump my home internet and just pay the tether/hotspot fee and be done with it.

Only thing that P's me off, I have a $25 dead app on my 9650. Oh well....
    Mobile broadband is $80/month for 10 GB. Plans - Verizon Wireless

You would really blow through that quickly if you try to use it as a replacement for your broadband Internet service.

Quote Originally Posted by Erievon View Post
    Wait...so I'm paying for an "unlimited" data package...but we all know it's not truly unlimited. I think it's a 5gb soft cap. I don't tether, but if I did, as long as I'm under that 5gb I'm thinking you need to leave me alone, it's data I paid for, why can't I use it how I see fit?
    It's intended for the device only. Not designed to fill ALL of your data needs.
    It's like going to the All-You-Can-Eat buffet. It 's all YOU can eat, you can't share with friends...
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...