Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry Verizon is screwing EVERYONE over!

This is a little long, but it's worth the read.

I had a problem with my BlackBerry, so I went in to my local Verizon Wireless store. I live right next to the Verizon Wireless headquarters, and I'm surprised that my closest store is in a shopping mall (not a strip mall) about 15 minutes away.There are little Verizon booths in stores and electronics stores, but they are never any help as they are limited on what they can do. Now, the mall isn't a super crowded one, and it's about normal size. But when you go to the Verizon store, it looks like Times Square on New Years. There a usually lines out the door, and they are extremely slow. When you get in the store, they insist you use the "Self-Serve" option. It's basically a few touch screen computers on the wall, with the Verizon help site on them. They are no more help than just googling a problem at home.

Then, a person in the front has an iPad, and she asks for your number, and a general description of your issue. She types in your number, presses enter, and your name appears on a long list of people on a giant TV in the store. It's frustrating seeing that you are number 24, in order of people being helped next. I finally got my turn at customer service, which is a large granite counter top area with a few Verizon reps behind it with computers. Once again, they are about as helpful as a simple google search. Unless you plan on adding a new line, changing your plan, or getting a new phone, they are worthless. After a brief explanation of my issue, I was sent to the back, in which I had to wait in line again.

Now, in the back, there are two counters. One to deal with billing, and one to deal with Tech Support. The billing counter has an ATM like machine that they insist you use for paying bills. And when you have a billing issue, the people never help. They always tell you it's out of their hands and you need to call up customer support. In this case though, I had to go to the tech counter. Only 2 technicians were there. I explained my issue, and was assuming that I would get a hard time like usual, and have to really fight to get a replacement phone. But instead, the man took a quick look at my defective phone, and told me he would send me a replacement, and give me free overnight shipping so I wouldn't have to wait 5 business days.

I was very happy, and as he was doing the computer stuff, we had a conversation. I was explaining to him, that Verizon makes things so difficult to take care of, and a process that should take no more than 30 minutes, ends up taking 5 hours if your lucky, and weeks if you're one of the unlucky ones. He told me that he totally agrees, and that the entire system is flawed. I asked him why he couldn't simply replace my phone at the store, and he said that Verizon made a change, so that all phones are now kept at regional warehouses, and are only shipped to the store when they are ordered by a customer. I told him that was ridiculous, and he told me the only phones he has there are on display. After a little more small talk, he explained to me that Verizon is giving a lot of issues to employees.

We talked about the Verizon strikes that just ended a couple days ago, where employees that worked with Landlines, TV, and internet fought for better treatment. As a unionized worker myself, who has often had to fight my company for better benefits, I knew where he was coming from. Then he explained to me how EVERY Verizon Technical Support rep is going to be laid off within the next couple of weeks. He seems very calm about it, and I asked him why it didn't bother him. He told me he was glad to leave a company that didn't treat him right, and that it's impossible to fight for your job against a corporation as big as Verizon. They had already cut his cell phone plan, and he just got a new phone on Boost Mobile. I was completely outraged, and couldn't believe that Verizon could to that to about 800 employees. They don't get to keep any benefits, and are basically dropped out on the street to look for new jobs.

I was pissed off because it's hard enough to get a solution to your phone problem with Verizon. But now we can't even go to trained technicians to get help. We have to rely with clueless customer service reps with barely any training. Not only is this going to make things harder, it's going to make the whole process longer. Now, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that Verizon has horrible customer service. When I try to call up their help number, I have to navigate through the most pointless menus ever (where I constantly press 0 to get a real person), spend an average of 30-45 minutes on hold trying to get a rep, and most of them are clueless and rude. Now, I've had a lot of friendly and helpful reps too, but MOST are frustrating, time consuming, and they don't help, and have you running in circles most of the time.

I've had a lot of situations where I call in with an issue, they put me on hold to "check" for something, then they redirect me to another person, who redirects me to another person, which tells me to get help at a store, And when I get to the store, they tell me that they can't help me, and I need to call customer service. WHAT THE ****?!?! I'm sick and tired of being mistreated as a customer. But it's hard to be a happy customer, when every other company is the same exact way, if not worse. And now the only people with any sort of training are being laid off. This entire customer service system is completely corrupt. And you can't do anything about it, because you are buried in contracts, fees, commitments, and bills.

I feel like there is absolutely no way out. And now, I was just recently informed about a few upcoming changes. The primary owner of an account will no longer have upgrades every year with a $50 discount. They are going to have to wait 20 months like everyone else. And now you can't even get an unlimited data plan, and the cheapest one is 2GB for $30 a month. Thank god I had the unlimited plan before so I was grandfathered in. And why can't you get unlimited texting? With the "unlimited" plan, you only get 500 texts to non-verizon customers. Verizon and AT&T now has a monopoly on the wireless business. Verizon has over 108 million customers that are stuck in contracts, and AT&T have even more. And since they are in a situation like this, they can do whatever they want. They are starting to raise prices on phones and features.

They are making everything frustrating for the customers. I remember a time where business places and stores were interested in pleasing the customer. But now I feel like all they are interested in is making money. But it doesn't stop there. Every product we buy is usually made buy only a few major companies with a monopoly on the industry. They have complete control of everything. Now, I'm not gonna go into politics and economics, cause I could write a book on my opinions of that. But I think it's about time we do something as Verizon customers AND employees. We can't let them get away with what they do to us.

We need to take a stand, and start a movement, where we won't let them step all over us, and we won't let them take advantage of us. I know Verizon has the best coverage in the country (or at least for me personally). But their customer service needs to be fixed. I don't know how we are going to fix this whole problem, but it needs to be done ASAP. I know I'm not gonna put up with all this crap, and you shouldn't either. Thanks for reading this, and I hope I provided you some some inspiration or insight.
    Last edited by colbyo; 08-21-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Paragraphs + Easier to read
    Thanked by:
    srully80 (08-23-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not anymore

Wow...hit the enter key...paragraphs...
    Thanked by:
    BravoZuluDelta (08-21-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

ummm....cliff?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

I skimmed thru the ending...sounds like maybe you should sign up with Tmobo and get the unlimited plan, and when they officially merge with AT&T, you'll be grandfathered in with AT&T...or sign up with Sprint and get unlimited and sit and pray that VZW will buy them out so you can get grandfathered in too...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I'm fairly new to the forums. I'll make it easier to read now. And I already have unlimited, that's not the issue.
    Thanked by:
    LSglock89 (08-21-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

So, your point is that we should start a "movement" for better customer service?
    & Yes, I actually read the your whole post.
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by californiablackberry View Post
    So, your point is that we should start a "movement" for better customer service?
    & Yes, I actually read the your whole post.
    Yes, Sort of. What I want is change for the better. I want customers and employees to have better treatment than what they have now. I want to be able to walk into a Verizon store with a phone problem, and have it explained to me and fixed by someone who is actually knowledgeable about the issue. I want to be able to call up customer service with a billing question, and be able to get a quick prompt answer without the bull $hit. I want the benefits and rewards that I took as granted about two years ago. I think it's ridiculous for them to get rid of their unlimited data plan. I think it's horrible that they are firing all of the Store Technicians. And I want my upgrades with the rewards without waiting 20 months.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

I may need Google Translate because all I read was "waaa waaa waaaaa".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

I'm in Houston, TX...there's a VZW store within a 5-mile radius of wherever I'm at so I guess I don't see in-store customer service as a problem...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    I may need Google Translate because all I read was "waaa waaa waaaaa".

You know what I find funny about this? You're a Verizon Rep. So out of everyone here, you should be the most educated on how bad of a customer service system Verizon has. Also, I can tell that you're one of those reps that makes every customers day miserable. Oh, and I can't wait until I see you posing "waaa waaa waaaaa" when Verizon thinks you're not important and lays you off.
    Thanked by:
    ryoujyoku (08-23-2011) 
    otacon#AC and kbz1960 like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian View Post
    I'm in Houston, TX...there's a VZW store within a 5-mile radius of wherever I'm at so I guess I don't see in-store customer service as a problem...
    I really don't think distance and location is an issue. I think the customer service system and process is the main problem. When you go to a store in Houston, are your issues corrected efficiently? Cause I know in my area, the stores around here don't do their job. And I'm sure you agree that the customer service phone number is a pain in the @$$.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

Quote Originally Posted by colbyo View Post
    You know what I find funny about this? You're a Verizon Rep. So out of everyone here, you should be the most educated on how bad of a customer service system Verizon has. Also, I can tell that you're one of those reps that makes every customers day miserable. Oh, and I can't wait until I see you posing "waaa waaa waaaaa" when Verizon thinks you're not important and lays you off.
    You know what I find funny? Is that you come here pretending to give a **** about the employees, when in all actuality, you only care about yourself. Much like Verizon. All you did was complain about waiting at the store, not having people help you or not being knowledgeable, not having Unlimited, not getting discounts and being frustrated about calling in. Which was why I said all you did was cry and whine...because you did. You don't give a **** about anyone but yourself. And if you want to assume what kind of rep I am, I'll let you, because your opinion means as much to me as a fly on ****. But if I treated customers the way they treated me, you bet they would be miserable. Because you know how many people like you call in and whine and ***** like this. The people with real issues and frustrations never have nothing to worry about from me because I will bend over backwards to fix the issue or help them.

Also, because I am sick of hearing this already, yes Verizon is in it for the money. They're a ******* business! Does it mean I like or agree with some of the changes, no. But you walked into this business interaction knowing that they wanted your money. Stop fooling yourself.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
    Nikeem24 and pyrus like this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

tl;dr
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts

OP

Remember that VZW is a business. They're in it to get your money. Period. You complain about losing your discount. About not getting a subsidized handset every year. About not having an expert standing by to help YOU the moment you walk into the store. They don't have to give you a better price than the next customer. They'll set their service prices and then adjust them to find the sweet spot and stay there. They charge what they do because they can. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to stay with Verizon. By all means, shop around and find the best value for you. You're going to find that most of these businesses are similarly run.

I think what's been lost here is that Verizon Wireless is a telephone service provider, just like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. They put phones in our hands so that we can buy their service. I've read that the telephone service providers don't make much (if anything) on the handsets, often heavily subsidizing the phones with the intent to get it back by selling us access to data. Most of the new phones supplied by VZW have a one-year warranty. Within that year (or longer if you pay for extended warranty), if there is a defect with your phone they'll often toss it into a box and hand you another if the staff is not familiar with your issue and can quickly fix it. For the stores in my area, that fix usually means flashing the device or tweaking a menu setting and handing it back. If that does not work, then they replace the device. They might have 60 different devices on display, and their customers likely walk through the door with any of several hundred devices. How can the store be expected to have staff trained to fix each and every one? If VZW doesn't substantially make anything on the phones, and the in-store techs don't do much in the way of real repairs, then why should you expect them to train and pay folks to sit in the stores and wait for you to come in with a phone problem?

Having said that, I call the advanced tech support folks directly if I have a tech issue. When I know the hardware is FUBAR, there's always a replacement phone in processing for two-day delivery before I end the call. BTW, I get excellent service when I call VZW. If I have a billing problem, a question about my plan, or a tech issue, my concern is handled professionally the first time, every time. Do I sometimes get transferred once or twice? Yes, but I'd rather be forwarded to someone that can help me than be shovel-fed BS by the person who answered my call.

As to your observation that the service in the store is less than satisfactory, it must be a "hit or miss" proposition. I live with ten miles of six company stores and I have never had a truly poor experience at any of them. Are they sometimes slow? Yes. I find that if I read the signs when I walk in, things go pretty well. I enter the store, and I tell the greeter just what I need. I don't typically wait long. Remember that it's a STORE. They sell stuff. The trick is to know what to expect the store to be able to provide and don't expect them to stray far from their area of expertise -- selling you a service plan and the equipment to use it.
    Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10 and Q10, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro
    kashabrown likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Underway99 View Post
    They might have 60 different devices on display, and their customers likely walk through the door with any of several hundred devices. How can the store be expected to have staff trained to fix each and every one? If VZW doesn't substantially make anything on the phones, and the in-store techs don't do much in the way of real repairs, then why should you expect them to train and pay folks to sit in the stores and wait for you to come in with a phone problem?

Having said that, I call the advanced tech support folks directly if I have a tech issue. When I know the hardware is FUBAR, there's always a replacement phone in processing for two-day delivery before I end the call. BTW, I get excellent service when I call VZW. If I have a billing problem, a question about my plan, or a tech issue, my concern is handled professionally the first time, every time. Do I sometimes get transferred once or twice? Yes, but I'd rather be forwarded to someone that can help me than be shovel-fed BS by the person who answered my call.

As to your observation that the service in the store is less than satisfactory, it must be a "hit or miss" proposition. I live with ten miles of six company stores and I have never had a truly poor experience at any of them. Are they sometimes slow? Yes. I find that if I read the signs when I walk in, things go pretty well. I enter the store, and I tell the greeter just what I need. I don't typically wait long. Remember that it's a STORE. They sell stuff. The trick is to know what to expect the store to be able to provide and don't expect them to stray far from their area of expertise -- selling you a service plan and the equipment to use it.
    Knowing what to take a device in for not only saves one time in going to a store but cuts down the number of visits period. I'll take mine in when I can't get something to work, which is rare; mostly I take a device in for network issses - it's easier to troubleshoot a device when a rep can hold it and see what it's doing instead of playing 20 questions on a phone call. Anything else, I'll call; and if a call goes over 15 minutes it's from shooting the breeze while having a question answered or problem solved. Not once has VZW failed to fix anything I needed help with.

I look at it this way: whomever I'm talking to might be having a crappy day. I could be the first pleasant person they talk to all day, nevermind my frustrations - I'm calling, therefore they know I'm frustrated. If I wind up putting said rep in a good mood, maybe, just maybe they'll return the favor.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    You know what I find funny? Is that you come here pretending to give a **** about the employees, when in all actuality, you only care about yourself. Much like Verizon. All you did was complain about waiting at the store, not having people help you or not being knowledgeable, not having Unlimited, not getting discounts and being frustrated about calling in. Which was why I said all you did was cry and whine...because you did. You don't give a **** about anyone but yourself. And if you want to assume what kind of rep I am, I'll let you, because your opinion means as much to me as a fly on ****. But if I treated customers the way they treated me, you bet they would be miserable. Because you know how many people like you call in and whine and ***** like this. The people with real issues and frustrations never have nothing to worry about from me because I will bend over backwards to fix the issue or help them.

Also, because I am sick of hearing this already, yes Verizon is in it for the money. They're a ******* business! Does it mean I like or agree with some of the changes, no. But you walked into this business interaction knowing that they wanted your money. Stop fooling yourself.
    How could you be so ignorant? I care about the employees just as much as I care about myself. Why don't you look at my post and read it again. I feel bad for anyone who gets laid off at their job, and has to struggle to meet ends meet. But guess what, some people deserve to be laid off, and some don't. For the amount of money that I'm paying to Verizon, I expect top quality service. If I can't walk in a store and have my issues corrected without Bull $hit, and 5 hours of waiting time, then what the **** am I paying for? Every time I have an issue with Verizon, it IS usually corrected. But it could be corrected more efficiently and with less hassle. And now it's going to be 3 times as hard to get help in a store because the only people who know anything about the phones wont be there. And I'll have to talk to a rep at the front desk, who probably just does a couple searches on the Verizon website to troubleshoot an issue.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

This is a little long, but it's worth the read.
    Too long, not worth it
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

OP

Remember that VZW is a business. They're in it to get your money. Period. You complain about losing your discount. About not getting a subsidized handset every year. About not having an expert standing by to help YOU the moment you walk into the store. They don't have to give you a better price than the next customer. They'll set their service prices and then adjust them to find the sweet spot and stay there. They charge what they do because they can. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to stay with Verizon. By all means, shop around and find the best value for you. You're going to find that most of these businesses are similarly run.

I think what's been lost here is that Verizon Wireless is a telephone service provider, just like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. They put phones in our hands so that we can buy their service. I've read that the telephone service providers don't make much (if anything) on the handsets, often heavily subsidizing the phones with the intent to get it back by selling us access to data. Most of the new phones supplied by VZW have a one-year warranty. Within that year (or longer if you pay for extended warranty), if there is a defect with your phone they'll often toss it into a box and hand you another if the staff is not familiar with your issue and can quickly fix it. For the stores in my area, that fix usually means flashing the device or tweaking a menu setting and handing it back. If that does not work, then they replace the device. They might have 60 different devices on display, and their customers likely walk through the door with any of several hundred devices. How can the store be expected to have staff trained to fix each and every one? If VZW doesn't substantially make anything on the phones, and the in-store techs don't do much in the way of real repairs, then why should you expect them to train and pay folks to sit in the stores and wait for you to come in with a phone problem?

I don't know what kind of la la land you live in, but I can never call in for support, or go to a store with a problem, without a crap load of BS being thrown at me. Problems that should be fixed in 10 minutes, take hours. And it's not always the Reps fault, it's the system. Half the problems that I have could be fixed if a Rep or a Tech at a store were able to have more options. But they are tied down by a set of BS rules, so they can never help directly. I know every single business is in it for the money, and I completely understand that. But just because you have a monopoly on a product, doesn't mean you can start treating customers with no respect, and not help them when they have issues, and take every single thing away from them. I remember a time when making the Customer happy was the most important part of a business. But now I feel like since they already have you hooked, they can do whatever they want. And no, they aren't holding a "gun" to my head. But yeahh, they are holding me to their service. I have a family plan where I'm the primary line. And if I wanted to cancel my service and switch, it would cost me about $350 for each one of my 4 lines. Not everyone can afford that. I can't believe you guys are sitting here, and defending a companies right to treat customers like $hit.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by pcgizmo View Post
    Too long, not worth it
    I understand. A lot of people have trouble reading.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

I understand. A lot of people have trouble reading.
    I didn't say I couldn't read it. I said your rant is not worth reading. If anyone has trouble reading, it's obviously you.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

I didn't say I couldn't read it. I said your rant is not worth reading. If anyone has trouble reading, it's obviously you.
    How would you know if it was a rant if you didn't read it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    PIN
    ASK

OP

Well said.

I have had a very similar experience with Big Red and I would never change carriers. I pay for a four line family plan - all four lines have data which should tell you how much I am paying - I know they are making good money on me, but when I call them with an issue, it ALWAYS get's solved before I get off the phone. I don't mind paying for something as long as I get decent service.

Verizon has a "system". If you have any intelligence whatsoever, you will "play" the system to your advantage. I have NEVER paid full price for a new handset and usually get a new one from them every six months or less!! You just have to play their system. As far as tech support, I couldn't agree more - usually they don't even want to bother and you end up with a new phone.

Underway99 - I appreciate your post - I could not have said it any better myself.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by colbyo
    I think it's ridiculous for them to get rid of their unlimited data plan. I think it's horrible that they are firing all of the Store Technicians. And I want my upgrades with the rewards without waiting 20 months.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Too long, not worth it
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Quote Originally Posted by kashabrown View Post
    Well said.

I have had a very similar experience with Big Red and I would never change carriers. I pay for a four line family plan - all four lines have data which should tell you how much I am paying - I know they are making good money on me, but when I call them with an issue, it ALWAYS get's solved before I get off the phone. I don't mind paying for something as long as I get decent service.

Verizon has a "system". If you have any intelligence whatsoever, you will "play" the system to your advantage. I have NEVER paid full price for a new handset and usually get a new one from them every six months or less!! You just have to play their system. As far as tech support, I couldn't agree more - usually they don't even want to bother and you end up with a new phone.

Underway99 - I appreciate your post - I could not have said it any better myself.
    I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, Verizon doesn't help with $hit. And it's not just me, it's everyone around here. I'd love to know where you live cause that sounds just dandy.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast