Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is the Verizon plan change forcing your hand?

I have a Blackberry 9650 on Verizon and my 2 year contract expired a while ago. I also have unlimited data. I have been going along on a month to month basis with my 9650 and haven't thought about a new phone. However, after June 28th if I want to upgrade I will lose my unlimited data. So, I am now considering getting a new phone right now that will hopefully last me for a while so I can keep unlimited data as long as I can. Unfortunately, I dont want to have the current line up of Blackberrys for another 2+ years and the BB10 is a ways off. So, as I see it I'm sort of being forced to an Iphone or RazrMaxx if I want to keep unlimited data. I'd probably lean toward the Iphone. Is anyone else viewing this another way?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    I've got a lanyard of them for trading.

I think this can also affect adding mobile hotspot/tethering to your plan as well. While you could still get it grandfathered until then (if you still have unlimited data already), trying to add it could force you to the shared plan.

I could be wrong.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,010 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

Dont forget....when you say upgrade, you should say buying a new phone from VZW at subsidized prices. You can pay full price or buy aftermarket and you would not have to change your plan.

The killer question for me.....if I were to get a new "dumb" phone for my wife after 6/28 would that force us to change our plan? If so, we would pay way more:

I will NOT be upgraded my family! Here's my breakdown.

Please note that we are on a 550 minute plan they no longer offer. And we don't even scratch the surface of those minutes:

$50 My line base price
    $10 wife's line
    $10 daughter's line
    $10 daughter's TXT plan (500 anyone unlimited VZW)
    $30 my data (unlimited)
    -----
    $110

Base costs if my wife and daughter stay with their current dumb phones:

$40 my phone
    $30 wife's phone
    $30 daughter's phone
    $70 4gb data (I am usually at or under 2 so bumping to 4)
    -----
    $170

That's nuts. totally. If my wife wanted an iphone, assuming my daughter sticks with her new (this weekend) basic phone, we'd be better off just getting a tier data for my wife:

$50 My line base price
    $10 wife's line
    $10 daughter's line
    $30 my data (unlimited)
    $30 wife's data (2gb)
    -----
    $140

Thanked by:
    dfb8085 (06-13-2012) 
    dfb8085 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,010 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

here's the confusing part.....If what i read is correct.....I could still choose to put my wife on a tiered individual data plan of $30 for 2gb. Then we're at the $140. That's not as bad as being forced to put all 3 phones on it....It's just not clear anywhere that this is really the case....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

$90 for the 1GB of data plan, doesn't bode well for data efficient blackberries, those guys are getting screwed.

Verizon are crooks anyway, I have never and would never consider them as a carrier.
    Twitter: xandermac

You do not understand. Verizon is offering choice. The choice of less for more.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    You do not understand. Verizon is offering choice. The choice of less for more.
    LOL. Numerous likes.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,010 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

What is still confusing is, the way i read another part, even if I stay with my one smartphone and 2 dumb phones, even if it's the dumbphone needing "replacement", that could push us onto the new plan...??? Is this right?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Quote Originally Posted by jlb21 View Post
    here's the confusing part.....If what i read is correct.....I could still choose to put my wife on a tiered individual data plan of $30 for 2gb. Then we're at the $140. That's not as bad as being forced to put all 3 phones on it....It's just not clear anywhere that this is really the case....
    If you act before June 28th. After that you'll be limited to the new plans.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,143 Global Posts

Act now or be screwed later.....
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Act now or be screwed later.....
    Act now or be screwed MORE later.....
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

No biggie for me. As I read it one can keep unlimited data indefinitely so long as one either:

a) supplies their own phone
    b) pays full retail for a new one to VZW.

It's only those that get the subsidy pricing that it affects. I do not ever plan to sign another contract.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts

Makes me wonder why I been with Sprint for nearly 16 years which there was no Verizon back then. Oh well.
    Just a trucker delivering the goods in which sometimes they are cell phones.
    7cf26b0d
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bell25252003 View Post
    I have a Blackberry 9650 on Verizon and my 2 year contract expired a while ago. I also have unlimited data. I have been going along on a month to month basis with my 9650 and haven't thought about a new phone. However, after June 28th if I want to upgrade I will lose my unlimited data. So, I am now considering getting a new phone right now that will hopefully last me for a while so I can keep unlimited data as long as I can. Unfortunately, I dont want to have the current line up of Blackberrys for another 2+ years and the BB10 is a ways off. So, as I see it I'm sort of being forced to an Iphone or RazrMaxx if I want to keep unlimited data. I'd probably lean toward the Iphone. Is anyone else viewing this another way?
    If I were you I'd get the Maxx, at least it has 4G capability if your in a coverage area and if not it will be coming. I plugged in my info in their shared data calculator and found I'd be having to pay $110 a month for a capped 4GB plan which is $30 more than I pay now on my unlimited. Doing that math it would come to $720 more spent over a two year contract and providing I don't incur any overages. Thats more than the price of a phone bought off contract. You could pick up a Maxx to hold you over till the BB10 comes out. Who knows you may like it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jlb21 View Post
    Dont forget....when you say upgrade, you should say buying a new phone from VZW at subsidized prices. You can pay full price or buy aftermarket and you would not have to change your plan.

The killer question for me.....if I were to get a new "dumb" phone for my wife after 6/28 would that force us to change our plan? If so, we would pay way more:

I will NOT be upgraded my family! Here's my breakdown.

Please note that we are on a 550 minute plan they no longer offer. And we don't even scratch the surface of those minutes:

$50 My line base price
    $10 wife's line
    $10 daughter's line
    $30 my data (unlimited)
    -----
    $110

Base costs if my wife and daughter stay with their current dumb phones:

$40 my phone
    $30 wife's phone
    $30 daughter's phone
    $70 4gb data (I am usually at or under 2 so bumping to 4)
    -----
    $170

That's nuts. totally. If my wife wanted an iphone, assuming my daughter sticks with her new (this weekend) basic phone, we'd be better off just getting a tier data for my wife:

$50 My line base price
    $10 wife's line
    $10 daughter's line
    $30 my data (unlimited)
    $30 wife's data (2gb)
    -----
    $140

My situation is the same. you are right on. sucks big time. isay screw verizon and att and completely get out of the smartphone market and go back to a dumb phone. this whole thing has gotten completely out of hand. I'm so tired of being screwed by these carriers
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    PIN
    not necessary

I have a relative who went with the razr maxx and regrets it now. Main thing was battery life isnt as good as initially advertised. I just switched to the apple side and am loving it. No love lost with RIM, but i was ready to try something new. As far as the new plans go i will actually save money. My second line can now upgrade to a smartphone and with the discount on the data plan price we dont mind getting on the higher tiered data plan. There is no way i would ever go back to sprint after twelve plus yrs of their crap. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Will this be the cause for a new market where RIM, HTC, Samsung, etc sell equipment directly to consumers?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts

So if you're an individual and want an iPad, you could opt for a wifi-only iPad, pay $40 a month just to have the device on it, and use your hotspot on ur 9930 for your iPad?

Or am I just dreaming and you really have to buy a 4g iPad because if you do not, you technically only have 1 device....?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Why would you pay to add a wifi iPad? Their $50 1gb plan includes the use of wifi hotspot for wifi devices. The $10 addon is to use a 3G tablet on the plan. You don't pay the $10 for a wifi only device because you merely tether it.

You would pay $40 device access for the blackberry. $50 for 1 gb of data (including hotspot) = $90. You can use that 1gb however you choose, including tethering.

People with a 3G tablet could pay $10 additional to share that 1gb bringing the cost to $100 ($60 for 1gb of data!).
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-17-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ☠✯❀♥☠✯❀♥

Quote Originally Posted by bell25252003 View Post
    I am right there with ya on this. My contract is up, but I haven't been able to decide which phone I want to upgrade to, so I've just been going on a month-to-month basic til I can figure out what phone I want. Now I'm being rushed to decide on a phone before June 28th...and I do not like being rushed. But the alternative is that tiered data crap, which won't save me a thing. I'm on an individual plan, so basically I'd be paying the same amount each month but getting less...unltd data for $30 now, or 2GB data for $30 after June 28th. Ugh, I hate this. I have no idea what kind of phone to get, and I was really hoping I could wait it out til iPhone5 comes out (though I'm not even sure I want one of those). But there's no waiting it out now. For me, it's now or never if I want to keep my unltd data for another 2 years. I've got to move quick on this, and it's stressing me out. I really like being able to take my time and research each phone I'm interested in extensively, and take my time making my choice. I know very, very little about Android phones but I'm still considering switching to one, as I just feel like RIM is not keeping up with the times right now. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by stang.girl; 06-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Quote Originally Posted by stang.girl View Post
    or 2GB data for $30 after June 28th.
    $60 for 2gb of data after june 28th + $40 device access fee = $100 PM

Where did you see it would only be $30?

You should lock in now or switch carriers (that would be my advice), this will become the norm unless people talk with their wallet.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    No biggie for me. As I read it one can keep unlimited data indefinitely so long as one either:

a) supplies their own phone
    b) pays full retail for a new one to VZW.

It's only those that get the subsidy pricing that it affects. I do not ever plan to sign another contract.
    They get your money either way, everyone with a subsidized phone pays the same prices as you so you're effectively giving money away, roughly $20 per month (based on a smartphone retail price of $480 over 24 months assuming $0 upfront cost). Do you use enough data to cover that $480?

I agree with you though, contracts suck, t-mobile offer cheaper rate plans for BYOD.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ☠✯❀♥☠✯❀♥

Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    $60 for 2gb of data after june 28th + $40 device access fee = $100 PM

Where did you see it would only be $30?

You should lock in now or switch carriers (that would be my advice), this will become the norm unless people talk with their wallet.
    Some online article I read that was apparently wrong, LOL. That is definitely more than I'm paying now. I currently pay $92-93/month for talk, text, and unlimited data. I think I'll definitely be upgrading before the 28th; I just don't know what phone will work well for me since I'm pretty darn unfamiliar with anything other than BlackBerries. Trying to figure out what phone to get in such a short amount of time is stressing me out! But I know I have to if I want to at least get another two years before VZW can really screw me over. I keep hoping they'll nix this whole idea of tiered data, but they aren't showing any signs of backing off on this one, unfortunately. I have considered switching carriers, but it seems that most carriers are heading toward tiered data with the exception of a few (like Sprint), and those carriers don't work well at all in my area. VZW gives me the best coverage currently.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,686 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

Quote Originally Posted by stang.girl View Post
    Some online article I read that was apparently wrong, LOL. That is definitely more than I'm paying now. I currently pay $92-93/month for talk, text, and unlimited data. I think I'll definitely be upgrading before the 28th; I just don't know what phone will work well for me since I'm pretty darn unfamiliar with anything other than BlackBerries. Trying to figure out what phone to get in such a short amount of time is stressing me out! But I know I have to if I want to at least get another two years before VZW can really screw me over. I keep hoping they'll nix this whole idea of tiered data, but they aren't showing any signs of backing off on this one, unfortunately. I have considered switching carriers, but it seems that most carriers are heading toward tiered data with the exception of a few (like Sprint), and those carriers don't work well at all in my area. VZW gives me the best coverage currently.
    It kind of sucks because the Galaxy S3 doesn't ship until 07/10 on verizon and that's the only Android device i'd consider at the moment. Galaxy Nexus at a push. Have you tried an iPhone?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ☠✯❀♥☠✯❀♥

Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    It kind of sucks because the Galaxy S3 doesn't ship until 07/10 on verizon and that's the only Android device i'd consider at the moment. Galaxy Nexus at a push. Have you tried an iPhone?
    I agree! The Galaxy S3 is one of the main contenders for my next phone. So if I were to order that now, would I lose my tiered data since the S3 wouldn't be in use until after it shipped in July? I was wondering how that would work. If that's the case, I guess I'll have to pick another phone...gah. I've considered an iPhone, but the lack of an SD card really frustrates me for some reason. That's pretty much the only thing holding me back from an iPhone. And honestly, I don't exactly know why the lack of SD card thing bugs me so bad...probably just because I'm a creature of habit that's used to having one! I guess I'm old school like that. I'm having enough trouble weaning myself off of BB and considering other brands. I know basically zilch about the Android phones and iPhones.
    Last edited by stang.girl; 06-18-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast