Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon Insurance Policy?

I've never had insurance on a phone before but after having my BB for two weeks and subsequently becoming addicted to it, I was wondering if anybody knows whether you can add insurance after you have signed your contract; is there a grace period? I'm going to go to the store of course, but if I run into a nay-sayer I want to be able to say "Well you did it for so-and-so!"
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall

You have 15 days to add the Insurance.
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I never had insurance on ANY of my phones until I got a blackberry. I always told myself, I do not break my phones. Well something told me, get insurance this is a $500 phone. I did, and after only having my blackberry for a couple months I dropped it in water and my blackberry was toast. Did the insurance claim on line at 4pm on a Thursday. By 3pm on Friday when I got home from work, DHL had dropped off my replacement phone. This was the fist time I have ever did an insurance claim on my phone, and I was 100% impressed on how fast they got my phone to me. It was sent overnight, and they did not even charge me shipping. Only out of pocket was my $50.00 deductible. In addition, Verizon offers a $4.99 a month plan that covers warranty replacement only, and a $5.99 a month plan that extends the manufacture warranty for as long as you have the phone activated on your line. I have the $5.99 plan.

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by ok4a56 View Post
    In addition, Verizon offers a $4.99 a month plan that covers warranty replacement only, and a $5.99 a month plan that extends the manufacture warranty for as long as you have the phone activated on your line. I have the $5.99 plan.
    What's the difference... in detail.

PIN
    NED To A Wall

The 4.99 will replace the phone for things other than MFG issues in the first year. i.e. Theft, loss, or physical damage. The 5.99 does this and will extend the MFG warr for the second year. This waives the $50 for a MFG Warr. Theft, loss, or physical damage will still be charged $50 through the Insurance co.

With the $5.99 plan VZW will replace the device for MFG warr issues.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    PIN
    318ddaaf

I had the insurance on my account, and the best part is it covers the account not that particular phone.

So, I switched from a Treo 650, bought an 8703e on ebay, dropped it on the cement and the insurance covered it! Even though I didnt buy it from Verizon.
    I'm completely sold on the insurance.

Granted it was a $50 deductable to get another 8703e, but it was worth it since at the time they were going for $250 on ebay.
    PG
    My Pin: 318ddaaf

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Quote Originally Posted by pgregory View Post
    I had the insurance on my account, and the best part is it covers the account not that particular phone.

So, I switched from a Treo 650, bought an 8703e on ebay, dropped it on the cement and the insurance covered it! Even though I didnt buy it from Verizon.
    I'm completely sold on the insurance.

Granted it was a $50 deductable to get another 8703e, but it was worth it since at the time they were going for $250 on ebay.
    Well I will tell you got away with one. Insurance should come off if the device was not purchased form VZW. There is no fail safe that I aware of to stop it. So enjoy the benefit. But on the other hand you pay the insurance and someone is making a buck there I am sure.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,543 Global Posts
    PIN

I was able to insure a UTstarcom xv6600 PPC for a little more than a year that I had purchased on Ebay. Although I was able to have the insurance added with no problems, I was always skeptical as to rather or not they would honor a claim should I need to make one. Luckily I never had to find out , but I always wondered........

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

PIN
    NED To A Wall

If you have the insurance on the account, they will honor it. I would think at that point if they prove that device was not purchased from the company, the insurance company will at that point remove it. But hey things get over looked all the time.

I do know that two claims within a policy period will remove the insurance, until another device is purcahsed from the company.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    PIN
    31B1AC26

I got insurance on my BB just because they can be expensive without a contract lol.. I then got insurance on the other phones (I have a family plan) just for piece of mind, which actually did pay off since my sister lost her phone and they sent me a new phone (granted the first phone they sent me had a problem were it turns itself off randomly, and they told me it was new when it came in an Asurion box, I had to call them back and they sent me a second phone which came in an LG box so far no problems.)

Overall it was pretty much hassle free, they never argued or gave me ay grief since I was a little hesitant about calling in the first replacement they sent me.
    For the first time I feel the future might hold something for me, of course I could be fooling myself but I am willing to take that chance.

PIN
    NED To A Wall

An insurance replacement phone has a 90 warr or the remaining time left on the MFG warr. which is ever greater. For the first 30 days after an Insurance replacement the insurance company is going to replace it, after that VZW will take care of it.

Again if it is mfg warr issue, not lost,stolen,or physical damage

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    PIN
    31B93F6D

Cool

just be advised that if you have two claims in a 12 month they will cancel your insurance for 1 yr after the second claim or until you buy a new phone for that number, and yes i know this to be true... it happened to me...... one phone went swimming in the toilet... the other did a belly flop of of a train moving 50mph...lol...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,593 Global Posts

I didn't get the insurance. Hope I don't regret it later.

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Get a good case for your phone.

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by lastraid View Post
    I do know that two claims within a policy period will remove the insurance, until another device is purcahsed from the company.
    Well, that's bullisht. But then again, what's different from any other insurance company out there. Oh yeah, we'll take your money and "say" you're insured, until we actually have to pay for a claim. Then we just try to not do it and then cancel your policy. I just love this country. I guess ethics and big business cannot coexist.

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
    Well, that's bullisht. But then again, what's different from any other insurance company out there. Oh yeah, we'll take your money and "say" you're insured, until we actually have to pay for a claim. Then we just try to not do it and then cancel your policy. I just love this country. I guess ethics and big business cannot coexist.
    Sorry I do not make the policy. Nor does VZW cancel the insruance, the insurance removes it. I guess they figure that over a policy term if you cannot manage the caring for the device then....

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    PIN
    31A5A3B9

It doesnt matter if you dont buy it from Verizon, as long as its an authorized reseller for Verizon, ive bought phones (before I got a berry) on ebay from authorized resellers and have had no problem insuring the phone

Also, the $5.99 plan is great, as long as theres no water damage, theyll replace it, I have to say Ive probably had 3 defective 8830s and a defective replacement insurance device, it hasnt soured me on Verizon bc they were eager to help each and every time, even swapping out the device on the spot and not asking me to wait, and hey I dont blame RIM, im just unlucky i guess, i shouldve just waited for the curve since i dont do a lot of international travel
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,543 Global Posts
    PIN

The xv6600 I purchased on Ebay was used and purchased from an individual , not a reseller. So like Raid said sometimes you slide by unnoticed.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

I have TEC. My buddy gave me his 8830 (which he just got from insurance, he switched to ATT and got an iPhone)

After one week with it and a failed 4.5 upgrade (nuked my berry and for whatever reason, couldn't unnuke) I went to the verizon store, said my berry just keeps restarting, they saw i had TEC and there was no physical damage, they gave me a new refurb for no cost.

In conclusion, I will always have TEC on my account.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    PIN
    318ddaaf

I even told them while making the claim, "are you sure i'm covered? I bought this off of Ebay" and they said yeah.

The insurance is with asurion (or whatever thier name is) what do they care what device is on there. They're getting thier $5 a month.
    PG
    My Pin: 318ddaaf

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin.py View Post
    It doesnt matter if you dont buy it from Verizon, as long as its an authorized reseller for Verizon, ive bought phones (before I got a berry) on ebay from authorized resellers and have had no problem insuring the phone

Also, the $5.99 plan is great, as long as theres no water damage, theyll replace it, I have to say Ive probably had 3 defective 8830s and a defective replacement insurance device, it hasnt soured me on Verizon bc they were eager to help each and every time, even swapping out the device on the spot and not asking me to wait, and hey I dont blame RIM, im just unlucky i guess, i shouldve just waited for the curve since i dont do a lot of international travel
    TEC as well as WPP covers water dmg.