Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,178 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon in England??

A pal is going to Mexico, has a Verizon CDMA dumbphone. He was told they'd bill him $4/mo. and about .45/min for calls (maybe more calling land lines). He assumes this will work in England too. Will it? I'm going there too, have Verizon android phones. Will mine work? I also have an old BB Curve with Tmobile that's not in service, but I could activate it. Thanks in advance.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPad2 and iMac. Former BB 8100 and 8900 owner.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

England, like the rest of the UK and Europe does not have any CDMA networks. There are some Verizon dual mode phones that will work though. The 9630 & 9650 Blackberrys and one or two Motorola Android devices. Your T-Mobile curve will work.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts

when i traveled to canada with my iphone, i just used wifi the whole time and used free text apps and the like. saved me TONS of money on the nickel and diming the companies do.
    CrackBerry User

If you have a dual or tri-band phone, with a SIM card and have been a Verizon customer for a while, if you ask nicely, they will let you unlock your phone. Then, just buy a pre-paid SIM card on Orange or one of the other networks in Europe and use your phone that way. You can also suspend service while you are gone for $10/month. That's what I did last year when I was gone for 5 months. The time gets added to your contract, but it was worth it to me.