Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon early termination fee

Okay say I have the iphone right and I'm not eligible for a upgrade yet and I'm still under contract. But I upgrade my phone to the IPhone 5 is that still early termination or is that renewing my two year contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    PIN
    a short, slender piece of wire with a point at one end

Nope ETF is only if you leave Verizon.... you would pay full retail price for the new phone if your still in contract.
    irresponsibly playful. "If you never did you should, These things are fun and fun is good !!! "
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

Or..

Terminate your contract when you are ready to go to the iPhone5. You will pay an ETF.

Walk into the store the next day and get your iPhone5 on a new contract. Only bad side is that you would get a new cell #.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
    Or..

Terminate your contract when you are ready to go to the iPhone5. You will pay an ETF.

Walk into the store the next day and get your iPhone5 on a new contract. Only bad side is that you would get a new cell #.
    With an activation fee for that new line, and some taxes, you're basically spending the same as you would then by just buying the iPhone 5 at retail. That doesn't even account for the hassle it is getting a new number.

The best thing is just adding a line to a family plan to get the phone. Then transferring the new iPhone to your existing line and putting a dumb-phone on the new line. Of course, if you're on a single line then this probably isn't the best option. Just be sure to do the math when the time comes...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,274 Global Posts
    PIN
    S & NEEDLES

Add the line and pay the 10 bucks/mth on a dummy phone just to get the upgrade/2 year pricing?? strange.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBCE4E

This is what I did. I wanted two iPhone 4s. Total cost if I paid retail $1398. I decided to add two lines (16GB and 32GB). Total out of pocket: $498. Cancellation fees: $350 x 2 = $700. Total out of pocket = $700 + $498 = $1198. I saved $200 by adding lines. A little more of a hassel, but easier on the pocket book.

Some people don't want to pay the ETF up front, so if you keep the lines over 24 months, you'll only pay $240 extra each. So if I had kept both lines, I would have paid: $240 x 2 (for paying $10 per line over 24 months) = $480 plus the price of the iPhones ($498) = $978 with a total savings of $400.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,896 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markhunsaker View Post
    This is what I did. I wanted two iPhone 4s. Total cost if I paid retail $1398. I decided to add two lines (16GB and 32GB). Total out of pocket: $498. Cancellation fees: $350 x 2 = $700. Total out of pocket = $700 + $498 = $1198. I saved $200 by adding lines. A little more of a hassel, but easier on the pocket book.

Some people don't want to pay the ETF up front, so if you keep the lines over 24 months, you'll only pay $240 extra each. So if I had kept both lines, I would have paid: $240 x 2 (for paying $10 per line over 24 months) = $480 plus the price of the iPhones ($498) = $978 with a total savings of $400.
    I added a line to get mine too. Not sure if I'm going to pay the ETF, or the $10/month yet. For now I'll just pay the $10. If I want a new phone I'm going to have to pay the ETF. I'm not paying for 2 unused lines a month.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    321D8B5A

Ok so i'm apparently having a brain cramp or something - I have 4 lines on my plan, one, my line is a blackberry with the necessary plan. If I add another line, how do i get the droid incredible? If I add another line and choose the incredible for the phone arent I going to have to pay the line cost as well as the plan for the phone? I really dont want another data package, just add the droid and somehow get onto the blackberry line. Any thoughts?
    Kevin Cracolici
    Carrier - Verizon USA (AZ)BB 8530
    321D8B5A
    Data Tech Support

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by kcracolici1 View Post
    Ok so i'm apparently having a brain cramp or something - I have 4 lines on my plan, one, my line is a blackberry with the necessary plan. If I add another line, how do i get the droid incredible? If I add another line and choose the incredible for the phone arent I going to have to pay the line cost as well as the plan for the phone? I really dont want another data package, just add the droid and somehow get onto the blackberry line. Any thoughts?
    If you want to use both your BlackBerry and Incredible at the same time then you need to have 2 data plans. If you just want to switch between using those two phones then that's all you need to do.

1. Go into Verizon store. Not needed but makes it easier because you can make them do all the work.
    2. Add a line for the Incredible
    3. Tell the rep you want it activated on your existing BlackBerry line. Of course your BlackBerry Data Plan will need to be changed to a Smartphone Data Plan, but the rep can handle this.
    4. Tell the rep to put a dummy IMEI number on the new line you just added. If you have a dumbphone in a drawer at home then bring that in to activate on the new line, nothing wrong with having an active spare phone lying around.
    5. Walk out of store happy and with a brand new phone for a great price.

This can all be done over the phone or on the internet, but going into a store puts all the work on the rep. All you need to do is wander around the store while they do their thing.

Here's another thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/adde...-phone-592945/ discussing the process a little further.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    321D8B5A

Thanks so much, I wasnt aware that they would put a dummy IMIE number on the new line. I have an old basic Verizon flip phone that i can bring in - would they still need to do the dummy IMIE or just activate the old phone on that line?
    Kevin Cracolici
    Carrier - Verizon USA (AZ)BB 8530
    321D8B5A
    Data Tech Support

PIN
    What's that?

Oh they can just activate your old phone on your new line. I don't think they would care either way.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBCE4E

Without knowing what effect this would have, my wife wanted to change the account into her name so we could get her higher employee discount with Wells Fargo (26% over my 17% for a school district). I was all for it...

It ended up changing our contract dates since our 4 lines (2 that we had added to get the iPhones were only a few weeks old) to 3/5/12 end date. Apparently when you do an AOL (assumption of liability), and your contracts are more than 12 months before they expire, they change to a 1 year contract begining the day you change over, which was 3/5/11. Our upgrade dates on the lines we use are still 5/20/12, but our contract will expire 3/5/12. Which is fine, since we didn't expect our upgrade dates to change.

But this came in handy with the two new lines we had just created. I was planning on paying the $350 per line after the first 30 days, but they told me that I could cancel both lines immediately for $175 as the computer system things the contracts are one year into the agreement. I was extremely happy with this surprise. I told them I would pay the $350 per line to cancel, but they said no, the computer says $175 per line...so I did!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kcracolici1 View Post
    Thanks so much, I wasnt aware that they would put a dummy IMIE number on the new line. I have an old basic Verizon flip phone that i can bring in - would they still need to do the dummy IMIE or just activate the old phone on that line?
    Might as well activate the old phone, since you'll pay the same charge for the extra line either way. If your daily use phone gets lost, broken, or just fails on you, then you have a spare to carry around outside or in the car while you arrange for a replacement.

We have an old trusty Motorola RAZR still activated on one line of our plan. My daughter was having so many problems with the "land line" phone and DSL at her apartment (because of the wiring in the building) that she decided to save money and aggravation by just getting rid of the service entirely. She switched her internet over to her cable TV service account, and felt she didn't really need a land line phone since she mostly used her cell phone anyway.

Made sense...but I was concerned that if her cell phone was ever lost or broken, she'd be entirely without any emergency communication. So, the old phone is her "emergency phone," which she HAS used several times... she once let her BB battery run all the way down, and we know that sometimes you have to let those bad boys charge overnight before they fully recover...left her phone in the desk drawer at work...had a phone give out and had to wait a few days for the replacement, etc.

Never hurts to have a spare...for yourself, or for another family member or friend. Lots of peace of mind for just $10/month!