Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1magine
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Verizon Dropping Support For Telenav Plus? Expired Subscription-No Renewal Option

Telenav Plus subscription on my VZW 9930 expired with no option for renewal. A search of Telenav forums brought up this info:

"The Blackberry Application World truly is the only area where customers can download and renew their subscriptions. At this time, Verizon Blackberry users cannot renew their subscription directly through Telenav. If you do not have the option to renew your subscription, there may be a possibility this option is not available anymore. We have been made aware of this issue and are still waiting on Verizon/Blackberry App World to confrim Blackberrys will not be supported anymore. "

Anyone have any additional info on this issue? I know I can use Blackberry Traffic, but really like the on screen maps.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,641 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon Dropping Support For Telenav Plus? Expired Subscription-No Renewal Option

Telenav dropped support for BB. Sucks.
  3. hcf
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon Dropping Support For Telenav Plus? Expired Subscription-No Renewal Option

I just spoke with Mark at Telenav and he said they had not dropped support for Blackberry, but rather Verizon had removed it and I needed to call them direct. Perhaps he didn't have all of the facts but that was my conversation with him 15 mins ago. Looking through VZW now to see what they say.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Any resolution of this? I called Verizon last night. They said - "We are certainly not blocking the application." My PC when not logged in can not locate the application on BB App world.

I believe Telenav went to each carrier and tried to work a deal to use their app and share revenue. Telenav now has a program called 'Telenav Navigaor' available with most carriers. Think its free on US Cellular. Verizon who has VZ Navigator, likely said, "no thank you." But with Sprint and AT&T and others carrying it, they probably pulled the app fom app world.

So its not that Verizon is blocking, its that Verizon users are the only ones without access to it. Anyway that's my working theory. Bottom line, the only thing that really always woked, and really worked well on my 9850 is now gone. If BB10 wasn't 2 months away....
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I just gave up on Telenav. Deleted it and started using BlackBerry Traffic. It was very strange not having maps with only the voice to guide me at first. Surprisingly it works very well on my 9930. I don't even miss Telenav anymore. Hopefully RIM has something in the works for those who still prefer maps on BB10.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

I have 2 threads about this issue. Check them out to read my experience.

I emailed Telenav a while back and they extended my subscription another year. http://forums.crackberry.com/general...let-me-749471/

They did recently tweet that they are no longer supporting the BlackBerry app: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...tforms-751841/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Default Verizon Dropping Support For Telenav Plus? Expired Subscription-No Renewal Option

Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    I have 2 threads about this issue. Check them out to read my experience.

I emailed Telenav a while back and they extended my subscription another year. http://forums.crackberry.com/general...let-me-749471/

They did recently tweet that they are no longer supporting the BlackBerry app: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...tforms-751841/
    Thanks for the info. I looked at your thread. I just emailed Telenav support. Just to see if I could get a similar response. I'll report back in a week with the result.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

I don't think it just verizon. I think they are no longer in BB app world. They have sold their Telenav Navigator App to most other carriers. So no need to put in app world anymore. Crazy how many people think that RIM's app is in any way comparable. Only Garmin Mobile, which dropped BB support more than a year ago, was comparable. BB Traffic is really a joke in comparison.
    Ad Lucem

shemaree09 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default Verizon Dropping Support For Telenav Plus? Expired Subscription-No Renewal Option

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    . BB Traffic is really a joke in comparison.
    To each their own. If Telenav can get me up and running again at no charge, I'll use it. If not BBT will work just as well for me.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    I don't think it just verizon. I think they are no longer in BB app world. They have sold their Telenav Navigator App to most other carriers. So no need to put in app world anymore. Crazy how many people think that RIM's app is in any way comparable. Only Garmin Mobile, which dropped BB support more than a year ago, was comparable. BB Traffic is really a joke in comparison.
    Completely agree. Yeah, BB Traffic is free but it looks archaic compared to what's available now. Would you ever buy a navigation system that looked like that given what google maps, tom tom, and garmin's look like?

Blackberry Traffic looks like a pre-2008 app. The concept is great, but Im sure RIM can do better.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Still have not heard back from telenav. The application is available - just not on app world. Problem is, if yoursubscription expired, the app alone will likely not help you. I can load and run the Telenav Navigator - but the same services as telenav GPS + is $10 a month rather than $10 a year. Not too pleased at all.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts

Just called telenav this morning. They told me the app has expired for blackberry on Verizon since July 2011. They said they are not able to reactivate any accounts. If you tell them you are on Android they might activate it and it might work?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Quote Originally Posted by pooger View Post
    Just called telenav this morning. They told me the app has expired for blackberry on Verizon since July 2011. They said they are not able to reactivate any accounts. If you tell them you are on Android they might activate it and it might work?

No. Sorry. No work around I spent 2 days trying. I loaded the Sprint version. I tied playing with the code. I gave up. Then I tried to find a decent navigation app for a verizon blackberry. I tried everyone of them in APP world they all suucckked. And some suked and were expensive to boot. I settled on VZNav. First it is 30 days free and $2 a month thereafter - and that's a great deal. Second, it integrates nicely with the BB and the contact list. 3rd its maps have some nice layers. 4th - its maps are actually complete. 5th some cities have maps you can download off line. A nice touch. and Finally w/30 days free and $2 a month thereafter it was allot cheaper than any other half-arsed solution out there. BB10 will be out and will have (so I'm told) built in navigation comparable to android in 2-3 months. So for the $6 VZNaz costs it was worth it. If you have any issues loading it on your BB let me know. I have the work around.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

No reply of any kind from Telenav to my December 7th support email query. Going to consider it a lost cause and uninstall. If VZW navivator is as cheap as a few bucks a month, I'll look into possibly using that.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts

Yeah I installed VZ nav yesterday and am using that now. I can do $24 a year for the convenience.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by pooger View Post
    Yeah I installed VZ nav yesterday and am using that now. I can do $24 a year for the convenience.
    How did you get it for $24 a year? The sign up screen on my Bold says it's $10 per month.

Edit: Nevermind. I was probably looking at old promotinal material. call to VZW CS solved it.

Last edited by CarFan; 12-14-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Here's reply from Telenav to my support email. It wound up in my junk folder that's why I didn't see it.

>>Unfortunately TeleNav no longer supports Verizon Blackberry devices. We do apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause you.

If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact TeleNav customer care at 8883536284.

Ref #442976219

Thanks,

Peter Tsan
    Customer Support Representative II | Online Community Manager | TeleNav, Inc.
    Telenav | Telenav Enterprise
    TeleNav Track 888.353.6282 | TeleNav 888.353.6284<<
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

I guess they just gave up

Fortunatley my Telenav still works for another year. Hopefully they will reconsider with BB10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,261 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    I guess they just gave up Fortunatley my Telenav still works for another year. Hopefully they will reconsider with BB10.
    Hopefully BB10 is.at.least comparable to.every Other platform and has a decent sat nav application built in.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,105 Global Posts

Yup this is just a temp solution until february

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930