Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon Blackberry usage in Mexico

Hi All:

I am going on a Carnival cruise to Mexico this fall and wondered if anyone had experience using their Verizon Blackberry while in Mexico? I know that while on the ship you can pay $2.50 a minute so I have been told to wait until I reach a port before turning on the phone. I believe roaming is around $.69 a minute but how much is data usage, text messages etc.... Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall

You can get all this great info at www.verizonwireless.com/international
    CrackBerry Newbie

Be very careful when using phone out of country if you dont have a international plan It may have changed when traveling abroad since I worked at vzw but remember Federal laws that us carriers have to abide by in charging people do not apply in mexico I recall a customer I worked with got charged $9.99 a minute while in jamaica after being told it was only $.99 by the company down their
    This may have changed since I worked there though
    CrackBerry Abuser

I know what the voice and SMW rates are while in Mexico, where Verizon does have at least some coverage, but I can't find anything on their site about Blackberry Internet costs.

I'll be in Cabo this time tomorrow where Verizon has voice and SMS, but what about BIS?? I have apps loaded on my phone that are constantly polling and of course, email push. I have control over voice and SMS use, but what about Internet via BIS, does that bypass the local MX carriers, or is it included with your BIS plan on Verizon via their Mexican roaming partners?

I was dumb enough to spend 35 minutes waiting for a CS rep who didn't even have the slightest clue whatsoever (no surprise), so here I am!

I do know that, once you've told Verizon you're going to Mexico, the rate for voice calls is either 60 or 99 cents per minute, and 25 or 50 cents per text. But INTERNET access is uncharted territory. Any help would be seriously appreciated, thanks! Timely help too, since I'm leaving tomorrow!

Kevin
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ok, here's the deal. Before I left I called 611 for BlackBerry tech support. The call went through fast and I asked him how he was doing and he said "groovy," so I knew right away I could work with the guy.

So for voice minutes, you can temporarily sign up for a pro-rated monthly fee of $3 a month, then cancel it when you get home. That drops your voice rates from $.69-$.99 to 25 cents. If you're gone for a week then cancel it, it will pretty much pay for itself on your first phone call.

SMS is absurdly expensive though, 25-50 cents each! BUT, BIS access, which includes everything Internet is billed at $.005 per kilobyte.

IOW, a typical email message costs half a cent while an SMS costs up to 50 cents, just don't download attachments or send photos from your phone. No brainer there, but I had to tell my peeps NOT to text me, use email instead. You can temporarily disable SMS while you're gone too, but I didn't because I have some business stuff going on that I need to get if it comes in that way.

The irony is that it costs more to receive an SMS than to receive or begin a 1 minute voice call, but SMS is much cheaper for any carrier to handle. Greed.

PIN to PIN (BB Messenger) is totally free.

I had good reception from the airport through San Jose Del Cabo to my hotel near Cabo San Lucas, and coverage in town, no problem.

So...that's the deal. Voice and SMS, you pay roaming rates, with absurd charges for texts.

For Internet, you pay next to nothing, unless you start moving big files around, or do a lot of web surfing. There's no EVDO here in the SJD area so don't bother, just use the hotel's service on your laptop for that, or find a connection somewhere else.

Oh, and before you leave the US you have to tell Verizon that you're going to Mexico, and do a *228 -before- you leave. Also, if you're calling the US, you have to add 011 +1 + area code + number. IOW, your outgoing call would look like 01112135551212. If you forget the extra 1 it won't go through.

Ok, enough for now, just wanted to give y'all the latest ****. It's tequila time!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Update: My 8830 simply doesn't ring from numbers placed outside of the US, but does eventually display a voicemail inidicator. Also, outgoing calls to the US often take a few times to go through, no doubt charging me for every failed attempt.

Didn't have these connection problems when I was in the Playa Del Carmen area on the Yucatan, btw, my Razr received calls normally and outgoing calls went through every time.

Which is fine, because I sure as **** ain't coming back to Cabo any time, the place a DUMP, and even though I'm staying at one of the best resorts in the area, I've been fighting a stomach virus after my first meal here!

The Mayan Riviera is much much nicer in every respect, and doesn't cost much if at all more than Cabo.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks for the info. I am going to Chihuahua and Saltio later this year, so it's all useful info to me!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by kwsmithphoto View Post
    Update: My 8830 simply doesn't ring from numbers placed outside of the US, but does eventually display a voicemail inidicator. Also, outgoing calls to the US often take a few times to go through, no doubt charging me for every failed attempt.

Didn't have these connection problems when I was in the Playa Del Carmen area on the Yucatan, btw, my Razr received calls normally and outgoing calls went through every time.

Which is fine, because I sure as **** ain't coming back to Cabo any time, the place a DUMP, and even though I'm staying at one of the best resorts in the area, I've been fighting a stomach virus after my first meal here!

The Mayan Riviera is much much nicer in every respect, and doesn't cost much if at all more than Cabo.
    Hey thanks for the info but i'm still a little confused! I'm leaving for Mexico on Friday. I'm going to Playa del Carmen (btw how was it??) I've tried to call verizon's cs and I keep getting two different answers! One told me I would not be charged to use my BB messanger and another told me I would and it counts as data so the $.005 applies. Also do you know how I can disable my emails for the week but keep my bb messagner and web working???
    I live in a world of my own, but you're welcome to visit.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Quote Originally Posted by GardenState View Post
    Hey thanks for the info but i'm still a little confused! I'm leaving for Mexico on Friday. I'm going to Playa del Carmen (btw how was it??) I've tried to call verizon's cs and I keep getting two different answers! One told me I would not be charged to use my BB messanger and another told me I would and it counts as data so the $.005 applies. Also do you know how I can disable my emails for the week but keep my bb messagner and web working???
    You can Call VZW and have them suspend your BIS account. this will shut down the email. When you arrive home, call back and have it undone
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.