Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  1. snison's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Verizon 300MB/$20 data plan

    Verizon has 300MB at $20/mo for a limited time. Saw it today.

    Obviously, I did not change my unlimited data plan for those that would question such.

  2. dictoresno's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,850 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    that sounds like a rip off to me. why would anyone choose that.
  3. snison's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I know a lot of people that use less than 300MB/mo. Last month I used 233MB on my BB... 6.7GB on my MiFi lol
  4. elvin1983's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,572 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,573 Global Posts
    PIN
    ch a loaf.
    #4  

    Default

    I don't understand why VZW does this kind of thing... AT&T offers their 2GB plan for $25, why would VZW do 300MB for $20... Ridiculous...

  5. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,236 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    that sounds like a rip off to me. why would anyone choose that.
    Quote Originally Posted by elvin1983 View Post
    I don't understand why VZW does this kind of thing... AT&T offers their 2GB plan for $25, why would VZW do 300MB for $20... Ridiculous...
    It is PURELY price point

    IF you want a device but are on a tight budget saving $5/month (60/year) could mean you get sauce on your pasta for dinner 2 nights a week.


    My Good friends, who has no cellphone, is fighting with his wife because she wants a BlackBerry or iPhone rather than her dumb phone, and he can't conceptualize why she would want to pay more than $40/month for a mobile device, he has a hard time with the $30/month she pays now.

    His Brother is heavily pushing for the iPhone, and I just am pointing out BlackBerry, and Samsung to him as alternatives for his wife, not KEEN on her having a BlackBerry due to she will add my phones to BBM and I'll get to be the "call boy" when HE is being looked for. but I digress, BlackBerry is Winning the fight because I have shown usage of approximately 2MB/day for her usage, so she is able to get a 500MB data plan from Bell, His Brother has not been able to show under 15MB/day usage on his iPhone, which is 450MB and still falls under 500MB, but that does mean cutting it close and risk overage, THE monthly cost is the BIGGEST thing for this debate at their home, IF she can keep her usage at sub 500MB and sub 250 SMS, and sub 200min data with their discounts she can pay $50/month, any variation over that increases their bill by $10-30/month,

    This $20 for 300MB opens up the smartphone world to that one more person who has a threshold. really if I was verizon I would offer a "flex rate" at $10/100MB, that would be a KILLER Curve message phone companion as many users would remain under 100MB
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    Thanked by:
    pkcable (01-25-2012) 
  6. ThePoisonDroid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    555 Posts
    Global Posts
    650 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    It is PURELY price point

    IF you want a device but are on a tight budget saving $5/month (60/year) could mean you get sauce on your pasta for dinner 2 nights a week.


    My Good friends, who has no cellphone, is fighting with his wife because she wants a BlackBerry or iPhone rather than her dumb phone, and he can't conceptualize why she would want to pay more than $40/month for a mobile device, he has a hard time with the $30/month she pays now.

    His Brother is heavily pushing for the iPhone, and I just am pointing out BlackBerry, and Samsung to him as alternatives for his wife, not KEEN on her having a BlackBerry due to she will add my phones to BBM and I'll get to be the "call boy" when HE is being looked for. but I digress, BlackBerry is Winning the fight because I have shown usage of approximately 2MB/day for her usage, so she is able to get a 500MB data plan from Bell, His Brother has not been able to show under 15MB/day usage on his iPhone, which is 450MB and still falls under 500MB, but that does mean cutting it close and risk overage, THE monthly cost is the BIGGEST thing for this debate at their home, IF she can keep her usage at sub 500MB and sub 250 SMS, and sub 200min data with their discounts she can pay $50/month, any variation over that increases their bill by $10-30/month,

    This $20 for 300MB opens up the smartphone world to that one more person who has a threshold. really if I was verizon I would offer a "flex rate" at $10/100MB, that would be a KILLER Curve message phone companion as many users would remain under 100MB

    att has 250 for $15 and 2gb for $25
    t-mo is about 250 for $10!

    Big Red is just a rip off.
  7. MrObvious's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,822 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    If they want the iPhone the best way is to flash it to a prepaid line.
  8. snison's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Straighttalk unlocked SIM works WONDERFUL for using my iPhone on AT&T. All the benefits of AT&T for $45/mo.

    I only use it to play games and used 143MB data last month.
  9. shemaree09's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    that sounds like a rip off to me. why would anyone choose that.
    not really.

    I use wifi on my phone at least 70% of the time (Work, School, and friends' houses)

    I watch Youtube videos, stream pandora, check twitter, facebook, BBM, BBM Music all the time and only used about 70mb for the month.

    Why not save a little extra money if you're not using all that data anyway?
    Last edited by shemaree09; 12-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
  10. BlackBerryMagnet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    not really.

    I use wifi on my phone at least 70% of the time (Work, School, and friends' houses)

    I watch Youtube videos, stream pandora, check twitter, facebook, BBM, BBM Music all the time and only used about 70mb for the month.

    Why not save a little extra money if you're not using all that data anyway?
    Many good points made in this thread. Even though having a plan with that small of a threshold does serve what would be an unserved customer group, as shemaree09 has pointed out rather well, I think that $20 a month for 300 MB is a bit much. Ever heard of private/generic labeling in any given store? Mostly the same product made by a well known brand name but sold in different packaging to get sales from all demographics. There are plenty of exceptions that fall into the "you get what you pay for" category.

    I'm not sure about phone data but for most of 2011, VZW's basic data plan for netbooks, tablets and cards was 2 GB of data for $20 / month. But now, at the same rate the 300 MB limit, only 1/6th of the previous limit, costs the same! That is a significant difference between the service and cost for paying the same rate. Then in late 2011 to the present, the new base rate jumped to $30 for 2 GB!

    But back to the same rate for less data trick, that's typical reverse profitizing (how about that word). Yep, decrease the product quantity or service features without increasing the price. This is easily done all the time in the food industry or any industry that can manipulate the look or container of a product. The price remains the same, but the portions, or in this case, the features get smaller. Decreasing a physical product is much easier to hide than obvious numbers though, and that's what is so obvious here. Who likes to hear about a price increase? Nobody, so they just take something away from the other side.

    Has anyone noticed any data thottling (lagging, latency) when using a really low threshold data plan? It's an electronic brake that prevents lower tier customers from getting the same results, such as speed, as the higher tiered customers get. That's usually one the downsides to the lower tiered plans.

    I was told that although "unlimited" plans don't have a defined threshold, if you start using what the carrier considers excessive bandwidth, they will throttle your account so you could possibly experience lag, latency, etc.. Additionally, if your usage is significantly affecting their network they can also just shut down your account. Make no mistake, the carrier will come out on top no matter what.
    It's not just good, it's BlackBerry good!
  11. cbreze's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,121 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    For anyone on a very tight budget this might work, only providing they use very little data, as going over is another $20 for 300MB additional. Now you'd be over the $30/2GB plan. I like to stream some radio while I'm working around the house and in a couple days I'd be well over that limit. One just needs to be sure of their needs, but keeping an eye on the data meter would def be prudent with this type of plan. One could always try it and if the limit is uncomfortably close to soon just swap to the 2GB plan.
  12. jgsinc1's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Verizon has a data plan that is 2gb for $30 a month why would you pay $20 for 300mb and have to worry about going over that limit. From my understanding as long as you had a phone line with the unlimited data you can keep the unlimited.

    You might want to check on that.
  13. BlackBerryMagnet's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    not really.

    I use wifi on my phone at least 70% of the time (Work, School, and friends' houses)

    I watch Youtube videos, stream pandora, check twitter, facebook, BBM, BBM Music all the time and only used about 70mb for the month.

    Why not save a little extra money if you're not using all that data anyway?
    One other thing I forgot to mention. Other than someone possibly having no financial choice, constantly depending on the proximity of wifi defeats the purpose and flexibility of being mobile. Even though those points were good about using wifi for heavy data usage and/or frequent proximity to it anyway, because of that, you are virtually tethered if you want to access anything that consumes alot of data, or pay for the consequences of going over. As more and more video content becomes prevalent on the net, with such a low data limit, you and others are going to be stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    For anyone on a very tight budget this might work, only providing they use very little data, as going over is another $20 for 300MB additional. . .
    You ain't kidding. I just found out that fact when talking to VZW recently. I thought it was just $10 for another 1 GB but like you said it's $20 for only 300 MB!

    Quote Originally Posted by jgsinc1 View Post
    Verizon has a data plan that is 2gb for $30 a month why would you pay $20 for 300mb and have to worry about going over that limit. . . .
    Budgets are budgets but if you slip up and go over . . . I totally agree.
    It's not just good, it's BlackBerry good!
  14. shemaree09's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerryMagnet View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention. Other than someone possibly having no financial choice, constantly depending on the proximity of wifi defeats the purpose and flexibility of being mobile. Even though those points were good about using wifi for heavy data usage and/or frequent proximity to it anyway, because of that, you are virtually tethered if you want to access anything that consumes alot of data, or pay for the consequences of going over. As more and more video content becomes prevalent on the net, with such a low data limit, you and others are going to be stuck.





    You ain't kidding. I just found out that fact when talking to VZW recently. I thought it was just $10 for another 1 GB but like you said it's $20 for only 300 MB!





    Budgets are budgets but if you slip up and go over . . . I totally agree.

    You're right, but since I already pay $40/mo for internet at home, why not use it for my phone too.

    I'm also lucky enough to be able to connect to wifi at work.

    Since I spend most of my time at work and home, using wifi works out really well.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
  15. BB.David's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBF354
    #15  

    Default

    That was fast... Verizon seems to have axed the $20/month plan for smartphones.

    With a minimum of $30/month for 2GB this makes Verizon the most expensive U.S. carrier.

    Verizon:
    $30/month for 2GB
    $50/month for 5GB (NO mobile hotspot / tethering included)

    AT&T:
    $20/month for 300MB
    $30/month for 3GB
    $50/month for 5GB (with mobile hotspot / tethering included)
    Last edited by BB.David; 01-23-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Posting Permissions