Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Using 9650 abroad in UK

Hey guy, new to CB here and I had a quick question.

I have a 9650 and have enabled the $64.99 International Data Roaming plan on my line for the time I will be in the UK. This allows me unlimited access to data on my phone, which is great. Only problem is calls are .99/min, which is kind of costly. My personal phone is an android (Evo 3D) and I know there are tons of VOIP apps for android that would allow me to make calls over data, but I dont think CDMA roaming is available in the UK. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any apps I could use that would route my calls via data connection, so I wouldnt have to use minutes while abroad. Also any similar texting apps would be great as well.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

I didn't think they offered unlimited international data roaming anymore. You may want to confirm that. Your 9650 will work on GSM while in London, so you don't have to worry about London not operating a CDMA network. Lastly, I don't believe there is an app that will allow you to make calls over data.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the quick reply. The unlimited international data roaming plan is available to corporate customers, and since my BB is through work, I'm able to get it.

I've already gone an activated the SIM, so GSM service should work well.

I can't believe there are no VOIP solutions for Blackberry...

On Android/Iphone you can do Skype, Fring, Tango, Tikl etc all over a data connection, I dont need to be able to call a phone number, just as long as it works to a PC over the internet that would work. Worst case senario I can use my Evo on WiFi only mode...

Hopefully someone knows of a reliable texting over data app as well.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

Google Voice + Google Talk?