Upgrade burnin' a hole in my pocket!
11-05-10 05:31 PM
- Okay all, I need some help. I've got an early upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. I love the Droid X, but I'm concerned that it's been out since June. It's also on the 3G network. With the promise of better to come from VZW in 2011, I'm trying to decide whether to take the plunge on the Droid X now or wait till next year for a possible iPhone (if I wanted it) or some other 4G Android device.
Thanks for any/all advice.11-04-10 08:45 PM
- I bought the X back on release day (July 15th). I sold it yesterday and went back to my curve 8330. It was a fun phone. It had a lot of novelty items on it. But after 4 months texting, to me, became more of a chore than anything. The multitouch keyboard on it had a terrible layout, and was made even worse by froyo. Swype was what I used most of the time but even then i found myself going really slow as to not screw up a word because it was a HUGE pain to go back and edit he middle of a word.
It has a lot of preloaded widgets but you really cant make use of them to their full extent due to the battery draining. I had the extended battery and that helped a lot. I could get about 16 hours out of that but the only widget i ran was weatherbug.
Email was another complaint of mine. Multiple times it would not sync any of my accounts and i would miss mail. Im currently parting out a race car and relying heavily on email being pushed to me. When I lost 2 sales because of it, I decided to re-activate my curve until RIM releases something good for us on CDMA.
Its a great phone. but if you text a lot, nothing beats a berry.
Last edited by ninefall; 11-04-10 at 09:21 PM.11-04-10 09:18 PM
- Wow. That was a great review. Thank you for that. Too often on these and other forums, posts about other brands invoke outrage and outbursts. I definitely appreciate the personal experiences.
My issues with Blackberry I fear are not getting any better. I guess it comes down to the fact that when I bought my S2 and my wife's S2 (on release day) I was stoked for "webkit browser" which was on the horizon. To find out now that our phones (which are still on the vzw shelves BTW) are not getting any future OS support in the way of OS6, just have me feeling cheated. I feel duped. It is going to seriously take a lot to keep my a Blackberry fan. I'll be honest, my resolve to stay is waning every day. Not that RIM needs my business by any stretch. I certainly understand that. I just think it's time to try something different. And if I truly hated it, I could always go to eBay.
The question is whether to take the plunge now or wait. If 4G isn't going to have any phones till mid year next year and no available coverage in my area (central NJ) then I may go now. Oddly enough my zip code is listed as not 4G covered and I'm nested about 40 miles from both NYC and Philly.
I certainly want faster data, but I don't want to wait another whole year to get it. More like take the plunge now and get creative later...
I still don't know...11-04-10 09:40 PM
- I have had similar experiences with the Droids...I picked up the X and Fascinate and after a few months and it was fun...but I went back to. Curve 9330. Android has tons of good stuff but I had to buy app after app to make my phone perform more like a BB.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com11-04-10 10:16 PM
- If you want a phone now I'd go with the X cause even with 4g the first things to launch are going to be data cards not phones. Verizon didnt even get the torch so they're probably not coming out with a new RIM device anytime soon. They seem more focused on droid and possibly iphone since they're selling the ipad now.11-04-10 10:50 PM
- Speaking of new devices, is there any word on when VZW will be carrying any of the WP7 devices? I know they said the earliest would be next year, but... there was no mention of when, as in during which quarter of 2011.
I too am concerned with the lack of BB support and was considering jumping to a Fascinate next. But the slow email delivery I've heard about could pose a serious problem for me. Soooo now I want to hold out and see how WP7 is running by next year.11-05-10 06:44 AM
- Hold on to that upgrade. I am also eligible but have a fairly new Bold 9650 that's doing just fine. If possible for you just get a used something you would like to try (Android or whatever) and see if you like it. No need on burning a upgrade and going into another contract when there should be many more choices in the coming months. There is always new stuff coming out but 1st qtr 2011 may set the pace for the new era.11-05-10 09:22 AM
- Thanks for the all the tips guys! +500 karma for all for educated and thought out posts about my topic. Thanks for not flaming me for contemplating leaving BB. I too haven't seen any hinting towards a new BB device that's getting me excited. I've had enough of the Storm line and the Torch isn't coming to Big Red so I'm looking elsewhere.
As of now, I'm gonna wait it out and see what 2011 brings. Thanks guys!11-05-10 05:31 PM
- BlackBerry Carrier Discussion
- United States
- Verizon Wireless
Upgrade burnin' a hole in my pocket!
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD