Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. David526's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default ...and there goes the 1 year contract

    As of April 17th, Verizon will no longer be offering one year contracts. I'm pretty sure this will be the final straw for a lot of people. It was THE only thing they had left at this point. I don't know whats happening with Verizon lately, but they are most definitely doing anything in their power to lock you down.

    Verizon nixes the one-year contract option from April 17th - Phone Arena
  2. i_hiker's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,329 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    This post raises some other questions. Are we VZW customers for the "contract" terms or the quality of the "service"?

    The only thing a one year contract got you was a less than full retail price on a device with a shorter commitment. Two year contract gets you an even better price with a longer commitment. Frankly, I care more about the quality of my signal than any of the above.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  3. valorian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,284 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,629 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    This by no means is making it simpler for the customer. I've never gone the one years route but I can see this upsetting a lot of people.
    4.7.0.148 --> 5.0.0.328 --> 5.0.0.419 --> 5.0.0.797 --> 5.0.0.973 --> 5.0.0.1041

    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
    Thanked by:
    californiablackberry (04-09-2011) 
  4. egobuster1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    584 Global Posts
    PIN
    31BCF873
    #4  

    Default

    ive never gone the one year route ether but have thought about it many of times.
    i love the cell coverage that big red has but i love the 3G speeds of ATT
  5. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i_hiker View Post
    This post raises some other questions. Are we VZW customers for the "contract" terms or the quality of the "service"?

    The only thing a one year contract got you was a less than full retail price on a device with a shorter commitment. Two year contract gets you an even better price with a longer commitment. Frankly, I care more about the quality of my signal than any of the above.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is true, I get some people that get upset about signing a 2 year contract but they have been with Verizon for 3 years, 5 years some even over 10 years! Is commitment that hard?
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  6. valorian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,284 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,629 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    This is true, I get some people that get upset about signing a 2 year contract but they have been with Verizon for 3 years, 5 years some even over 10 years! Is commitment that hard?
    +1

    I've been with Verizon for a very long time. I don't have any plans of changing anytime soon so a 2 year contract is no big deal to me.

    Verizon could be cancelling this because not enough people are choosing the 1 year option.
    4.7.0.148 --> 5.0.0.328 --> 5.0.0.419 --> 5.0.0.797 --> 5.0.0.973 --> 5.0.0.1041

    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
  7. bighap's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,435 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,436 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I have no intentions of ever leaving Verizon but this announcement sucks if you ask me. I had every intention of only doing 1 year contracts from now on, as you are extremely outdated in 2 years in the smart phone world. Paying $70 more for a device on a 1 year contract was worth it. I would have preferred if Verizon took the AT&T route and raised the 1 year cost by $50.
  8. GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,695 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES
    #8  

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by i_hiker View Post
    Frankly, I care more about the quality of my signal than any of the above.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ^^ This. Coming from someone who had Sprint and no service to having Vzw and full 3G service, I'm with you.

    Contracts don't bother me and never have. With the exception of the never ending string of sucky Curves I got from Sprint, I keep a phone until it breaks. I don't upgrade simply because I have to have the in device. My S2 fits my needs and will continue to do so until it dies. At that point, I'll probably upgrade to whatever touchscreen device is out there.

    Aside from which, every other carrier with the exception of pre-paid ones has all but done away with one year contracts unless you want to get raped on the price of a new phone.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

    Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
  9. Tiguere's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    350 Posts
    Global Posts
    363 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    This is part of the duopoly that verizon and att and working on behind the scenes in order to squash sprint out of existence.

    if that merge goes through ill dumping verizon and heading to sprint.

    Verizon can take their lte 4g speeds and shove it.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiguere View Post
    This is part of the duopoly that verizon and att and working on behind the scenes in order to squash sprint out of existence.

    if that merge goes through ill dumping verizon and heading to sprint.

    Verizon can take their lte 4g speeds and shove it.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ok Bye! Have fun!
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  11. CarFan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    This news upset me. Until I realized I haven't renewed a contract in 3 years. I've been using several different BB purchased used on Ebay 8330>9630>9650. I'm now using a Palm Pixi Plus purchased new for 50 bucks. No contract.

    Still, I was looking forward to signing up for 1 yr to get the upcoming Bold Touch. Not sure what I'll do now. i have a few weeks to decide. Toying with the idea of signing 1yr on HTC Thunderbolt. Selling it in about 9 months and using the money to finance the BT. There should be plenty in 3rd party supply channels by then. As you can see, I don't stick with one phone very long.
  12. MrObvious's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,822 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Hmm. It's dumb but I dunno. I think it's because they have the iPhone they are doing this.
  13. organized_mayhem's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    342 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterObvious View Post
    Hmm. It's dumb but I dunno. I think it's because they have the iPhone they are doing this.
    Its the phone that changed everything. Literally
  14. lastraid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,801 Posts
    PIN
    NED To A Wall
    #14  

    Default

    I have been with VZW for over 5 years. I have had one customer ask for a 1 year contract
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

    The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    Thanked by:
    californiablackberry (04-09-2011) 
  15. dragonsamus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,509 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I've never had a one year contract but having the option was always nice. I'm sad to see it go for the people who got them.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  16. gvillager's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    349 Posts
    Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lastraid View Post
    I have been with VZW for over 5 years. I have had one customer ask for a 1 year contract
    But I bet you've done countless early upgrades during those 5 years.

    The only reason I don't like this is because phones barely last 20 months and there is only a 1 year warranty. But I'm not worried, I'll just simply negotiate a 1 year contract with customer service or executive relations. Stupid policies are meant to be broken.
  17. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
    But I bet you've done countless early upgrades during those 5 years.

    The only reason I don't like this is because phones barely last 20 months and there is only a 1 year warranty. But I'm not worried, I'll just simply negotiate a 1 year contract with customer service or executive relations. Stupid policies are meant to be broken.
    Interesting...Let me know how that goes.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  18. BB.David's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBF354
    #18  

    Thumbs down

    The 1-year contracts were aimed for people who want the latest phone but don't want to pay full retail so they sign a 1-year contract. And with Verizon removing the early upgrade option for everybody, this couldn't come at a worst time. Now customers are going to be forced to use their phones for at least 20-24 months.

    It's going to be interesting how Verizon handles those customers expecting a yearly early upgrade (with their beat up, scratched up phone) and being told "no, comeback in one year."
  19. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB.David View Post
    The 1-year contracts were aimed for people who want the latest phone but don't want to pay full retail so they sign a 1-year contract. And with Verizon removing the early upgrade option for everybody, this couldn't come at a worst time. Now customers are going to be forced to use their phones for at least 20-24 months.

    It's going to be interesting how Verizon handles those customers expecting a yearly early upgrade (with their beat up, scratched up phone) and being told "no, comeback in one year."
    Forced? With the exception of early upgrades, it's common knowledge that you wait 20-24 months for a new phone with a 2-year contract. Maybe people shouldn't beat up their phones. I know some times it can't be helped but come on.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  20. BayVol's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    115 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    I would sign a lifetime contract with Verizon. Love them and their service.
  21. 7scarabs's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    220 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    Forced? With the exception of early upgrades, it's common knowledge that you wait 20-24 months for a new phone with a 2-year contract. Maybe people shouldn't beat up their phones. I know some times it can't be helped but come on.
    I agree. I'm a long-time VZW customer(since 1999, when Ameritech Cellular transferred its original Chicago network to GTE/VZW), and "New Every 2" was understood to mean what it said. If you wanted a new phone anytime sooner, you'd pay retail. That was the deal. End of story. So, you'd take reasonable care of your phone if you wanted it to last through those 2 years.

    Now, for those who automatically consider a phone obsolete as soon as a new model hits the market, and just HAVE to get what seems to be the "latest and greatest," there's probably no kind of contract or plan that could ever be developed that would guarantee a new phone free or at a discount whenever someone wanted one.... since new items come out MORE often than once during the course of a year.
  22. 7scarabs's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    220 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    This is true, I get some people that get upset about signing a 2 year contract but they have been with Verizon for 3 years, 5 years some even over 10 years! Is commitment that hard?
    I don't get it either. In spite of always being, technically, in some phase of a "contract," I've never had a problem, or any kind of charge, for making changes to my plan whenever my needs changed. And, no matter how many changes I made in my service plan, the upgrade eligibility never changed... it was always available 24 months after whenever I'd gotten the last new phone. Same is true now that I've been in the system long enough to qualify for the early upgrade.

    Still, I doubt that any contract would be short enough to please those who feel compelled to get a new phone whenever something new hits the market. Many don't understand that the carriers don't make their money by selling phones... the service is the real commodity, and they provide phones at a discount from the MSRP to sell that service.
  23. TrendyProfessional1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,945 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I'm not one that likes change, so I will be sticking with VZ.
    If u are a business customer u can still upgrade your device
    on a one year plan.
    I have several lines, and since I am the primary acct# holder
    I take all the upgrades. Yes I am miffed and disappointed.
    But I will just handle my upgrades wisely as I always have.
    If it realy comes down to it, I can always pay half cash
    and bill the rest to my acct.....
    But they need to extend the phone warranties to two years.
    That would indeed be fair.
    AKA Soba1
  24. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyProfessional1 View Post
    I'm not one that likes change, so I will be sticking with VZ.
    If u are a business customer u can still upgrade your device
    on a one year plan.
    I have several lines, and since I am the primary acct# holder
    I take all the upgrades. Yes I am miffed and disappointed.
    But I will just handle my upgrades wisely as I always have.
    If it realy comes down to it, I can always pay half cash
    and bill the rest to my acct.....
    But they need to extend the phone warranties to two years.
    That would indeed be fair.
    See, I always thought they should warranty the phone for the length of the contract. In essence they do, but you have to pay 1.99 a month for the extra year coverage. I highly doubt they will change that but that would be fair to include a warranty for the phone for the duration of the contract. I mean what's 1.99 really? The subscription charge for Backup Assistant is 1.99 but they offer that free for registering for My Verizon, maybe they should offer free Extended Warranty to those that have completed a 2-year term already or pay a certain amount for a price plan...

    I have come across so many people that have their phone mess up on the 13th or 14th month of having the phone, no extended warranty, and they feel screwed, so there should be some option.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  25. periwinklemoon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    674 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I've been a customer since VZW hit the Chicago metro area market.
    I don't like this latest turn of events.
    Feels too heavy-handed in a restrictive sense, for lack of a better description.
    Taking away the 1 year option (no matter what one's reasoning for signing up for that option) feels like taking away some breathing room. Consumers need to feel a little bit of flexibility (even if it's not a smart move economically). It's a psychological reaction. If I'm feeling a crunch, be a little flexible somewhere, I'll pay you back with loyalty. Box me in further, I won't forget. It's human nature. Too many people are feeling cornered in today, any corporation opting to go into long-term choke hold stance with customers is going in the wrong direction. Not a smart move in this economy, IMVHO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions