Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By trsbbs
  • 1 Post By kbz1960
  • 1 Post By kbz1960
  • 1 Post By trsbbs
  • 1 Post By BB.David
  • 1 Post By kbz1960
  • 1 Post By trsbbs
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Switching from US Cellular to Verizon

With the announcement from USCC that they would NOT be selling the new BB10 phones I am in need of some advice.

Right now I have unlimited text (important), 5 gigs data a month and 1500 talk minutes (family plan Belief plan) and it runs me about
    $61 a month.

Looking at the very badly laid out Verizon website I came up with $120 a month for unlimited except data which is capped
    at 6 gig. (they dont have 5 gig plan).

Is this correct? The $120 a month?

That $732 a year more just to get a BB10!

ATT is out of the question as is Sprint.

USCC has the best coverage in my part of Wisconsin and have been with them for many many years.
    I hate to leave them, but they only sell Droids. They dont even have a good Windows phone and they are still
    asking $149 for a 9850. (this price is nuts these days)

Thanks,

Tim
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.3253
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    I want to buy a new BlackBerry but no one has one for me to look at! Let alone buy! Sad....
    spencerdl likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,353 Global Posts

I'm looking to change also and same thing. $40 more per month for less. Holy crap.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    280BF90E

Quote Originally Posted by trsbbs View Post
    With the announcement from USCC that they would NOT be selling the new BB10 phones I am in need of some advice.

Right now I have unlimited text (important), 5 gigs data a month and 1500 talk minutes (family plan Belief plan) and it runs me about
    $61 a month.

Looking at the very badly laid out Verizon website I came up with $120 a month for unlimited except data which is capped
    at 6 gig. (they dont have 5 gig plan).

Is this correct? The $120 a month?

That $732 a year more just to get a BB10!

ATT is out of the question as is Sprint.

USCC has the best coverage in my part of Wisconsin and have been with them for many many years.
    I hate to leave them, but they only sell Droids. They dont even have a good Windows phone and they are still
    asking $149 for a 9850. (this price is nuts these days)

Thanks,

Tim
    Why is ATT out of the question?
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,353 Global Posts

For me att is out of the question because their service is minimal where I travel.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by adjdudley21 View Post
    Why is ATT out of the question?
    First they are evil. I don't like how they lie and nickel/dime their customers. Remember the Bridge lie and money grab?

Second they have terrible coverage where I am.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    I want to buy a new BlackBerry but no one has one for me to look at! Let alone buy! Sad....
    spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

In response to the first post, yes that calculation is correct when running the Share Everything Calculator - Verizon Wireless

You gain unlimited minutes so you could drop a land line to save some money per month I suppose.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    In my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by trsbbs View Post
    First they are evil. I don't like how they lie and nickel/dime their customers. Remember the Bridge lie and money grab?

Second they have terrible coverage where I am.

Tim

Uhh AT&T does not nickel and dime you compared to Verizon... Yeah they charge for bridging but we have a way around that through rroyy. Didn't verizon try to charge people a couple dollars if they didn't pay their bill a certain way? Than pulled it when FCC got involved.
    Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 OS: 10.2.1.2941
    Playbook 64G WiFi QNX: SOLD
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by jstarett View Post
    Uhh AT&T does not nickel and dime you compared to Verizon... Yeah they charge for bridging but we have a way around that through rroyy. Didn't verizon try to charge people a couple dollars if they didn't pay their bill a certain way? Than pulled it when FCC got involved.
    They pulled while ATT can still come after you if they wanted to.
    The lie ATT told "We delayed the Bridge software to insure it met our standard of user satisfaction".

Sorry, if it works for you great,
    Just not for me.

Tim
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

That amount doesn't sound right. We have 6 smart phones and two regular phones on our line with 6 gigs of data/month, unlimited talk and text, and it is just over $300 a month. I'd call them because I agree their website leaves much to be desired. Been with Verizon for 21 years (through several acquisitions) and I'm please as punch with their customer service, coverage and support. Plus I get to buy a white Z10!!
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    32FBF354

With Verizon you might have to sacrifice and get lower data tier plan to save some money. We have 2 iPhones and 2 BlackBerry's and we share a 3GB data plan but includes unlimited text and voice minutes. Still expensive but we just have to cut down on our mobile usage outside Wi-Fi.

How about T-Mobile?
    spencerdl likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,353 Global Posts

Lower data. I use 2 to 3 gb a month just myself and sometimes more. There is no wifi where I use that data. For me tmo doesn't have service where I go. This is turning into more than what I expected.
    spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    15,100 Global Posts

I'm also in the same position, I have to leave Sprint after several years of service if I want the Z10. After doing my calculations on my own and with a Verizon Rep, my monthly bill will be $110 (w/Sprint $80). I would also have to keep a eye on my data usage which I'm not accustom to doing. To have this Z10 is taking me places I'm not sure is worth it, different carrier, more money, incomplete bridge, custom profile issue, just to name a few......I'm really starting to wonder if I should just keep my 9930 and wait for the next round of BB10 phones
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by BB.David View Post
    With Verizon you might have to sacrifice and get lower data tier plan to save some money. We have 2 iPhones and 2 BlackBerry's and we share a 3GB data plan but includes unlimited text and voice minutes. Still expensive but we just have to cut down on our mobile usage outside Wi-Fi.

How about T-Mobile?
    T-Mobile has terrible coverage here. Otherwise I would go with them.

This whole thing is a pain. Maybe its time for something new.

Tim

Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    spencerdl likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

I would say wait and see how everything turns out, there is no rush to change if your current phone is working alright and maybe US Cellular will get a BB10 device or two. I think US cellular is just waiting to see how Verizon and Sprint BB10 devices plays out in sells.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

I've been with USCC since they acquired PrimeCo.. i'd hate to leave them too.. but they basically said "we dont care about you" when they sold their chicago market to Sprint. So i dont care either!
    I too am going to VZ.. i'm waiting on the Z10 and Q10 for me and the mrs.
    VZ is the only logical choice. Its still a CDMA network and way better than Sprint. Itís also the best rated nationwide. And #2 in the US Central, with USCC holding #1. (according to JDPower)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,287 Global Posts

Default Re: Switching from US Cellular to Verizon

The one thing you want to keep in mind is the Z/Q 10 will not have compressed data....2 to 3 could become 4 to 6.... id check w vzw if your data can be dropped down. In other words start with 10gb and see what you use over a couple months and throttle down as needed. I dont think you want to be paying the 15/gb overage charge
    BLACKBERRY!! We go where you go!

BBM#71
    CrackBerry User

Yeah, I can second trsbbs. I moved to Madison from Chicago with Tmobile service, and I was lucky to get 1 bar downtown here. AT&T isn't much better here despite them running ads that they've expanded coverage. Anything more than 5mi off the interstate and cell phone service seriously deteriorates. USCC and Verizon have the best coverage for us.

Ironically, I got a call from Verizon last week asking if I wanted to switch cell services. They asked me my plan (similar to trsbbs- 5gb data, 450mins) for ~$60 after taxes and all they could say was, "thank you, have a nice day".

Still not sure why USCC is so married to Android. They still have the 9850 for $149 (I bought it several months back for $200 + $100 prepaid visa) but were trying to pawn the Motorola Electify off on me for $90 before they even announced it's replacement.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,103 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Yep. Verizon is expensive.