Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Someone Jamming Signal, who do I report to

I was at the dentists office, and found I go NO signal... not even in the parking lot.... I had to go to the other end of the stip mall befoew I got signal

I mentioned to the asistant that they are really in a 'dead spot'.

SHE REPLIED that the doctor has a 'phone jammer'....

Inst this illegal? if it is, who do I report to?
    Retired Superstar

Global Posts
    15,482 Global Posts

More then likely it was just a dead spot.

But if your so curious call your carrier.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

federal communications bureau
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

but is is illegal to use your phone at the doctors office, hence the signs
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,729 Global Posts

Contact the FCC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

Never once seen a sign at the doctors that it was illegal or not allowed to use my phone.
    I've sipped many different Kool-Aid's...

Global Posts
    32,770 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Quote Originally Posted by Totalimmortal363 View Post
    Never once seen a sign at the doctors that it was illegal or not allowed to use my phone.
    Not illegal, just common courtesy.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

In response to multiple inquiries concerning the sale and use of transmitters designed to prevent, jam or interfere with the operation of cellular and personal communications service (PCS) telephones, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is issuing this Public Notice to make clear that the marketing, sale, or operation of this type of equipment is unlawful. Anyone involved with such activities may be subject to forfeitures, fines or even criminal prosecution.

Parties violating the provisions of the Communications Act and/or FCC rules mentioned above may be subject to the penalties set forth in 47 USC §§ 501-510. Monetary forfeitures for a first offense can be as much as $11,000 a day for each violation and could subject the offender to criminal prosecution. Equipment may also be seized by the United States Marshals and forfeited to the U.S. Government.

For additional information, contact Brian Butler, Spectrum Enforcement Division, Enforcement Bureau, at (202) 418-1160 or brian.butler@fcc.gov.
    http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Public_Notices/DA-05-1776A1.html
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...

Quote Originally Posted by Totalimmortal363 View Post
    Many hospitals have signs asking not to use them, at least in certain areas.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBCE4E

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Many hospitals have signs asking not to use them, at least in certain areas.
    It interferes with some of the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by markhunsaker View Post
    It interferes with some of the equipment.
    Yep, seeing what that GSM buzz does to my radios, I can only imagine the interference it could create.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,831 Global Posts

My dr office has a sign asking that mobile devices not be used. There are areas in hospitals that allow cell phones and some areas that don't. At least in Phoenix.
    Am sure it varies from city to city.

Have an Incredible day !
    Phoenix Suns Rule !
    CrackBerry Abuser

You would think phone jamming equipment would interfere with hospital equipment more than a cell phone. I'm not sure how they work though so that may not be the case.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    949 Global Posts

Think about this for a moment... do you really want to snitch on someone who prods around in your mouth with sharp objects? Watch Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman before you make that call to the FCC.

It's unfortunate that some people are so rude with their cell phones that businesses resort to illegally jamming signals. The jammers, while illegal, are available pretty inexpensively if you know where to look.

I view them as a-hole filters. I gave one to the owner of my favorite restaurant, who absolutely hates it when someone starts yakking during a meal. He says he hasn't lost any business since his place became a dead spot... and his customers appreciate the quiet.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

At my local hospital, they cut off all cellular service.
    I walk inside, my service drops and my device says 'Searching for CDMA Network....'
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
    I view them as a-hole filters. I gave one to the owner of my favorite restaurant, who absolutely hates it when someone starts yakking during a meal. He says he hasn't lost any business since his place became a dead spot... and his customers appreciate the quiet.
    And his customers will REALLY appreciate it when one of them is having a heart attack and nobody can get through to 911... At least it will make the "moment of silence" easier...
    CrackBerry User

And his customers will REALLY appreciate it when one of them is having a heart attack and nobody can get through to 911... At least it will make the "moment of silence" easier...
    I am pretty sure most medical offices still use the good old trusty land lines. Usually within the reach of the secretary and or doctor. You know, just in case of emergencies, contacting patients, etc. Oh, and I am pretty these "copper land lines" are immune to these "radio jammers" and also do not require batteries, etc.

I am not sure to what kind of "medical offices" have you guys been going to, but I am pretty sure most hospitals and offices are still being wired with land line phones. I mean, the last thing you want to worry about is having poor reception. Imagine dying because you got zero bars with your AT&T phone... :P

Come on people...you are just being ridiculous.
    Last edited by empreality; 11-19-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by empreality View Post
    I am pretty sure most medical offices still use the good old trusty land lines. Usually within the reach of the secretary and or doctor. You know, just in case of emergencies, contacting patients, etc. Oh, and I am pretty these "copper land lines" are immune to these "radio jammers".

The post I was responding to was regarding a restaurant, but the fact of the matter is that blocking cellphone signals should not be left up to the whim of any individual and that is why they have laws against jammers. What if its your mother having a heart attack in her car in this doctor's parking lot that is being covered by his jammer? We could make up scenarios all day.

It could also actually be in a dead zone and the doctor jokes about having a jammer...
    CrackBerry User

The post I was responding to was regarding a restaurant, but the fact of the matter is that blocking cellphone signals should not be left up to the whim of any individual and that is why they have laws against jammers. What if its your mother having a heart attack in her car in this doctor's parking lot that is being covered by his jammer? We could make up scenarios all day.

It could also actually be in a dead zone and the doctor jokes about having a jammer...
    Hmm, that is a good point.
    CrackBerry Genius

I've used my phone in dr offices (waiting rooms)...not talking but texting and such. Sometimes it's a dead zone if it's in a "deep" part of the building but most of the time, I have signal.

Jammers are illegal. I doubt doctors would have them.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

God I wonder what they did hundreds of years ago when people had heart attacks in their cars and their cell phone was jammed?!

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    God I wonder what they did hundreds of years ago when people had heart attacks in their cars and their cell phone was jammed?!

They died.

CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

I can't believe you are so upset OP.
    The dentist isn't a leisurely hang out. Most people go there, and immediately leave after their appointment is over.

I'd just deal with it, as you are only there once every 6 to 12 months.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts

The OP indicated this was in the parking lot also.
    It may be discourteous to use a phone in some places.
    It *IS* illegal to jam cell traffic in *ALL* places in the US.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast