Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question SIM cards for Verizon phones?

This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if you can use a SIM card with a Verizon bought phone? I am considering switching to TMO and I know that Verizon doesn't use SIM cards but if I want to switch between a new Curve and my current Verizon Razr would I be able to do that? Is there a place to put SIM cards into a Verizon phone?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Addict

No. You can put Micro SD cards, but not SIM cards.
    Curve 8330 => Storm2 9550 with 5.0.0.1015 (NOT OS6! ) => Motorola Droid OG => iPhone 4
    Follow Me on Twitter : OnAPonderous
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts
    PIN
    321ECD5A

I don't think they use them. At least no vzw phone I've ever had has had one. That includes six phones to date

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

I don't think you can unless you get both active sorry to give yeah the bad news

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by irishchick22 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if you can use a SIM card with a Verizon bought phone? I am considering switching to TMO and I know that Verizon doesn't use SIM cards but if I want to switch between a new Curve and my current Verizon Razr would I be able to do that? Is there a place to put SIM cards into a Verizon phone?

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, that will not work. Two incompatible technologies. Verizon uses CDMA whereas T-Mobile uses GSM, while CDMA involves ESN numbers for verification and GSM involves SIM cards.

Paul

Actually, the 8830WE from Verizon uses a sim card - but I don't know details. It is used when you go OUT of the US (Canada) and allows the 8830WE to use the frequency used in Europe. But I don't know if the card is FREQUENCY-related or only allows the calling to occur over there. If you get the 8830 UNlocked from Verizon you can use foreign sim cards and cheaper calling in europe.
    CrackBerry User

The 8830WE has a sim card slot to be used in GSM countries worldwide, but somehow does not work with sim cards from US carriers(att, tmobile, etc.)
    HEY VZW- FREE WIFI AND BLUETOOTH!!!

-gzu36c
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

^^^ The GSM frequencies for the US have been turned off in the firmware for the GSM radio side.