Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By underway99
  1. BeRefreshed's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Question Questions about switching family to Verizon from TMobile

    Hi, hope someone can help me I'm planning on leaving Tmo for Verizon next month. I'd be starting off with an individual plan and I would like to eventually add my parents -in a few months- when their Tmo contracts expire. That way I can hopefully pay for one family plan on VZW for all of us. My questions are:

    On Verizon, can I upgrade my individual plan to a family plan at any time? I've heard some carriers require a waiting period to "add a line" for new customers.

    Will my parents be able to port their Tmo numbers to VZW, or will they be required to get new numbers since they will be joining VZW through "add a line" on my account?

    I have never dealt with Verizon before so any help will be greatly appreciated
  2. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,744 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Not sure about upgrading to a family plan, but you can port the numbers to a new added line or even an existing line. Keeping their numbers shouldn't be a problem.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-21-2011) 
  3. BeRefreshed's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Not sure about upgrading to a family plan, but you can port the numbers to a new added line or even an existing line. Keeping their numbers shouldn't be a problem.
    That's a relief to know. Thank you!
  4. underway99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,302 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,341 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    It is my experience that you can make plan changes anytime you want with Big Red. I have added and canceled lines, ported numbers, etc. They will certainly allow you to expand your account by changing to a family share plan. There might be a charge from TMO or VZW when you port your parents' telephone numbers, but there is no reason that you can't do it. There will, of course, be additional charges from TMO if your parents still have contract time remaining on their accounts.

    Remember that you'll have to replace your GSM TMO phones with CDMA phones. Oh darn -- new phones!
    Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10 and Q10, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-21-2011) 
  5. BeRefreshed's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Underway99 View Post
    It is my experience that you can make plan changes anytime you want with Big Red. I have added and canceled lines, ported numbers, etc. They will certainly allow you to expand your account by changing to a family share plan. There might be a charge from TMO or VZW when you port your parents' telephone numbers, but there is no reason that you can't do it. There will, of course, be additional charges from TMO if your parents still have contract time remaining on their accounts.

    Remember that you'll have to replace your GSM TMO phones with CDMA phones. Oh darn -- new phones!
    Excellent, thank you for the info! When I expand to a family plan, will this push back the end of my contract to 2yrs from the date I expand (for example- if I am 4 months into an individual contract, with 20 months remaining, and then expand to a family plan, will my contract now reflect that I have 24 months to go or will the remaining time stay at 20 months? Hope this is not too confusing)

    As for getting new phones...MMM, cannot wait! I hope the 9850 will be available soon on VZW.
  6. underway99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,302 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,341 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeRefreshed View Post
    Excellent, thank you for the info! When I expand to a family plan, will this push back the end of my contract to 2yrs from the date I expand (for example- if I am 4 months into an individual contract, with 20 months remaining, and then expand to a family plan, will my contract now reflect that I have 24 months to go or will the remaining time stay at 20 months? Hope this is not too confusing)

    As for getting new phones...MMM, cannot wait! I hope the 9850 will be available soon on VZW.
    The contract term is set for each individual line, not the account. Your contract time will start the day you switch to VZW. If you change to a family share plan in four or five months, your individual line will become the primary line on the share plan and keep your original contract date. When you add two more lines for your family, those lines will have their contract dates set when you add them.

    EDIT: A note about porting your parents' numbers. As I understand it, most numbers can be ported from one provider to another, so long as the account with the original service provider is in good standing. Having said that, I've heard that there are some cases where numbers cannot be ported to another provider. I do not know any details though -- it was several years ago when some companies wanted nothing to do with customers taking their numbers to other providers. The courts told them to shape up and let it happen. At any rate, I'd suggest that you talk to VZW customer service and ask. They should be able to tell you specifically if your parents' numbers can be moved to VZW.
    Last edited by Underway99; 08-22-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added porting notes
    Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10 and Q10, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-22-2011) 
  7. GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,686 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES
    #7  

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Underway99 View Post
    Having said that, I've heard that there are some cases where numbers cannot be ported to another provider. I do not know any details though -- it was several years ago when some companies wanted nothing to do with customers taking their numbers to other providers. .
    If you're changing area codes, chances are you'll have to get a new number. I live in Arkansas, but it's free to call Memphis. When I first got my cell phone over 13 years ago, there were no Arkansas cell #'s so I had to get a 901 number which is a Memphis area code. As time went on, Arkansas got cell phone numbers with an 870 area code but if you swapped carriers, you had to get a new # because not all carriers had 870 area code numbers. This was years ago. I'm sure now as long as it's not long distance to call from your landline that it'd be okay to keep the same number. It's always been free for my part of Arkansas to call any Memphis number on a landlie.

    I was able to port my number I got over 13 years ago from SunCom to AT&T to Cingular back to AT&T to Nextel to Sprint then finally to Verizon without a problem or any fees.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

    Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-22-2011) 
  8. CharlesH's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    517 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSunshine View Post
    If you're changing area codes, chances are you'll have to get a new number.
    Porting implies moving the entire phone number (area code + 7 digits) to another provider that serves the same geographic area. More specifically, the area code and 3-digit prefix determine a "rate center", and you can port a number among the providers (landline or cellular) that serve that rate center. This is why it is called "Local Number Portability". If VZW does not serve a particular area, you cannot port a number in that area to VZW.
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-22-2011) 
  9. kirkub's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    19 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Verizon's website allows you to simply input your existing phone number to check if it can be ported. But I don't have 10 posts on here yet, so the forum won't let me post the link...
    Cheers

    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/LNPControllerServlet
    Last edited by kirkub; 08-22-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I guess this was my 10th post, so URL included!
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-22-2011) 
  10. BeRefreshed's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Underway99, ColdSunshine, CharlesH & kirkub, thank you kindly for all the helpful info! It's good to know that numbers can be ported multiple times between carriers if needed. I have been with T-Mobile for over 10 years but I recently moved (only moved 5 miles from my old house) but Tmo service is very spotty here at the new place. I can see from my Verizon friends that their coverage is perfect here so I'm excited to switch!

    I spoke with a VZW Rep in store today and he verified that "yes" I can do all the things I want to do and keep all the numbers the same I will have to pay activation fees for my parents' numbers which is fine. Now I just need to wait and see if VZW will get the 9850, if not I will get the shiny new Bold. Either will be a step up from my aging Curve 8900
  11. underway99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,302 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,341 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    That's really what this place is here for. Don't be a stranger. Pretty soon you'll be the one answering the questions.
    Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10 and Q10, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro
    BeRefreshed likes this.
  12. otacon#AC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Verizon likes to change it's plans often. Check back every few months and take a look at what they are offering. I changed to a different plan with the same amount of minutes and saved $20 a month. Check with you job too and see if they offer a corp discount.
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-23-2011) 
  13. GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,686 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES
    #13  

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by otacon72 View Post
    . Check with you job too and see if they offer a corp discount.

    This. I only get 8% but my sister swapped to Verizon and she gets 21%. Also, if any of your friends have Verizon, ask them to refer you. They'll get a $25 prepaid Visa card and you'll get one also. I referred a friend of mine not too long ago and just got mine in the mail last week.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

    Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    Thanked by:
    BeRefreshed (08-23-2011) 
  14. BeRefreshed's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    @Underway99 - Thank you for the warm welcome!

    @octagon72 -
    I will definitely be keeping my eye on new Verizon plans! It's nice to know there won't be a 2-year restart on contracts when switching plans on VZW. Tmo would always force a new 2-year period from the date of making even a slight change to my plan. Which pushed back any eligibility for a phone upgrade another 2 years...ugh!

    @ColdSunshine - That's awesome! I'm totally doing this Thank you for the tip!

Posting Permissions