Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JimiMack
  • 1 Post By pkcable
  • 1 Post By pkcable
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Proposed Class Action Settlement Concerning America's Choice II Customers - What!?

I just got this e-mail from Verizon, and I'm wondering if anyone else received it.
    It's from AccountNotify@verizonwireless.com, which I'm pretty sure is a legit Verizon e-mail.
    By the way, I have no idea what most of this means so, if anyone would like to explain, please do.

If this turns out to be fake, mods, please close.

Here's a screen shot of the e-mail I received:
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

Its legit. If you meet the requirements you can participate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    californiablackberry (07-21-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    PIN
    What pin?

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    Its legit. If you meet the requirements you can participate.

So being as the second part of their post they said they didn't understand it, care to maybe explain it to them?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I received this as well. What is more than likely going to happen is Verizon will give you as it states "25 additional" calling minutes. Who is going to make money on this are the lawyers.

Global Posts
    32,959 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Ok here is how it works. Automatically you get 25 minutes good for 1 year they carry over month to month and are probably only pulled from IF you go over your allotment for the month. However if you have unlimited minutes OR if you apply for it you can get a calling card for 40 minutes, they are calling them "units" because sometimes depending on where you call or if you are or a payphone for example it might tick off faster, but most times its probably 40 minutes. Leasts thats how I'm reading and interpreting it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    PIN
    What pin?

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Ok here is how it works. Automatically you get 25 minutes good for 1 year they carry over month to month and are probably only pulled from IF you go over your allotment for the month. However if you have unlimited minutes OR if you apply for it you can get a calling card for 40 minutes, they are calling them "units" because sometimes depending on where you call or if you are or a payphone for example it might tick off faster, but most times its probably 40 minutes. Leasts thats how I'm reading and interpreting it.
    Thank you. Even though, as someone more intelligent than I pointed out that it's "spelled out", I don't think the OP understood it.

Global Posts
    32,959 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by JJGeneral1 View Post
    Thank you. Even though, as someone more intelligent than I pointed out that it's "spelled out", I don't think the OP understood it.
    I'm not sure I fully understood it either, too much legal BS if you ask me! Either way sounds like they are giving you guys peanuts. (I did not get a letter, but then again, I almost ALWAYS have their best rate. )
    CrackBerry Newbie

How much will the attorneys be paid and who will pay it?

The attorneys for the plaintiffs and the class have worked on this case for more than 5 years including appeals to the Supreme Court of Ohio. They will submit a request for attorneys’ fees, expenses, and incentive awards for the Class Representatives in an amount not to exceed $6 million. The Court will determine the amount of any attorneys’ fees and expenses awarded to class counsel, which will be paid by Verizon Wireless and will not affect the benefits to the class under the Settlement.
    This is just unreal. Some lawyers spent 5 1/2 years of their life and got paid $6 million so that a bunch of people can get 25 free calling minutes? What a waste of oxygen.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

These "class action" lawsuits are always a waste. The only ones that make money are all the lawyers. The plaintiffs always get pocket change. These suits should be outlawed, they are nothing but a sham.

Global Posts
    32,959 Global Posts
    PIN

Well it appears i will get my 25 minutes after all! Of course i never even go even close to going over my 400 minutes because of my friends and family. Perhaps i should apply for the calling card!
    CrackBerry User

Another way to look at this (other than its being a waste of time and money) is that it, like all class actions, enforces the terms of an existing contract. In this one, the court found that Verizon wasn't living up to their obligations for the America's Choice II plan. Now they have to. Without the prospect of legal enforcement, fewer contractual obligations would be observed. From that point of view, it's not really a waste.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,667 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

Which will also enforce the contract from the carriers point as well. Peeps trying to get out of contract for government fee increases will be disappointed to say the least.
    Posted using my device of choice. May or may not be a BlackBerry.