Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Old device receiving texts, 9930 lost in the midst

Okay guys maybe ya'll can help me out. (Or do you prefer you all? Yes I'm from Texas XD) Anywho I got my BB 9930 on the 17 of August and I have noticed that some of my texts are being sent to my old Droid Incredible while my 9930 doesn't receive them at all. So in the middle of a conversation I will miss a text as it went to my Droid Inc and not my 9930, its getting very annoying. Does anyone have a solution for me or do I have to call big red? Any help is appreciated and sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find a answer in the few threads that I did find regarding this issue. Thanks in advance!

And while I'm at it I will also ask about the VZW sim card, none of my other VZW smartphones have had sim cards so I'm wondering if it is to any benefit that it has one? Do I have to have a global plan or something to make use of it? Just wondering...
    Love what you do
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,210 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

Call VZW. Make them unregister your Inc.

SIM Card slot is used for GSM carriers.
    You can use T-Mobile sim if you buy a T-Mo card and plan.

And unlock it.

Don't worry about the simcard slot though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts

The SIM is for roaming in Europe and other countries with only GSM service. It is not used at all for CDMA service, like in North America with VZW. The SIM that comes with these "world" phones will not use at&t or T-Mobile. If you get the phone unlocked, you can put in an at&t or T-Mobile SIM and use it in the U.S. VZW will unlock it for free if you are a customer in good standing.

Note that LTE phones do have SIMs even when using CDMA for voice calls, but they still don't allow you to roam on GSM providers.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

Turn your old phone off.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Default Verizon SIM card and GSM use for Blackberry 9930

I can answer about the SIM card...
    Veriozn is a CDMA carrier (mostly used in the USA) but the device that you are using is a CDMA / GSM device and can be used also with GSM carrier (such as T-Mobile and At&t).

The GSM Network is mostly used all over the world and most of the carriers overseas are GSM carriers that using SIM cards with the phones they are selling.

The Verizon SIM Card in your Blackberry is there for the option if you go out of the country (lets say for example on a vacation in Europe) so they can make it work with the GSM network frequencies used in Europe (and charge you for "overseas" pricing).

You can benefit from it by unlocking your device. When the carriers sell cellphones they give it with a security SIM Lock that is set into the device to keep the device in their coverage, unlocking Blackberry 9930 will turn the device into a SIM free device that can work with other carriers.

That means that after the device has been unlocked you can insert a SIM Card of any GSM carrier into your Blackberry's SIM slot and it will get signal and will work with the phone number of the SIM card.

The main benefits are that when it's unlocked you can stay with your device and switch carriers.. or use it with other carriers while you are visiting other countries (prepaid sim will work and you don't need to rent a cell phone to use local on vacations and such) and also if you want to sell it, if it's unlocked BlackBerry device it will be much easier to find a seller (you have a much bigger range of users that will want it) and for that - you can set a normal price instead of low one and still get it sold fast.

hope that this info will answer your question... about your first one - sorry.. but i don't know... maybe you should contact your carrier for that and ask them.
    Last edited by blackberry-unlocking710; 08-25-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SourBB View Post
    Okay guys maybe ya'll can help me out. (Or do you prefer you all? Yes I'm from Texas XD) Anywho I got my BB 9930 on the 17 of August and I have noticed that some of my texts are being sent to my old Droid Incredible while my 9930 doesn't receive them at all. So in the middle of a conversation I will miss a text as it went to my Droid Inc and not my 9930, its getting very annoying. Does anyone have a solution for me or do I have to call big red? Any help is appreciated and sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find a answer in the few threads that I did find regarding this issue. Thanks in advance!

And while I'm at it I will also ask about the VZW sim card, none of my other VZW smartphones have had sim cards so I'm wondering if it is to any benefit that it has one? Do I have to have a global plan or something to make use of it? Just wondering...
    When you activate a new phone on the same line the old phone must be off or at least the radio must be off. If you had both on your new 9930 is probably not provisioned properly. Turn the old phone off, dial *228 and use Option 1. Keep the old phone off and ask your friends/family to send you a few text messages. If you get them all you should be good to go. If you don't call Verizon they will have to reprovision your phone probably.

The SIM card is there because you have a world capable phone. In the US the SIM card is not used for anything. Don't worry about it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,210 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterObvious View Post
    Turn your old phone off.
    I laughed at the lack of irony in your username and this post.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

Haha. Thanks Death. Another option is to put your old phone in airplane mode. It kills the CDMA radio in the phone, but if you wanna use Wi-Fi, it will only activate the Wi-Fi radio and leave CDMA off.