Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default No Data Package Needed

For those of you who don't no. And apparently this hasn't been posted anywhere else because know one had a clear answer in one of my previous posts (search for "Blackberry's must have verizon data package"). Here is the conversation and answer to a common question about data plans with BB.

I just got off the phone with a customer representative in VZW Arizona Call center.

Me=dpslusser
    V.R.=Verizon Representative

Me- "I wanted to get some information about Blackberry Data Packages. I don't have a blackberry rite now, but I was wondering what the smallest plan was"

V.R.-"Ok, the first thing I want to let you know is that you DO NOT have to have a data package in order to use the blackberry. The only things that won't work is internet/email, video/picture messaging. "

Me- "So your telling me. I can get a blackberry without a blackberry data package. LOL. Your kidding me. A local representative told me its mandatory and it won't work without it."

V.R- "Nope. You'll have full function of the phone. I swear to God. I just got done doing it 10 minutes ago with another customer."

Me- "Dude, your a Godsend. No one could give me a straight answer since the new Pearl came out for VZW."

SO THERE WE GO....THERES ARE ANSWER!!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED A DATA PACKAGE*

*When purchasing a blackberry. A data plan will auto associate with the new phone. Most vzw store representatives will NOT know that you can remove it still have full functionality. A quick call to VZW (611 from the phone) you can have the Data and Regional Data plan removed. With no Data plan, the BB can not access the VZW BB servers, therefore no Data usage (per Kilobyte) will be used.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,625 Global Posts
    PIN
    Stack.com aint got nothin on us!!!!

As most of us already know... CSR usually have no idea what they are talking about. I had a vzw BB for almost 2 years and believe me YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DATA PLAN!!! True you can get it and then cancel it. But VZW audits your account and see you do not have it they will make you get it.
    When in doubt pull the battery out!!!
    Be sure to Check out the Hottest Thread on CB.com The Crackberry Players Club!
    Want your favorite TV show's on your Blackberry? Be sure to check out videos4blackberry
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by BerryWhite View Post
    As most of us already know... CSR usually have no idea what they are talking about. I had a vzw BB for almost 2 years and believe me YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DATA PLAN!!! True you can get it and then cancel it. But VZW audits your account and see you do not have it they will make you get it.
    I asked the dude that. After seeing the same response in one of my last threads. And he said NO. He's been running different BB's for years now and never ran into that prblem.He never had complaints from any of the customers in which he did the same thing
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    721 Global Posts
    PIN
    kberry is overrated...

Then call him back and get his CSR number or something to identify him. If I ever need to I want to talk to HIM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Here we don't HAVE to have BB plan when we purchase a BB.
    But becos of the price not many people wud purchase a BB just for having a BB. They wud simply get a cell fone and there are so many cheaper fone options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Solachica View Post
    Here we don't HAVE to have BB plan when we purchase a BB.
    But becos of the price not many people wud purchase a BB just for having a BB. They wud simply get a cell fone and there are so many cheaper fone options.

The reason people get a BB without data plans, is not just becasue they want one. For many "Techy's" that sit in front of a computer all day and even when they go home, theres no need for internet access or email. So...instead of carrying a PDA and a Cell and a mp3 player. Get a Blackberry.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,472 Global Posts

Or you could go with TMO and get JUST a BB data plan and have no phone plan. You will still get a phone number, and IF you use it they will charge you a high per minute fee.

I agree, though, about VZW reps - I usually get conflicting answers. In my experience with them (for years), the in-store reps know less than the phone reps.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

The gf has had her 8830 without a data plan for 2 months now.

Yes, in the store, and online they insist upon having a data plan. When you actually talk to someone over the phone, they will give you phone only if that is what you want.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I just double checked.

At first the woman told me I needed a data plan, and I told her "Thats impossible. I just talked to someone who said I did not need the data plan" and she replied with "Oh, so you want phone only, without internet and e-mail" and I said yes.

The rep I talked to was "Nan". I dialed *611, pushed 2 to make a change to my plan, and got her.

If anyone else out there has a data plan and swears up and down they have to have it, but you don't need it, call them now. Save yourself like 40$ a month.

Edit: I told her to e-mail me a copy of the new plan, so when I get that I'll post it up for you guys.
    Last edited by scraggles; 12-20-2007 at 12:21 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts

Just remember that without a data plan, you will only be able to use the phone and send SMS. No MMS or anything else (okay, you can use the camera, media player, and PIM functions, but you get the gist). I don't think that BB Messenger will work. VZ Nav won't. Etc.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shemmy View Post
    Just remember that without a data plan, you will only be able to use the phone and send SMS. No MMS or anything else (okay, you can use the camera, media player, and PIM functions, but you get the gist). I don't think that BB Messenger will work. VZ Nav won't. Etc.
    That's true. I think MMS will still be available, however at a cost.

As for if BB Messenger works, I'm not sure as I don't have anyone on my list. It doesn't say if I am connected or not. If someone wants to find that out for me, my pin is 317EF191

I know some of you guys out there really like having the phone to use for just a phone, audio/video. It's a great little phone, and I personally found the internet on it to suck. You can't get on any of the main messengers without paying for additional software, so to me, all I need it for is a phone with texting abilities. And it's costing me less that 40$ a month for that

Before I had this phone, I had a plan that was costing me 54$ a month for the exact same thing.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,393 Global Posts
    PIN
    You have to be on the VIP list

bbm will not work if you do not have a data plan. It is a data feature.
    Retired Forum Moderator
    ---------------------

CrackBerry Forums How-To

CrackBerry Tips & Frequently Asked Questions

CrackBerry User

ugh... no mms? any one verify this? i need this and have the unlim. txt an pic messaging but there wont be mms if i dont get a data plan?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Well, I'm off of the data package, yet I can still go online. Is there a way to disable the feature for the time being so I don't add any additional charges that I am not already expecting?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by scraggles View Post
    Well, I'm off of the data package, yet I can still go online. Is there a way to disable the feature for the time being so I don't add any additional charges that I am not already expecting?
    This may be a dumb question, but are you using a BB just as a phone?
    CrackBerry User

I don't understand why you would buy a bb to just it as a phone. Save yourself som money and just buy a phone instead. You are defeating the purpose of the BB.

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

To me, I guess it defeats the purpose for having a BB and not be able to use all of the availabile functions. AT&T informed me that I needed a data plan after I called them about internet access, additonal charges, etc.

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    24A43A14

I had this conversation with my cousin recently...he wanted to get a smartphone just because of the way it looked. He didn't want to use anything else on it except the phone and text messaging. I told him that there's no use in getting in a smartphone if you're not going to use all of its features...you do better off getting another phone that has a keyboard but not a smartphone.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    UID10TER

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklatino View Post
    To me, I guess it defeats the purpose for having a BB
    BL, some people just aren't practical. Which sometimes I am guilty of And I guess they have not really experienced the joy of the "red blinking light" as well.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dionnfr View Post
    I don't understand why you would buy a bb to just it as a phone. Save yourself som money and just buy a phone instead. You are defeating the purpose of the BB.
    I guess I don't see why it is such a big deal. For me part of the rational for picking a BB was the ability to sync my calender and contacts easily with my computer. I know I can do that with a regular phone, but the calender would be pretty hard to navigate and therefore not as useful. Having the BB allows me to only carry one device, instead of a phone and a PDA. I enjoy being able to get my emails on the fly and access to the internet is handy too, but for me, not critical. The PDA part of the BB is what sold me.

And the comment about saving some money is not really relevant. My BB was $50 after rebates/discounts, some of the nicer traditional phones were easily more money.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    UID10TER

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bensmom243 View Post
    I guess I don't see why it is such a big deal. For me part of the rational for picking a BB was the ability to sync my calender and contacts easily with my computer. I know I can do that with a regular phone, but the calender would be pretty hard to navigate and therefore not as useful. Having the BB allows me to only carry one device, instead of a phone and a PDA. I enjoy being able to get my emails on the fly and access to the internet is handy too, but for me, not critical. The PDA part of the BB is what sold me.

And the comment about saving some money is not really relevant. My BB was $50 after rebates/discounts, some of the nicer traditional phones were easily more money.

Totally agree! Before BlackBerry, I was using my PALM and Sony Ericsson and carrying two devices to get what I need was not a practical thing to do. Jumped in, and never looked back. And yes, sometimes I do turn off my Data Service and just have my basic device feature. Though I'm a crackberry addict, a break is sometimes needed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    PIN

thats what they told me at verizon is that you can get the phone without a data plan but wont have access to alot of the functions
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by scraggles View Post
    can you still mms?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    PIN

well if you can get a BB for the same price as those other gimmicky phones why not, even if you dont use the data part...I hate all the new phones that are out, they are mostly all designed for high school kids in my opinion. I do have the data package but can understand why someone would just get the phone without the package. the phone still has alot of features others dont such as customization that are pretty cool. Think about it, would you rather have a crappy cell phone or a BB that doesnt have data....i would pick BB everytime
    CrackBerry Newbie

you HAVE to get a BB data package to be able to use a BB with Verizon. i've confirmed this with 3 different reps 2 salesman at a 2 different verizon corporate locations, a person over the phone when i dialed 611, and my friend who owns a verizon store locally and they all told me i have to have a BB data plan. i asked if i can later cancel it they said no the BB only works with the data plan. My other friend is on ATT and is using his BB pearl 8100 as just a phone with no data package (verizon screws us once again).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast