Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By kbz1960
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New Upgrade fee

VZW announces new $30 service fee to upgrade to a new device at a discounted price:

Upgrade Fee
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just read it. That makes no sense, they give you a discount on a new phone but turn around and charge you $30 to buy it. Stupid.
    Today is yesterday's pupil ~ Franklin.
    CrackBerry User

So in other words, note the 2-year contract price for the device and add $30 to it. Kind of like the way airlines operate these days... $180 + $30 sounds less than $210.

It's not as if they are losing money. They just are not making enough! The fee is for education/etc. What if you promise never to call them?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,052 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH between your cheek and gum, gives you great tobacco flavor, without lighting up

This is ridiculous.
    CrackBerry Abuser

SMH

There must be psychological reasons why they charge a fee rather than just raise the price of the phone $30.

Maybe they compare themselves to an airline where they charge a fuel surcharge. Basically, Verizon is saying:

"It is not our fault. We have no choice. The price of xxx has increased and we must pass that along to our customers."
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Let's see... For new customers, there is a $30 activation fee; for existing customers, there is a $30 upgrade fee. So why not just raise 2-year contract price of the phones?

It was a pleasant surprise when I recently bought an airline ticket online, and the charge to my credit card was exactly the quoted fare. Airlines are now required to include all required charges, such as "911 security fee" and "fuel surcharge" in the quoted fare. Wouldn't it be nice if phone companies were subject to the same requirement?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,038 Global Posts

This is just another way for verizon to make money. All the other carriers have done this for years so why all of a sudden? I have been with verizon for over 15 years and the last 4 years verizon has been going down hill from customer service to coverage. This is just another big company ripping off America!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

I disagree with the extra fee, but at the same time we all want better phones, better coverage, faster service, better reps. I may be wrong but I'm sure that costs money. If all we wanted was just basic phones and regular service we would have prepaid plans or go with carriers like Cricket or Boost. We want premium devices and service but don't want to pay for it? I'm not sure if that makes sense. But then again, they say it's for mobile workshops and advise from experts, which I never use, so I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it.
    Last edited by supermario28; 04-13-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

I wish rather than putting it as a "extra fee", they would just price the device higher. It's the same end result for the carrier.

It's like the airlines that advertise a $300 fare and then tack on another $100 with random fees.

Or car dealers that do the same thing.

Just be honest and give me the bottom line to start with. Don't advertise a low-ball price and then jack up the final price by adding on the fee.

If they need to charge more for the devices, then just do so upfront.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    PIN
    eapple is delicious.

Other carriers have upgrade fees as well. And we do not charge the upgrade fee in store, it is applied to your next months bill.

Sent from space using Tapatalk
    The energy of the mind is the essence of life.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    I wish rather than putting it as a "extra fee", they would just price the device higher. It's the same end result for the carrier.
    For the iPhone, they are either contractually locked by Apple to a specified retail price, or they feel that they cannot quote a price higher than the competition. So they keep the quoted price the same and tack on mandatory fees.

The airlines have been called on this: the quoted price must now include all mandatory taxes and fees, such as the 911 security fee, fuel surcharges, airport gate fees, etc. I recently bought airline tickets, and the quoted price was actually the exact amount charged to my credit card.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

What is the upgrade fee for? If you buy a new phone and add it to your line of service?

This is such a bizzarre fee. What happens if you buy the phone on contract price, but tell them not to activate it, then go home and do an ESN swap online?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

You will pay the 30 dollars if you are buying it using your upgrade discount.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

Everytime I have activated a phone I ask them to waive the fee, sometimes they say yes, and when they say no I say thank you and start to walk out and they say 'um, wait a minute . . . =)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    I disagree with the extra fee, but at the same time we all want better phones, better coverage, faster service, better reps. I may be wrong but I'm sure that costs money. If all we wanted was just basic phones and regular service we would have prepaid plans or go with carriers like Cricket or Boost. We want premium devices and service but don't want to pay for it? I'm not sure if that makes sense. But then again, they say it's for mobile workshops and advise from experts, which I never use, so I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it.
    Have you ever tried to get "education" from Verizon? Its great if you have an I phone or droid. But they have no one that can help you out with a BB.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    PIN
    vokestackimbalance was detected

I'm getting really sick of Verizon. They remind me a lot of Apple. The whole, "We offer a great service and we're going to make you pay for it" thing is getting old.
    I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brucep1 View Post
    I'm getting really sick of Verizon. They remind me a lot of Apple. The whole, "We offer a great service and we're going to make you pay for it" thing is getting old.
    Ain't that the truth with anything these days.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    Onna808, brucep1 and ambarmetta like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,978 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

You can always contact Verizon customer care and say you want to upgrade but are concerned about the costs and that added fees like the new upgrade fee make it hard to do so. I bet you can find a rep who will give you a statement credit.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yeah you can get around it if you find a nice phone rep. Good luck if you're doing a store upgrade. I upgraded recently and had to pay up. Bummer.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson