Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New Data Plan with Verizon

I have been a verizon customer for years, have had 5 BB's with them. Currently I am on the family plan with 2 BB's, I know that starting tomorrow they are changing their plans, I am on unlimited plan right now, now being I am in contract and have been for years with both of these phones am I affected or is it just for new customers? What happens when I get my new update in September?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

It's just for new members.
    If you update your device, you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan!

It actually was started today, July 7th 2011.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 07-07-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    Thanked by:
    SB83 (07-07-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I don't know how much data my phones would even need and I don't want to pay $10 for everything I am over. I use FB and BBM all the time, plus my web and apps. I love my unlimited and find it easy knowing what I'm expecting each month when I see my bill.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by californiablackberry View Post
    It's just for new members.
    If you update your device, you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan unless you purchase a 4G device.

It actually was started today, July 7th 2011.
    I was under the impression that regardless of someones current 3G plan, their upgrade to a 4G phone will not affect them at all... the data-plan grandfathered rules will remain the same?

I could be wrong here thou... we need a VZ rep to clear this up...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by House_Ape View Post
    I was under the impression that regardless of someones current 3G plan, their upgrade to a 4G phone will not affect them at all... the data-plan grandfathered rules will remain the same?

I could be wrong here thou... we need a VZ rep to clear this up...
    True, we do need a representative to clear this uo,
    I would think that it would be like that, since you're moving to LTE and they charge more for it now/before tired data went into effect but I could be wrong.
    existing customers may be able to keep their current pricing and data plan when renewing or upgrading as long as they are locked in prior to 7/7.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

3G or 4G does not make a difference in pricing in tier or unlimited. 3g or 4g is just the speed you get your data not the amount of data. So if you switch to a 4g unit "at this time" you are grandfathered in to Unlimited.
    Thanked by:
    californiablackberry (07-07-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimiMack View Post
    3G or 4G does not make a difference in pricing in tier or unlimited. 3g or 4g is just the speed you get your data not the amount of data. So if you switch to a 4g unit "at this time" you are grandfathered in to Unlimited.
    That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

this makes me happy. The new data plan is ridiculous and I would be mad if I got an upgrade and had to sign the new tier data plan... psh.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

What about since we are on a BB plan, unlimited... and if we decide to change phones to a new smartphone like an Android device on the other data plan? Do we still retain the unlimited plan?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pointman View Post
    What about since we are on a BB plan, unlimited... and if we decide to change phones to a new smartphone like an Android device on the other data plan? Do we still retain the unlimited plan?
    Another great question I would like to be answered.
    I change between my Android and Blackberry online a lot.
    Will I still have that option to do it online or must I call in?

I hope someone can clear all of this up.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

You will be able to. What they did now is made one universal Unlimited Smartphone plan. There is no longer a difference between a Blackberry and other devices. So you will be able to switch and still keep the unlimited plan between BB, Android, Palm, Windows, 3G and 4G.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
    CrackBerry Newbie

Here is how it works with Verizon. As long as you stay with a Smartphone that has a data plan you are good to go with the grandfather clause. However, if you have say an old LG envy and want to go to a Smartphone with a data plan you fall under the new rule. All new customers will be under the new limits.

Hopes this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SB83 View Post
    I have been a verizon customer for years, have had 5 BB's with them. Currently I am on the family plan with 2 BB's, I know that starting tomorrow they are changing their plans, I am on unlimited plan right now, now being I am in contract and have been for years with both of these phones am I affected or is it just for new customers? What happens when I get my new update in September?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    You will be able to. What they did now is made one universal Unlimited Smartphone plan. There is no longer a difference between a Blackberry and other devices. So you will be able to switch and still keep the unlimited plan between BB, Android, Palm, Windows, 3G and 4G.
    Outstanding. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

do you have to have a bb data plan to use your bb features

i just upgraded from a bb torch to a htc sensation but wanted to keep my bb but my internet features are no longer working

is this because i upgraded my sim from bb to non bb

can use a non bb sim in a bb phone?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staceyburnley View Post
    do you have to have a bb data plan to use your bb features

i just upgraded from a bb torch to a htc sensation but wanted to keep my bb but my internet features are no longer working

is this because i upgraded my sim from bb to non bb

can use a non bb sim in a bb phone?
    Verizon doesn't even sell the Torch or Sensation, and they don't use SIM cards.
    Verizon is CDMA, carriers that use SIM's are GSM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SB83 View Post
    I don't know how much data my phones would even need and I don't want to pay $10 for everything I am over. I use FB and BBM all the time, plus my web and apps. I love my unlimited and find it easy knowing what I'm expecting each month when I see my bill.
    Verizon has a data calculator on their page. Just for ****s and giggles, I checked to see how much data I'd need and used the calculator. I wound up with needing over 8GB of data a month and I've never gone above 4. It does over estimate.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    PIN
    What pin?

Verizon doesn't even sell the Torch or Sensation, and they don't use SIM cards.
    Verizon is CDMA, carriers that use SIM's are GSM.
    Then explain to me why my BB storm2 has a verizon sim in it (although global), still worked for my buddy to connect to the verizon network with his at&t sim based phone using my sim card?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJGeneral1 View Post
    Then explain to me why my BB storm2 has a verizon sim in it (although global), still worked for my buddy to connect to the verizon network with his at&t sim based phone using my sim card?
    Because some devices ARE equipped SIM cards, for Global use. Verizon sells 8 Global Ready devices.
    You can unlock them and use them on GSM carriers too, that's why.

Most of the phones sold on Verizon/Sprint do not have a SIM card slot.
    The new devices with 4G have LTE cards in them though.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 07-11-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Because some devices ARE equipped SIM cards, for Global use. Verizon sells 8 Global Ready devices.
    You can unlock them and use them on GSM carriers too, that's why.

Most of the phones sold on Verizon/Sprint do not have a SIM card slot.
    The new devices with 4G have LTE cards in them though.
    The SIM in VZW global phones (such as the Storm 2) is for use internationally on GSM systems. If you unlock the phone, then you can insert any SIM, including at&t. The SIM is not used when connecting to CDMA systems, like VZW. You can remove the SIM and the phone will connect to VZW just fine.

As noted, VZW 4G phones DO use SIMs, but they are configured to support only 4G data, not GSM voice.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 07-11-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

i have an unlimited data family plan but moneys tight i think my total is around $160.00 and its to high if i went to the lower plan would i go over?
    I dont have facebook or twitter i email and listen to podcasts, i think the podcast would kill me and i love listening to them , kills time on my long commute to work. Is that how it would be charged i guess by uploading data ?? or just surfing or both/ im not to clear on how it works,hummm but if i uploaded while im connected to wifi i guess id be in the clear wouldnt i??
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,979 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

DLing Podcasts "can" be very data intense. What I do, even though I am unlimited, is set PodTrapper to only DL when charging, which is usually when I am home on my wifi network.

Alternatively, you could use something like iTunes to DL podcasts to your home PC, then manually move them over to your phone.....
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I don't know about everyone else, but I was hoping Verizon would have a cheaper tier as i dont use alot of data. I just check my email, Facebook, Twitter, and maybe play some videos from YouTube. I never go over 500MB of data. I was hoping to get a cheap tier for people who dont use alot of data for between $10 - $15.00. I dont know what I was thinking, it is Verizon. Oh well I guess I will be signing up with Tmobile when I get my Bold 9900!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissElectronics View Post
    I don't know about everyone else, but I was hoping Verizon would have a cheaper tier as i dont use alot of data. I just check my email, Facebook, Twitter, and maybe play some videos from YouTube. I never go over 500MB of data. I was hoping to get a cheap tier for people who dont use alot of data for between $10 - $15.00. I dont know what I was thinking, it is Verizon. Oh well I guess I will be signing up with Tmobile when I get my Bold 9900!!!
    You should've been on Verizon back when they had the 150MB data plan for $15.
    Those were the days.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I thought I had read some where Verizon was going to allow data sharing on family plans as it does with it's minutes. Any one else hear anything on this?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by JimiMack View Post
    I thought I had read some where Verizon was going to allow data sharing on family plans as it does with it's minutes. Any one else hear anything on this?
    That would be a dream come true!

Me and the wife could EASILY share 2GB of data per month!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast