Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default l4G LTE Hot Spot Questions

I am currently using a Verizon 3G phone (Blackberry Torch) and a Verizon 3G USB modem interface to do my tasks. I have the USB interface plugged into a Cradlepoint device providing a WiFi hot spot for my home, i.e. laptop(s) and Blackberry Playbook. When one of these devices fail I will likely have to change to 4G LTE. I will for sure get a 4G LTE phone (hopefully a new Blackberry OS 10 phone if current phone lasts that long). It will have a WiFi hot spot built in as does my current phone but I am not using it-as the WiFi function in my current phone seems a lot slower than using my alternative using the USB and Cradlepoint for WiFi. So the question, will such a 4G LTE phone hot spot provide the same through put using the phone as a dedicated WiFi hot spot for other devices like my laptop(s) and Playbook in my home. Would a dedicated Verizon My Fi 4G LTE hot spot device (about size of a phone) provide higher through put than using WiFi hot spot in a 4G LTE phone? In other words, do I really need a 2nd device like I now have, i.e. the 3G USB modem if I have a 4G LTE phone with WiFi hot spot built in? Betweem phone and USB interface I use about 8 or 9 Gs of data per month.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
    I am currently using a Verizon 3G phone (Blackberry Torch) and a Verizon 3G USB modem interface to do my tasks. I have the USB interface plugged into a Cradlepoint device providing a WiFi hot spot for my home, i.e. laptop(s) and Blackberry Playbook. When one of these devices fail I will likely have to change to 4G LTE. I will for sure get a 4G LTE phone (hopefully a new Blackberry OS 10 phone if current phone lasts that long). It will have a WiFi hot spot built in as does my current phone but I am not using it-as the WiFi function in my current phone seems a lot slower than using my alternative using the USB and Cradlepoint for WiFi. So the question, will such a 4G LTE phone hot spot provide the same through put using the phone as a dedicated WiFi hot spot for other devices like my laptop(s) and Playbook in my home. Would a dedicated Verizon My Fi 4G LTE hot spot device (about size of a phone) provide higher through put than using WiFi hot spot in a 4G LTE phone? In other words, do I really need a 2nd device like I now have, i.e. the 3G USB modem if I have a 4G LTE phone with WiFi hot spot built in? Betweem phone and USB interface I use about 8 or 9 Gs of data per month.
    You don't "need" a second device, but if you use your phone as a hotspot for your other devices full time, then you will burn through its battery quickly. You should test it out when you get the BB10 LTE phone and see how the battery lasts. Personally, I would rather have a dedicated MIFI device for full time use and only use the phone's hotspot function when necessary. That way, your phone's battery is not depleted when you need a phone. ;-)
    CrackBerry User

I agree with speedtrap63. Based on your described volume of usage, it's a better idea to have a dedicated 4G hotspot device than to have your phone pull double duty. Keep in mind that data flow gets disconnected when you receive a incoming call while using the hotspot function on your phone. From a cost standpoint, you're not asked to pay much more for a dedicated hotspot device - if you're on their "share everything plan" in which your devices all share a pool of data, a mifi/usb is only $20 as oppose to $50 on legacy plans.