Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrObvious
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default International calling/data; I am SHOCKED!

I just called VZW for prices for both calling and data usage in Israel (which I will be travelling to next week).

Calls are $1.99/minute and data is $21 PER MEGABYTE!?

Im using a Bold 9650. Is there really no cheaper option?
    They told me there is no cheaper way so theres not much I can do, i'm just in disbelief.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

Of course they aren't gonna tell you. Just call the international department (forget the name) and get your SIM unlocked, or get the free unlock code from the unlock forum from the site offering them, pick up a GSM SIM card in Israel, and you should be good to go. The problem I can think of though is if the PIN will be able to work on a GSM carrier if you add BIS data. You may just have to use regular data and not get your BB data.
    librariegrrl likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

definitely use a prepaid SIM abroad, if you're going to Europe, I can tell you which carriers offer decent prepaid BIS plans..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by MisterObvious View Post
    Of course they aren't gonna tell you. Just call the international department (forget the name) and get your SIM unlocked, or get the free unlock code from the unlock forum from the site offering them, pick up a GSM SIM card in Israel, and you should be good to go. The problem I can think of though is if the PIN will be able to work on a GSM carrier if you add BIS data. You may just have to use regular data and not get your BB data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
    definitely use a prepaid SIM abroad, if you're going to Europe, I can tell you which carriers offer decent prepaid BIS plans..
    Ok, so when you guys say "get a SIM overseas" am I to use this in my existing phone and do I keep my existing phone number?

From what I understand, I can use JUST Wifi for Data and turn off my data services? I will rearely be in a place in Israel where there is no Wifi.

That said, If I can get an affordable alt for both phone and BIS, id do it.

CULEX-that info would be great; thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

double post-disregard
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kwitel View Post
    Ok, so when you guys say "get a SIM overseas" am I to use this in my existing phone and do I keep my existing phone number?

From what I understand, I can use JUST Wifi for Data and turn off my data services? I will rearely be in a place in Israel where there is no Wifi.

That said, If I can get an affordable alt for both phone and BIS, id do it.

CULEX-that info would be great; thanks!
    First your phone has to be gsm and unlocked.

Then you can buy a prepaid voice. They may have a combo prepaid there. By using prepaid you will have a new phone number.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by bold007 View Post
    First your phone has to be gsm and unlocked.

Then you can buy a prepaid voice. They may have a combo prepaid there. By using prepaid you will have a new phone number.
    I have a Verizon Bold 9650. Isnt that CDMA?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts

I have a Verizon Bold 9650. Isnt that CDMA?
    Yes, it is. But your 9650 also has a GSM radio for use outside of North America. It came with a SIM which is probably in the SIM socket right now. Remove it before you travel. Your Bold should work very well with a local SIM when you get to your destination. Your BBM and other data usage will default to WiFi so long as you leave WiFi enabled. You might be able to save some money by buying a prepaid SIM for voice only.

EDIT: You will have to call Big Red to get your phone unlocked if you want to use another SIM. If you have a "mature" account in good standing, they'll give you a code at no charge that you type into the phone. There are several providers in the forums that will generate your code for you at a cost if you don't want to deal with Verizon.
    Last edited by Underway99; 08-14-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10 and Q10, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Underway99 View Post
    Yes, it is. But your 9650 also has a GSM radio for use outside of North America. It came with a SIM which is probably in the SIM socket right now. Remove it before you travel. Your Bold should work very well with a local SIM when you get to your destination. Your BBM and other data usage will default to WiFi so long as you leave WiFi enabled. You might be able to save some money by buying a prepaid SIM for voice only.

EDIT: You will have to call Big Red to get your phone unlocked if you want to use another SIM. If you have a "mature" account in good standing, they'll give you a code at no charge that you type into the phone. There are several providers in the forums that will generate your code for you at a cost if you don't want to deal with Verizon.
    Thank you for that clarification.
    I have been with VZW sine they were Bell Atlantic; hopefully they will give it to me.
    What about BES?
    Should I just try and use Wifi wherever possible or can I get a voice+data plan? I dont mind paying up for it, as long as its cheaper than $20/mb...
    Finally, can I purchase a sim card (voice/data) for use in Israel, in the States (NYC)?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,384 Global Posts

Thank you for that clarification.
    I have been with VZW sine they were Bell Atlantic; hopefully they will give it to me.
    What about BES?
    Should I just try and use Wifi wherever possible or can I get a voice+data plan? I dont mind paying up for it, as long as its cheaper than $20/mb...
    Finally, can I purchase a sim card (voice/data) for use in Israel, in the States (NYC)?

Thanks.
    1. I've never used BES. No help there.
    2. I'm sure that you can get a prepaid SIM for voice and data. I don't know the cost. I would certainly use WiFi when available. If you don't need data when you're out of WiFi range, I'd just go for a voice plan.
    3. Can't tell you for sure about purchasing your SIM before you go. Some countries have pretty strict rules about who can purchase a SIM and where. For example, when I was in Japan last spring, I needed a local (Japanese) address and local sponsor to buy a prepaid SIM. I didn't do it, BTW, because Big Red still had their $65 unlimited data global service. If you're traveling for business, your Israeli host should be able to track down a SIM or at least point you in the right direction. The consulate in New York should also be able to advise you.
    Storm 9530, Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Bold 9930, Samsung Galaxy S3, Z10 and Q10, all on Big Red.
    Nook Color w/CM7.2, iPad2, Nook Color w/CM10.1.3, Dell Venue 8 Pro

Let us know what you wind up doing. I guess this would help plan in advance for reducing costs. I understand that if you go with another sim card for over there, you would have a different phone number and calls to it from the U.S. would be international to your caller.

While I have no overseas travel plans, when I last went to Europe, Verizon still had their unlimited plan for $65/month (prorated, etc) which was terrific for data (calls were still pricy but half price).

Maybe someone could help me with the math. When I was in Europe I used just about 3.1 gigs of data (I rarely use 1/2gig when home and most under a 1/4gig). How much would that cost me under Verizon's current pricing scheme?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

With the highest plan, about $63575.71...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

If you're on a business account, you can still add the $69.99 unlimited international BB plan, I travel fairly often, and I made sure to switch my personal account to a business account. Adding/removing international data is a breeze, they prorate you for your usage, in essence you're paying $2.33 per day, which is quite cheap.

In Israel, as far as I know (last I was there, was in October) VZW roams on Pelephone, which is a CDMA carrier.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Dovy

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    With the highest plan, about $63575.71...

I could have flown around the world a few hundred times for that amount of money.

So, seriously, if I travel to Europe and just use my Verizon sim card over there and find no special deals, my 3 week trips, if repeated, would cost me 60 THOUSAND DOLLARS (I'm rounding down to be generous) for phone/data service?

Perplexed.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

Yeah, it's rather disgusting.