Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    CrackBerry Addict

And it looks like pressures to cut exclusives agreements may really start affecting it all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    wheel

Without iPhone, what does AT&T really have left?

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsX2Dad View Post

Ooh, ooh, ooh, I know, I know!

Carrot Top?

Although does anyone place collect calls on att anymore?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    PIN
    NA

Haha, I totally agree. I don't want any wireless company to go under but I enjoy watching huge corporations like ATT squirm. I don't want the iphone but I hope VZ gets it and steals some of ATT thunder. When big wireless companies get nervous it drives them to do interesting things and maybe lower prices all which is good for the consumer.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Haha, I totally agree. I don't want any wireless company to go under but I enjoy watching huge corporations like ATT squirm. I don't want the iphone but I hope VZ gets it and steals some of ATT thunder. When big wireless companies get nervous it drives them to do interesting things and maybe lower prices all which is good for the consumer.
    what's up, sprint? you hearin' this? get competitive!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

After having at&t in the past, I can honestly say that I would love nothing more than to see at&t go bankrupt and watch their execs lose all of their money. Their corporation is filled with liars and cheats more than any company I've ever done business with and I honestly don't understand how they have hoodwinked so many people for so long into keeping their service.

I am happy to see that Verizon is finally listening to its customers with regards to things like unlocking GPS and enabling WiFi. After acquiring Alltel and consequently becoming the largest carrier in the country, I think they now realize they have at&t on the ropes. at&t has, for years, relied on having the "coolest, newest" phones as its best selling point--well, that, and lying about having the fewest dropped calls and fastest 3G network. But, I digress. I think it is safe to say, however, that once Verizon rolls out LTE (and in doing so eliminates another major complaint--no SIM cards), it could seriously spell the beginning of the end for at&t, a company that has relied on poor business practices for far too long.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I posted the same link in the iphone sub forum here at crackberry but for some reason it hasn't gotten any replies, but has 58 views. hmmmmm.....interesting. I was at least looking for some rebuttals.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dissent27 View Post
    I posted the same link in the iphone sub forum here at crackberry but for some reason it hasn't gotten any replies, but has 58 views. hmmmmm.....interesting. I was at least looking for some rebuttals.
    I'm not sure you would get many rebuttals. I know quite a few iPhone users and they all would tell you how great they think it is but most will rant about AT&T.
    Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?.
    Homer Simpson
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts

AT&T acknowledged that the density of the network was a factor in the power drain on 3G phones, and is in the process of building thousands of new cell sites around the country to buttress its network.
    This doesn't make much sense to me. You can't just up-and-build new towers on a whim, or just install antennas where and when you want.

Though, I like how they creatively worded their lack of capacity as "density"... *L*

Poor AT&T. I've been a customer of theirs in the past. They've made some good decisions, and a lot of bad decisions which I think has left a lot of veteran AT&T employees scratching their head.

I wonder what AT&T (LD; pre-SBC take-over) would have looked like if they hadn't sold their Cable TV operations and kept their PC business.

Could have stayed an LD provider, with last mile access to the home (cable), and a resource to develop what could have evolved into today's net-books. *yikes* Gotta suck to chase the dollar without looking past the nest fiscal year.
    CrackBerry Newbie

AT&T will will be far from bankruptcy if they lose the iPhone exclusivity. Only approximately 6% of their 77 million customers use the iPhone. You may not believe this, but AT&T have great coverage in many places and most of the iPhone users are satisfied with the service. There are some major problem areas like San Francisco and New York, but I really can't speak for those areas. I know here in Louisiana, the gulf coast, and especially Florida AT&T have near perfect service (areas I have experienced first hand). Yes, Verizon is a great company and may have better coverage than AT&T overall but AT&T's network is not as bad some of you make it out to be. I think that they are a great company and will still be running my iPhone on AT&T even after the exclusivity is up. Only because you had bad coverage in your particular area doesn't mean the whole network is crap. Same for me, only because I have great coverage in my areas doesn't mean the entire network is perfect. Its all subjective and dependent on your area. No phone company is perfect.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneftw View Post
    AT&T will will be far from bankruptcy if they lose the iPhone exclusivity. Only approximately 6% of their 77 million customers use the iPhone. You may not believe this, but AT&T have great coverage in many places and most of the iPhone users are satisfied with the service. There are some major problem areas like San Francisco and New York, but I really can't speak for those areas. I know here in Louisiana, the gulf coast, and especially Florida AT&T have near perfect service (areas I have experienced first hand). Yes, Verizon is a great company and may have better coverage than AT&T overall but AT&T's network is not as bad some of you make it out to be. I think that they are a great company and will still be running my iPhone on AT&T even after the exclusivity is up. Only because you had bad coverage in your particular area doesn't mean the whole network is crap. Same for me, only because I have great coverage in my areas doesn't mean the entire network is perfect. Its all subjective and dependent on your area. No phone company is perfect.
    No phone company is perfect but some are most definitely better than others. It's no coincidence that Verizon consistently rates as the best carrier in Consumer Reports national polling and first in J.D. Power & Associates customer satisfaction surveys. These surveys include things like frequency of dropped calls (something at&t lied about until they were sued), call clarity, and customer support. at&t consistently ranks at or near the bottom of these and other publications regarding wireless comparisons. I'm not predicting that at&t will go bankrupt, but I think it's safe to assume their best days are behind them: they haven't been building the towers necessary to improve their dismal voice coverage or started preparing for 4G LTE--something Verizon plans to roll out next year. You could make a serious argument that Sprint's executives have more business savvy than at&t's, and that's saying something.

But don't take my word for it; take a look at the voice and data coverage maps for the two companies and you'll see that Verizon absolutely wallops at&t domestically.

PIN
    wheel

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneftw View Post
    AT&T will will be far from bankruptcy if they lose the iPhone exclusivity. Only approximately 6% of their 77 million customers use the iPhone.
    Doesn't matter. They enjoy a huge halo effect from the iPhone. Many people go in for the iPhone, find it too much, not enough or end up not liking touchscreen.

Its the same reason Chevy builds the Corvette. Without it, Chevy is just another Oldsmobile - and we know what happened to Olds.

Don't get me wrong - while I dislike the iPhone, I think it is better than anything RIM makes. Part of the reason I'd never own one is the network. The other is it is Apple. As I've gotten older, I rebel more & more against controlling manufacturers, like Apple.

Well, I guess RIM is right in there, too.

Now if you'll excuse me, the dryer is about done & we have a hike in the morning.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,783 Global Posts

If you want full coverage go with a satellite phone, otherwise stay with VZW.

I love VZW, maybe going to upgrade to a sat phone in 2 yrs. AT&T will get flushed soon!

CrackBerry Abuser

VZW would be a truly brutal company if they charged rates like sprint and had turn by turn navigation free and nights and weekends start at 7pm! Oh well, I can live with them.
    CrackBerry Abuser

VZW has turn by turn nav!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Guinness sounds good.

I found this post while trying to get a true answer on who has the best network. All the negative points that have been said about AT&T has been expressed before about all of the carriers. I have had personal experience with Sprint, T-mobile and AT&T. AT&T is the best in my area. I have had many VZM customers say their coverage sucks down here. But this is AT&T strong hold, San Antonio only a few hours away and there lies the company who reunited the baby bells a few years back. AT&T is way more than a wireless company. It is going no where, they have the resources to do what they need to do to keep completive. I'll admit AT&T is high as a Giraffe *****, as is VZM. Sprint is reasonable but lacks the network down here. I just wish all carriers would get equally neat phones. No other carrier has something like the iPhone or the Bold. Onyx is going to AT&T also. Give them one thing, they seem to get the neat phones exclusively. Off to check out VZM website and see what neat phones they have.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 07-21-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: language

PIN
    wheel

Quote Originally Posted by bs1two View Post
    VZW has turn by turn nav!
    Not only that, but if VZW charged rates matching Sprint, they'd have to cut corners and, well, be just like Sprint.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    PIN
    NA

Not only that, but if VZW charged rates matching Sprint, they'd have to cut corners and, well, be just like Sprint.

So often people forget that VZ is rolling out there LTE network faster then anyone and that they couldn't do that by giving everyone free tethering, brand new phone cuz "my storm sucks" and general pricing similar to Sprint.
    VZ is pouring that money that we give them right back into the network to provide us with LTE sooner rather then later. People are raving bout sprints prices but some will probably change their tune when they are left in the dust with snail speed wimax roll out.

ATT makes a lot of money to and I don't why they don't have a better network, I read on several forums and there is far more network complaints about ATT then anyone else. Several times lately ATT has been on the trending topics list on twitter, lots of them were because of dropped calls or couldn't connect to data.

CrackBerry Abuser

So often people forget that VZ is rolling out there LTE network faster then anyone and that they couldn't do that by giving everyone free tethering, brand new phone cuz "my storm sucks" and general pricing similar to Sprint.
    VZ is pouring that money that we give them right back into the network to provide us with LTE sooner rather then later. People are raving bout sprints prices but some will probably change their tune when they are left in the dust with snail speed wimax roll out.

ATT makes a lot of money to and I don't why they don't have a better network, I read on several forums and there is far more network complaints about ATT then anyone else. Several times lately ATT has been on the trending topics list on twitter, lots of them were because of dropped calls or couldn't connect to data.

I just find it ironic that the iPhone is available to be negotiated with within the same ballpark time frame VZW is planning to roll out LTE. Coincidence?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    If you want full coverage go with a satellite phone, otherwise stay with VZW.

I love VZW, maybe going to upgrade to a sat phone in 2 yrs. AT&T will get flushed soon!

Full coverage? You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Space
    I gotta tell ya, at this point, the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

everything aside, I'm a long time big red customer and recently I've more then tripled my call ins due to my storm. Don't get me wrong I'm not storm bashing, I LOVE my phone, but at the same time I don't want to be labeled as "that customer" because their product falls short of consumer expectations. I've been treated like a second class customer ever since about my third call in about the storm, they're like yeah we know it has problems we see you've had 4 replacements, you want a tour? then they tell you well, if you get this tour you can't upgrade for two more years! so customer service at big red may rank in the "consumer reports" but my experience has been horrible. If at&t is anything like that I'm in for some trouble because I've decided to take my 3 lines and my 400.00 a month to a company that will not treat me like dirt once I've signed the contract, and in vzws case after i've fullfilled it also! as for sprint, i work for sprint in the escalations department and we do our best to resolve your issues when you call in, but there is so much red tape to keep us from helping a customer that sometimes we can't even help if we want to. I know personally of people at sprint who have had to call in for the same thing several times and people have placed notes on their account not to try to help to automatically transfer to cancel department. To me that says a lot about sprint, which is why I work there and do not have them. I just hope with all this rolling out that hopefully at&t will get nervous so new customers like me will get good treatment out of fear of going out of business on their wireless side.
    i am tech revive designs.....
    Themes In Motion
    Free Wallpapers, Free BerryWeather Icon Sets, Free BattEx Icon Sets! Register for lots of goodies!
    Follow Me On Twitter
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Guinness sounds good.

I would think that AT&T isn't going anywhere. But we also said that about GM. I just wish VZM would get something like the Bold. WiFi and 3G. Also if they get the iPhone I can switch my wife over to them. She just love her iPhone.

Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrph View Post
    I would think that AT&T isn't going anywhere. But we also said that about GM. I just wish VZM would get something like the Bold. WiFi and 3G. Also if they get the iPhone I can switch my wife over to them. She just love her iPhone.

Tour = bold
    Wi-fi = available, RIM doesn't make cdma berries with wi-fi...yet
    Evdo = 3G

PIN
    wheel

People are raving bout sprints prices but some will probably change their tune when they are left in the dust with snail speed wimax roll out.
    A little sidenote on this, too. The WiMAX roadmap is not only on a snail's pace schedule, it is very selective. If you don't live in one of about the 40 largest markets Sprint covers, you will be waiting a very, very long time. This includes travel between these large markets, as well as the outer areas of these markets.

In other words, WiMAX probably won't be playing in Peoria anytime soon - my grandkids will probably be in college first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast