Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    868 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How does upgrade transferring work?

We have 3 phones on our Verizon plan. I can't upgrade my phone until December, but another line has an upgrade available now.

Can't I transfer the available upgrade to my phone number, upgrading my 9650 to a 9930 for the discounted price now, making the other phone not upgradeable until December?

The Verizon rep at the store told me I can't do that unless I want to swap phone numbers, that the phone number is tied to the upgrade availability. That makes no sense to me, as it seems like on the web site I could swap upgrade elegibility around as desired.

We're eventually going to cancel the third phone, so I was wondering if I could transfer the 3rd phone's elegibility to mine, getting a 9930 at the discounted price with it, then once BB10 is out using the 3rd phone's December+ eligibility (which was mine originally) to get the BB10... then cancel the third phone. Confused yet, lol?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Default Re: How does upgrade transferring work?

We have a business account, so I don't know if it is different, but when you start to go through the Upgrade process online, it will tell you whether you are eligible and if not, if you can use a Buddy Upgrade. It will then present me with a list of other lines that are eligible. One thing to note, if you use an upgrade on a line, that extends the length of the contract on the line whose upgrade was used so that might be a problem if you're planning on cancelling it...
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    868 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default How does upgrade transferring work?

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    We have a business account, so I don't know if it is different, but when you start to go through the Upgrade process online, it will tell you whether you are eligible and if not, if you can use a Buddy Upgrade. It will then present me with a list of other lines that are eligible. One thing to note, if you use an upgrade on a line, that extends the length of the contract on the line whose upgrade was used so that might be a problem if you're planning on cancelling it...
    Yup I use a business account at work and that's what I found as well. With our personal account I can apparently rearrange the elegibilities as desired, but I'm afraid to commit to it after the rep insisted I'd have to change phone numbers.
    I'm thinking he was wrong, and maybe time to try another store
    Thanks for mentioning the contract extension, that is a consideration...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

This is well beyond december but I have a answer for you that may be of help next time. An "upgrade" is literally "renew your contract for 2-years and get a phone at the discounted price" If the other phone was eligible for an upgrade, it means that phone has fulfilled the minimum 20 months of service and is now ready for a contract renewal. The sales person is wrong in saying you have to switch numbers. A process of "swapping upgrades" is as simple as renewing that phone number's contract and activating the purchased phone under your number. You're correct in thinking that your phone number's contract is untouched and therefore your Dec upgrade will be there for you to upgrade to BB10. However, as TheScionicMan has mentioned, taking that other phone's upgrade renews that contract so it will cost up to $350 to cancel (the fee deducts by $10 each month). Hope it helps
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

I find I get much better answers and service by calling Customer Service. The store reps seem to be less informed in general.
    White Q10 (First physical keyboard!)
    Beautiful White Z10, 64GB Playbook (2)
    Galaxy Note II