Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,961 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default grandfathered 3G is on the way out!!!

You will go to tiered plans when you upgrade to"4G".
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,322 Global Posts

This is just another blow to Verizon customers with more fees and less service. I have been with them for over 10 years and they are not what they use to be. As soon as my 5 devices are out of contract next year I will go with a different carrier on a unlimited prepaid plan. It seems to be the way to go! I am tried of paying the monthly bill and now they want more money if you upgrade or if you upgrade to a 4G device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Plans aren't 3G/4G specific. I'm waiting to see how they get the people who just buy phones from other sources and activate them that are on grandfathered plans. What's going to be their angle to push them to tiered.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HDtechmachinist View Post
    Plans aren't 3G/4G specific. I'm waiting to see how they get the people who just buy phones from other sources and activate them that are on grandfathered plans. What's going to be their angle to push them to tiered.
    This is my scenario. I have 2 grandfathered, unlimited 3G lines on my account and do not intend on giving them up for any reason.

If I would be guaranteed unlimited 4G - then I would move up to a new device; otherwise, I would not. My 3G 9930/PB combo is serving me nicely.

Aside from VZW - what's the best current Blackberry/carrier option? Thoughts?
    Items for sale..check them out and PM me if interested!

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketp...aybook-734692/
    ambarmetta likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

I have Sprint Simply Everything. Hasn't changed much in years. Only the $10 data hog add on when I renewed recently.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tõnis View Post
    I have Sprint Simply Everything. Hasn't changed much in years. Only the $10 data hog add on when I renewed recently.
    I had Sprint a while back when i had a Nextel i730, haha.

Being that youre also on the East coast as well, how's the service?
    Items for sale..check them out and PM me if interested!

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketp...aybook-734692/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RHP23 View Post
    This is my scenario. I have 2 grandfathered, unlimited 3G lines on my account and do not intend on giving them up for any reason.

If I would be guaranteed unlimited 4G - then I would move up to a new device; otherwise, I would not. My 3G 9930/PB combo is serving me nicely.

Aside from VZW - what's the best current Blackberry/carrier option? Thoughts?
    As much garbage you hear people talk about them, I would have to say sprint. I know multiple people in multiple states that have zero issues with them. I think the 3G/4G thing is throwing people off. VZW will be putting people on tiered regardless of 3G/4G as, before long, there will be no 3G smartphones.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three

I knew this one was comming. As far as how can they do it? Read all that paper work that is part of your contract. They can do it anytime they want. You would however have the option to get out of the contract without penalty. Its the way its going to go. i live in the Phoenix area and have a dumb phone for work on Sprint and the thing bearly works when I am at home on call. The dispatchers know to just call my VZW Berry. It work everywhere!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    PIN
    vokestackimbalance was detected

If I would be guaranteed unlimited 4G - then I would move up to a new device; otherwise, I would not.
    The whole point of this news is that you won't be able to in the coming months.
    I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,537 Global Posts

This isn't a surprise but it still stings. I use 4-5GB of data a month because I use bridge, GPS , Slacker and tether.

I was loving my unlimited plan.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

I had Sprint a while back when i had a Nextel i730, haha.

Being that youre also on the East coast as well, how's the service?
    Other than a couple of dead spots I'm aware of, service is terrific here. I frequent Massachusetts (metropolitan Boston and eastern MA in general) and Rhode Island.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ESN View Post
    This is just another blow to Verizon customers with more fees and less service. I have been with them for over 10 years and they are not what they use to be. As soon as my 5 devices are out of contract next year I will go with a different carrier on a unlimited prepaid plan. It seems to be the way to go! I am tried of paying the monthly bill and now they want more money if you upgrade or if you upgrade to a 4G device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Verizon sounds like a joke to me! And 4G isn't even available yet properly so I don't know why on earth they'd label 9810's as 4G devices when they're clearly 3G!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,561 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MysticMeg View Post
    Verizon sounds like a joke to me! And 4G isn't even available yet properly so I don't know why on earth they'd label 9810's as 4G devices when they're clearly 3G!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Verizon doesn't have the 9810, that would be AT&T and TMobile.

I have Sprint and except for some slowdowns at Dulles Airport where I work in which during my driving time for which I can go to far south as Richmond, Va or far north as Newark, NJ, I really don't have any problems with Sprint. Been with them going on 16 years.
    Just a trucker delivering the goods in which sometimes they are cell phones.
    7cf26b0d
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop...ng-subscribers

Just thought I'd pass it along for those interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

After reading this, I will upgrade before this happens and then buy phones full retail after that. Viva Unlimited!
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
    stackberry369 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,961 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

It is blackmail if you ask me.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,302 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Yeah. From here on anyway I would be either buying phones off contract at retail or picking up lightly used devices. So I do not plan to be signing any contract, ever again.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    Yeah. From here on anyway I would be either buying phones off contract at retail or picking up lightly used devices. So I do not plan to be signing any contract, ever again.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    Will that even work? When Sprint started their premium data $10 charge, it included any activation whether warranty, new phone purchase through Sprint of if you activated an older phone you already had. If I had to guess, it won't matter whether you buy a 4G phone from Verizon or not. You'll still have to move to tiered data, but we'll see. I for one hope that's not the case though. I can't give up my unlimited data. I pay too much as it is let alone paying another $40 or more for data and having to conserve what I use.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSunshine View Post
    Will that even work? When Sprint started their premium data $10 charge, it included any activation whether warranty, new phone purchase through Sprint of if you activated an older phone you already had. If I had to guess, it won't matter whether you buy a 4G phone from Verizon or not. You'll still have to move to tiered data, but we'll see. I for one hope that's not the case though. I can't give up my unlimited data. I pay too much as it is let alone paying another $40 or more for data and having to conserve what I use.
    They stated again, that you will only switch if purchasing a subsidized phone. Full retail or 3rd party purchased phones (ebay, Craigslist) wouldn't count as subsidized.
    Thanked by 2:
    Chrisy (05-18-2012),  Mr.Monty (05-20-2012) 
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    They stated again, that you will only switch if purchasing a subsidized phone. Full retail or 3rd party purchased phones (ebay, Craigslist) wouldn't count as subsidized.
    Score!

10chars
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

So for those of you who do not purchase a full price, unsubsidized device, this is your incentive to do so. Hopefully verizon won't implement this at activation at some point down the road. As is, it's affecting only upgraders. I plan on making my devices last as long as possible and pay full retail as I have been already. It's worth it to me if I can retain my unlimited data. Plus, a bonus of being out of contract I can leave if I choose.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,561 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    So for those of you who do not purchase a full price, unsubsidized device, this is your incentive to do so. Hopefully verizon won't implement this at activation at some point down the road. As is, it's affecting only upgraders. I plan on making my devices last as long as possible and pay full retail as I have been already. It's worth it to me if I can retain my unlimited data. Plus, a bonus of being out of contract I can leave if I choose.
    Problem with that is Verizon is still going to get more money out of your pocket screwing you royally because Verizon marks up there prices on phones you buy outright. For example: Sprints price on the 9930 Bold is $499, Verizons is $599. So you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Just a trucker delivering the goods in which sometimes they are cell phones.
    7cf26b0d
    Thanked by:
    stackberry369 (05-19-2012) 
    Chrisy and stackberry369 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts

Getting my last subsidized phone in a couple of days.
    I have a Razr but am burning the upgrade to get a Razr Maxx because they aren't going to release any new devices before the change.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    Problem with that is Verizon is still going to get more money out of your pocket screwing you royally because Verizon marks up there prices on phones you buy outright. For example: Sprints price on the 9930 Bold is $499, Verizons is $599. So you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Yeah, I hear that. I generally buy 3rd party and if one can wait a bit
    prices do drop. See, options.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

So if I have a 3G phone and plan now, I have to upgrade to a 4G phone AND PLAN to get the benefits? Like I can't put a 4G phone on my 3G plan and expect 4G?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast