CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default The Future of Verizon and RIM

I assume that none of us know for sure, however I am wondering if the future of Verizon carrying is as doom and gloom as some make it out to be. While I don't think there is much question that Verizon is putting their emphasis on Android and iPhone, I am one who beleives that becuase of the business users, Verizon will always carry at least some RIM devices. My concern is how much we will see from RIM.... With GSM being a apparently a bigger market, coupled with past history between Verizon and RIM (Tour and Storm), I fear that we may not see the Storm 3 or something similar to the Torch.

What do you guys think? Are these valid concerns? I really like the Verizon network becasue of all the travel I do, however I am also one who likes the newer devices. I have to stick with Blackberry, as that is all that my employer will currently allow through their servers.

How does the future look between Verizon and RIM??

My BB History: 957 -> 8800 -> Storm 1 -> 9650 -> Storm 2 -> Bold 9930 as of 8/16/2011!
    Wife: Bold 9650

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    PIN
    ASK

I would love an experts opinion also - thanks in advance for responses.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

I seem to be in the minority, but I am still holding out hope that we will see the Storm 3 on the Verizon network. VZW has the best service where I live and all my family members are on VZW so m-2-m is a consideration. That said, I might change carriers if someone else gets the Storm 3/4, assuming there is going to be one.

Bottom line, I will own only a BB. Not interested in any other platform.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by InnerChild View Post
    I seem to be in the minority, but I am still holding out hope that we will see the Storm 3 on the Verizon network. VZW has the best service where I live and all my family members are on VZW so m-2-m is a consideration. That said, I might change carriers if someone else gets the Storm 3/4, assuming there is going to be one.
    I agree with you, InnerChild. I am still really hoping that Verizon will get the Storm 3 or something similar to the Torch. I guess there are indications that this will not be the case, however I am still hoping. As I said in the original post, I am forced to stay with BB devices, and love Verizon's coverage, but fear that we may not see as many RIM devices on Verizon. I'm hoping that someone reading this might have some optimistic info for us!

My BB History: 957 -> 8800 -> Storm 1 -> 9650 -> Storm 2 -> Bold 9930 as of 8/16/2011!

CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

Its dead... VZW is now about fanbois.

They are in the Android and Iphone bus now... BBs will be second tier to them.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

Verizon CEO says that the carrier never had a shot at the original Apple iPhone - Phone Arena

Seidenberg's comments about the iPhone aside, he summarizes right at the end of the article (I also don't buy the GSM comment he made, but whatever) the future of other product lines with VZW.

Everyone can gloom and doom all they want. RIM and the BlackBerry have a massive hold on the market share of business clients. B2B is a cornerstone for both VZW and VZComm. Everyone can chime in about how Android and Apple are making strides in the enterprise segment, but until they can win over the OCD-IT types that like being able to implement hundreds of customizable IT policies on business devices, you won't see any serious in-roads by either Android or Apple iOS. Windows Phone 7 has a serious contender with Dell pushing their play, and the fact that Microsoft also has a huge market share of business applications.

So, without even having to cite Seidenberg's comments in the link, no, VZW would not abandon was is a key product line for the majority of their Major and National accounts, and probably a notable segment of the sub-100 business accounts as well.

Wondering if VZW were to "give-up" on BlackBerry, with which VZW (along with other carriers) serve a huge chunk of Fortune 100 companies is akin to wondering if IBM were to "give-up" on making mainframe computers, a market segment which still generates billions in revenue a year.
    Last edited by Gawain; 01-16-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

But fact is VZW probably dumped HUGE engineering $$$ into the iphone cdma... they truly dont care about BB.

Look at their marketing, its all DROID THIS ANDROID THAT and now ip4...

BB users might as well change to sprint.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

You can kind of see the writing on the wall at this point. I first came over from the dark side (Windows Mobile) in November '09 with the Tour. I saw regular software updates and some new devices in the pipe already. When I got the Bold that all seemed to stop. The fact that we're still waiting for OS6 on the 9650 speaks volumes. Sure I could put OS6 on from another carrier but I shouldn't have to. We should've had OS6 on the Bold months ago. My company has been all Verizon and exclusively RIM for many years. I think even they saw the winds of change coming in that they started supporting Android and we just got an email saying they'll support the iPhone as well. Supporting the iPhone is huge for my company because they won't allow any Apple computers to connect to their servers. RIM put too many resources into the PlayBook and let everything else go to pot. It was a fun ride for me but come Feb 3rd my fiancé and I are ordering iPhone's. Yeah we'll have to pay full price but we have the luxury of not having to worry about that. Then we'll get the LTE iPhone when it comes out probably in time for the holidays ths year. Adios RIM.
    CrackBerry User

RIM and VZW seem to have abandoned BB devices on VZW. That sucks. Droid and iphone are the top dogs. BB is being left for the other companies. BB seems to have as others have said put all their eggs in the playbook basket. Again I really don't care about a tablet. I want a cutting edge BB but I am never gonna see it. Time to shop for a new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32fbc26f

I think you all are pointing fingers at the wrong company. Imo rim just doesn't offer the selection of smartphones for cdma carriers that they offer to gsm carriers. But as far as anyone knows Verizon still has exclusive rights to the storm platform and is still providing rim money for r and d for that platform.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    7A495BBE

RIM abandoned Verizon, not the other way around. Verizon needs to have competitive BB devices to have a hope of selling them at a decent margin vs bargain basement prices. RIM has consistently failed to deliver such a device.
    $
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fubaz View Post
    But fact is VZW probably dumped HUGE engineering $$$ into the iphone cdma... they truly dont care about BB.

Look at their marketing, its all DROID THIS ANDROID THAT and now ip4...

BB users might as well change to sprint.
    The last time VZW dumped serious $$$ into a Blackberry was 11/21/2008. Remember how that turned out?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by lockedtight View Post
    But as far as anyone knows Verizon still has exclusive rights to the storm platform and is still providing rim money for r and d for that platform.
    So, do you guys think we will see the Storm 3 at Verizon??

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    PIN
    UP GIRLS APPLY HERE!

i love my BB, sticking tracball and all, but i don't want to get another BB if the support or technology isn't going to be there. why would i buy a device that's already behind other ones that are available now? what to do, what to do.....
    I AM THE FOURTH BEASTIE BOY!!

i didn't fight to get to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables

*you're the reason why there should be a life-guard in the gene pool*
    ~GO TARHEELS~

thank me for making you laugh or p!ssing you off------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,955 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
    RIM abandoned Verizon, not the other way around. Verizon needs to have competitive BB devices to have a hope of selling them at a decent margin vs bargain basement prices. RIM has consistently failed to deliver such a device.
    It seems like RIM is back in the game. You can bet there will be Storm 3 and probably some other models on Verizon, along with the Playbook.

Since my crystal ball is not working at the moment, we'll have to wait and see how the buying public, as opposed to the whining public, takes to it (them).
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by i7guy View Post
    It seems like RIM is back in the game. You can bet there will be Storm 3 and probably some other models on Verizon, along with the Playbook.

Since my crystal ball is not working at the moment, we'll have to wait and see how the buying public, as opposed to the whining public, takes to it (them).
    I so hope you are correct, i7guy! It would be great to see Verizon have some new/cool BB's again! I am really hoping for the Storm 3 or something similar to the Torch.

Banned

It seems like RIM is back in the game.
    Based on what?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

It could just be a meaningless, throw away comment at the end of an interview, but a few days ago Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg said the following:

"We're going to continue to do a great job on the BlackBerry and a great job on the Droid," the CEO stated.

The article is about iPhone coming to Verizon Scroll down to the last paragraph to see comment.

Verizon CEO says that the carrier....
    Last edited by Coachbulldog; 01-17-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    BB 8330-->BB 9530-->BB 9550-->BB 9650-->Apple iPhone 4S
    CrackBerry Abuser

RIM isn't done yet. There's some stuff coming, it's just a matter of when. I figured OS6 would be here by now, but again the consumer market for Blackberry's has been declining very rapidly (at least on VZW's end). Even the VZW execs make comments about it. But like someone else mentioned, the corporate users will always have a large share of Blackberry and as long as VZW has some current BB's for sale, I don't see the problem. Most corporate accounts aren't waiting around for the next BB to upgrade to. Most accounts still have many users on 8830/8330 phones. They couldn't care less about OS6 or any new phones. The IT guys might, but they're not running the show to get all the new phones. In the end, it's only the consumer BB advocates that are really hurting, and that number again is declining quickly.

The playbook as well as some devices and eventually OS6 are coming, but again, when is now the real question.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    PIN
    UP GIRLS APPLY HERE!

it looks bleak. my local VZW rep told me he only reccomends BB if it's someones first smartphone...
    I AM THE FOURTH BEASTIE BOY!!

i didn't fight to get to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables

*you're the reason why there should be a life-guard in the gene pool*
    ~GO TARHEELS~

thank me for making you laugh or p!ssing you off------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

With any luck they are putting all their R&D into LTE and not releasing any new phone until 4G is rolled out.

I don't plan on getting a new phone until we have 4G LTE in our area, which maybe two years from now. If by that time, they haven't announced an LTE BB, then I will switch over to whatever phone seems the best to me.

I'm guessing that RIM doesn't want to waste time developing any more phones for a soon to be obsolete format.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    7A495BBE

Where's the evidence to back the theories presented here? Guesses?

Well, I'm part of the buying public, and I can tell you unless S3 is QNX based and has current high end/cutting edge specs, I won't be interested at all.
    $
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    4,429 Global Posts
    PIN
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
    Well, I'm part of the buying public, and I can tell you unless S3 is QNX based and has current high end/cutting edge specs, I won't be interested at all.
    And I can tell you I have a lot of friends and family whom if it isn't by Apple and called an iPhone, they won't consider it. Seems to be becoming the general consensus in the UK now... One of my particular tech friends has said Android sucks, BlackBerry is the epitome of sucky phones (and I bet in his eyes even a Nokia 3310 destroys a BlackBerry), and iPhone is the only good phone out there. So many of my friends like that...
    CrackBerry Visitor
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    that's between me and my bank.

it's "grim".