Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thachoc1
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default free 3G Mobile Hotspot?

Was logged into my Family Plan account and was looking around and noticed this:

Wireless Internet Access
    Select any of the following features:
    3G Mobile Hotspot
    Use your Verizon Wireless 3G Smartphone as a modem for your notebook using a USB cable. Get Internet or Intranet on up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices.
    Tell me more
    Free
    Tell me more shows this:
    3G Mobile Hotspot

Take Your Wi-Fi hotspot with you!

3G Mobile Hotspot allows you to share your compatible Smartphone’s 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices, including notebooks, netbooks, MP3 players, cameras, PDAs, portable gaming systems and more.
    Includes 5GB of data access for high-speed wireless Internet access!

Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please contact your account representative or log into your account through Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless, select "add a feature" and add the "3G Mobile Hotspot" feature. When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.

Additional Terms & Conditions apply.
    is this normal? does this actually work with BlackBerries?

It's not something I'd use a lot, so I'm not worried about the limited 5GB free data, but it is something that would come in handy now and then.

thanks!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINCH ME!!! My Z30 and Playbook are so great I must be dreaming!!!!

It will work when you get a newer OS 7.1 device. Previous Blackberry's do not have the hotspot feature. With the update of OS 7 to 7.1, our Blackberry's will have the hotspot feature enabled. Previously this plan would only allow you to use your Blackberry as a modem not a wifi hotspot.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I hope it's free!
    CrackBerry User

The updated OS is free. In the US your carrier will be surcharging the mobile hotspot usage in most cases.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINCH ME!!! My Z30 and Playbook are so great I must be dreaming!!!!

Not a chance this will be free. Bloodsuckers will bleed us for every red cent they possibly can.
    Onna808 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I had a data plan (BroadbandAccess 5GB/month for $30) that I used to tether my BlackBerry. After loading the 7.1 update, I called Verizon to see if the Hotspot would work with this plan to make sure I wouldn't get charged extra before I tried it, and they said yes it would work with my existing plan. So I tried it, and it does indeed work. The data usage shows up under my BroadbandAccess usage in My Verizon, and is much more convenient than having to be attached to a cord. It does eat up battery though, just like it warns you when you turn on the hotspot.

If you don't already have a tethering plan, it's only $20 a month to add 2GB of Hotspot use, I've only used more than 2GB once in the four years I've been tethering with BlackBerries, but I've never used it as a primary internet source, just for my job which has me away from the office most of the time, and I just use it for email and light browsing. Hope that gives you a good idea of the options you have with Verizon.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by atm-berry View Post
    I had a data plan (BroadbandAccess 5GB/month for $30) that I used to tether my BlackBerry. After loading the 7.1 update, I called Verizon to see if the Hotspot would work with this plan to make sure I wouldn't get charged extra before I tried it, and they said yes it would work with my existing plan. So I tried it, and it does indeed work. . .

If you don't already have a tethering plan, it's only $20 a month to add 2GB of Hotspot use, . . .
    I recently spoke with three different VZW reps and got two different stories about this combination of features. Two said what you said above but mentioned that there was an included 2 GB limit with applicable overage penalties and then a third said that using mobile hotspot was charged in addition to the tethering plan. The third also said that if I had a 4G device then it would be in a bundle like you and the other two described.

So, you are saying that if you already have a legacy tethering plan with a 5 GB limit, then you can activate the new 7.1 hotspot feature and use tethering for NO additional charge unless you surpass the 2 GB limit associated with the hot spot feature, right? I sure hope this is the case!
    It's not just good, it's BlackBerry good!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN
    333ACA2C

I upgraded to 7.1 this weekend and clicked on the hotspot feature afterwards...out pops the subscription notice. It's not free....$20 a month for 2GB. Was hoping for a free trial period like they did when the HTC Thunderbolt came out last summer, but then I remembered that this is VZW...LOL ain't gonna be free.
    Last edited by bricenm; 01-18-2012 at 01:05 AM.
    I'm on Twitter too: Follow Me @bricenm
    My FlightMemory stats: http://my.flightmemory.com/bricenm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by bricenm View Post
    I upgraded to 7.1 this weekend and clicked on the hotspot feature afterwards...out pops the subscription notice. It's not free....$20 a month for 2GB. Was hoping for a free trial period like they did when the HTC Thunderbolt came out last summer, but then I remembered that this is VZW...LOL ain't gonna be free.
    Wonderful. Yet another version of the mystery but I believe you. Why can't Verizon create a simple list of features for their support reps to access that clearly explains their features' pricing?
    It's not just good, it's BlackBerry good!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PIN
    28CFEDF7

I decided to activate my hotspot feature, I had 2GB plan for $20 but it fell off when I activated droid 4, I hated it and reactivated BB and rep gave me option to get 5GB plan so I took it, I enabled hotspot and now it works! The 5GB plan is gonna go away so if u don't have it, get it since its a better deal
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redhalo79 View Post
    I decided to activate my hotspot feature, I had 2GB plan for $20 but it fell off when I activated droid 4, I hated it and reactivated BB and rep gave me option to get 5GB plan so I took it, I enabled hotspot and now it works! The 5GB plan is gonna go away so if u don't have it, get it since its a better deal
    How much is the 5GB plan? Thanks!

My BB History: 957 -> 8800 -> Storm 1 -> 9650 -> Storm 2 -> Bold 9930 as of 8/16/2011!
    Wife: Bold 9650