Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by FAW911 View Post
    I don't demand respect. Respect is earned. Does Kevtrigger feel skewed? How does that work when this whole thread is about firefighter discounts and you come on here condemning it when in most places it's already offered? You go ahead and share this with other firefighters. Please do! Although I'm sure you'll "skew" the whole thing being as you like to misquote things like how I called you 'rude'. Typical of a below grade reporter who can't even get facts straight on a simple forum. And taunting is a poor choice as well. The new topic of this thread should read, 'Firefighters are no better than the general public. If we the public don't get discounts, they shouldn't either.' Kevtigger said fair is fair. Ok then, if this is the case then you would have to condemn anyone who makes more money than you. They are no better than you so why should they get paid more. Fair is fair right? Doctors aren't any better than reporters right? Saving a limb or restarting a heart is no more important than writing a column on Jessica Simpson's country music. Fair is fair. Dentists shouldn't make millions of dollars when the industry sells food that rots the teeth of the general public who, by the way, don't make that much in a lifetime. Everyone is the same. Baseball players, electricians, bankers, executives, firefighters, and reporters. No one is special. Right? Everyone has a job and there is nothing special about that job that sets them apart from the next person. Spread the wealth because that's being fair right?

If you're going to make a comment about being fair, include the rest of it because that's what it does include. But there's better word for what you say should be Kevtigger. Communism. Marxism is also a good choice for what you want.
    You still dont get it do you? If you had answered the question like an adult we wouldnt be annoyed with you. You say you dont demand respect and that it is earned. Well how do you expect to earn respect when you attack someone for asking a simple question? Grow up Mr Fireman!!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by leftcoaster View Post
    "" Although I'm sure you'll "skew" the whole thing being as you like to misquote things like how I called you 'rude'. ""

Well, speaking of misquoting, the word is SKEWERED, hon. And I don't write columns on Jessica Simpson. I cover murders, hostage standoffs and other public safety events where I often arrive before aid cars do, but never before law enforcement -- you know, the guys you REALLY want to be. I remember standing behind my deputy friends when a wanted suspect blew his head off. The FF/EMTs were safely staged blocks away, thankfully, so they could airlift him. Alas, it was too late. But I saw it happen. They didn't.

Then I had to get up three hours later and cover a State Supreme Court hearing on land use, explaining the very complex growth management act to my readers. That night I had to cover elections, tracking down candidates for City Council, State Senate, Superior Court Judge, Port Commissioner, School Board, and a diverse range of people whose campaigns spread over the largest range of issues you can imagine. Think you could wrap that gargantuan brain around these things? Do you understand municipal government? Constitutional law? State law as it applies to special education?

Naw, I thought not.

But you go ahead and slam my performance as a journalist, when you know nothing about me, and I'll engage you in your fantasy of being just another chick who bows down before you for being a rough-and-tumble firefighter. Why, you're just a notch down from the celebrated UPS guy.

Now, seriously, I can't think of anyone in the District who's as much of a blowhard as you are. And I'm embarrassed for you in your attempt to look like a tough guy, and shake down mere phone users who legitimately ask you why you're such a freakin' hero that you deserve a few bucks a month off of your phone bill.

Quit while you're only marginally behind, junior.
    Once again, well said.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by FAW911 View Post
    I agree that they should get a discount. I never said the general public should not get a discount. I said we shouldn't be lumped into the general public when you are saying that our job isn't all that different. We are talking on the basis of courtesy. A courtesy you don't seem to care about. Your simple question is not one I can answer because I am not the cell phone company. Take it up with them. I'm not saying we deserve anything at all. It would be nice of them to do it because of what we do, but you don't seem to think that way. Courtesy. Ever been nice to someone because they did something for you and what you did just so happen to help them out?
    Courtesy, really? Wake up man. Is it a courtesy to act like a 12 year old in response to simple questions? I think not. If I was a religious man I would pray for your twisted soul.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by leftcoaster View Post
    "" Although I'm sure you'll "skew" the whole thing being as you like to misquote things like how I called you 'rude'. ""

Well, speaking of misquoting, the word is SKEWERED, hon. And I don't write columns on Jessica Simpson. I cover murders, hostage standoffs and other public safety events where I often arrive before aid cars do, but never before law enforcement -- you know, the guys you REALLY want to be. I remember standing behind my deputy friends when a wanted suspect blew his head off. The FF/EMTs were safely staged blocks away, thankfully, so they could airlift him. Alas, it was too late. But I saw it happen. They didn't.

Then I had to get up three hours later and cover a State Supreme Court hearing on land use, explaining the very complex growth management act to my readers. That night I had to cover elections, tracking down candidates for City Council, State Senate, Superior Court Judge, Port Commissioner, School Board, and a diverse range of people whose campaigns spread over the largest range of issues you can imagine. Think you could wrap that gargantuan brain around these things? Do you understand municipal government? Constitutional law? State law as it applies to special education?

Naw, I thought not.

But you go ahead and slam my performance as a journalist, when you know nothing about me, and I'll engage you in your fantasy of being just another chick who bows down before you for being a rough-and-tumble firefighter. Why, you're just a notch down from the celebrated UPS guy.

Now, seriously, I can't think of anyone in the District who's as much of a blowhard as you are. And I'm embarrassed for you in your attempt to look like a tough guy, and shake down mere phone users who legitimately ask you why you're such a freakin' hero that you deserve a few bucks a month off of your phone bill.

Quit while you're only marginally behind, junior.
    BTW...EMS in NYC goes on 99.99999% of the same calls as PD, sometimes before PD even shows. I can personally remember one time when a local volunteer ambulance service was sent to a stabbing.. PD said the apartment was clear...but alas...the murderer was in a closet about a foot behind one of the EMT's....so take it easy alright....keep marking Job's 90's before you roll 88 and calling 55's because you just don't feel like following those EMT's who might save your life one day with that potentially violent EDP...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Nycxice View Post
    BTW...EMS in NYC goes on 99.99999% of the same calls as PD, sometimes before PD even shows. I can personally remember one time when a local volunteer ambulance service was sent to a stabbing.. PD said the apartment was clear...but alas...the murderer was in a closet about a foot behind one of the EMT's....so take it easy alright....keep marking Job's 90's before you roll 88 and calling 55's because you just don't feel like following those EMT's who might save your life one day with that potentially violent EDP...

If you'd followed the thread, you'd note that I have a lot of respect for your profession. You'd also note that dickwad here was throwing his weight around, kinda like you are, taunting us with demands of respect about "saving (our) life one day." Yeah, well, a LOT of people are in a position to save lives more often than you are, just by virtue of being there.

Your codes aren't very useful for someone who works outside the NYC area, so save the jargon. Safe to say this whole thread would have turned out differently if what's-his-name hadn't waged his campaign of terror against someone who merely asked why a firefighter ought to get a break on his personal cell phone bill. It's pretty ridiculous, if you think about it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Wow, this thread got ugly. I probably shouldn't chime in but I feel compelled to clarify an issue. A little backgorund......I am an officer in and and a 20 year veteran of a fire department in large city. Our job also requires us to respond to medical emergencies of all kinds as EMTs.
    First of all to Leftcoast. You sure have a high opinion of yourself, your profession, and the contribution (arguable) that you make to society. I suspect we'd all get by just fine without the sensationalism, fear mongering, and liberal bias of our dominant media culture. Your attititude and percieved self worth is as bad as that which you criticize.
    Having said that I think the original poster is an embarassment to my profession. In my 20 years I have never asked for a discount...anywhere! There have been kind retailers and restaraunt employees offer discounts to me and I always politely decline. When they insist I thank them profusely and tip well. I also do my best to keep it quiet, and I wouldn't think of getting on an internet forum to ask for it or flaunt the fact that it is at times offered to me by kind and appreciative people. Most of us serve humbly without the expectation of any reward other than the satisfaction of serving others during a time of need. I'm confident that I speak for most if not all of the 1,000 firefighters in my department.
    Personally I wish everone would get off their high horse and that this thread would be deleted.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by aplomb View Post
    First of all to Leftcoast. You sure have a high opinion of yourself, your profession, and the contribution (arguable) that you make to society. I suspect we'd all get by just fine without the sensationalism, fear mongering, and liberal bias of our dominant media culture. Your attititude and percieved self worth is as bad as that which you criticize.
    Well, that's funny. Why, then, is the Fire Chief and Board of Commissioners on the phone with me every time they want good Public Relations fluff, or an article selling their latest levy-lid lift ballot measure? Maybe "society" doesn't feel a direct benefit, but the fire district I cover certainly does.

I also have to laugh at you and everyone else who carries the "liberal bias" torch, without even having read a thing I've covered. Pretty lame. Should I assume you're just like the moron here whom you claim to be "embarrassed by?" Or is it possible that you're falling victim to the stereotype of "liberal reporters" when most of us work for smaller papers and don't even dabble in politics? It's a pretty unattractive thing to cling to, you know. We work our asses off to get accurate information out to readers who would never be able to attend meetings of the City Council, or even the Fire District's Board of Commissioners -- those guys whose decisions impact YOUR JOB. I don't ask for thanks; you don't ask for thanks. Only this FAW guy does.

Quote Originally Posted by aplomb View Post
    Having said that I think the original poster is an embarassment to my profession.
    Then nothing I said applies to you.
    Last edited by leftcoaster; 11-24-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I get paid to do a job. That's all. That's how it should be seen. You are a normal person aside from the fact you carry a maltese badge. Big whoop...

Anyway, I do not have the FDNY discount applied to my account and will not do so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

I can't believe how many posts are on this topic. All the guy did was ask if verizon offers discounts to firefighters. I believe it's a yes or no question.
    You're not cool unless you're Snoopy cool

http://crackberry.com/crack-team
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

In response to the original poster:

Verizon may offer a discount to government employees in general. My mother works for our county school system, and she gets some sort of discount with Verizon because of that.
    CrackBerry User

in TN about all EMS,Fire Rescue Police get up to a 25%
    CrackBerry User

Default firefighter discounts

Go to this site ttp://firefighterdiscounts.com/

There is a discount available
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kevtigger View Post
    Why not give everyone a discount? Why do firemen deserve one when the general public does not ? I think thats just wrong.
    Well I'm a firefighter but I don't get paid for doing it its just a good thing to have something to take a few bucks off of one bill to put to another and I understand here your comming from your regular citizens should be offered it as well but as stated other corporations get it as well such as ameren and etc. I'm just it's a good thing to have but when the cost of living goes higher you gotta bargin for what you can to put that money towards something else everyone does it I just suggest to if you choose to make a comment to explain why before you click post but I love my job and I just figured about this discount thing tonight from one of my brothers
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kevtigger View Post
    Does the big bad fireman feel like a man now? Youre the one that thinks you are owed something for being a fireman, get over yourself. Be a real man and pay your bills with out help.
    I just have one simple non rude question what has given you the knowledge of seeing how you can judge the people of public safety idk if it's just your view of this guy but is that truely how you feel about public safety discounts that they should quote be a real man\women and pay there bills I mean I understand the journalistic side of things I've been doin it for my town for about a year and I do understand a little bit of the stress it takes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle

Quote Originally Posted by Kissfanbilly View Post
    I just have one simple non rude question what has given you the knowledge of seeing how you can judge the people of public safety idk if it's just your view of this guy but is that truely how you feel about public safety discounts that they should quote be a real man\women and pay there bills I mean I understand the journalistic side of things I've been doin it for my town for about a year and I do understand a little bit of the stress it takes
    Kissfanbilly, you do realize the person you responded to posted in this thread back in 2008?... Please don't drag up posts from 4 years ago.
    iPhone 5 32GB / iPad Mini 16GB
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I pay full price and I am a Police Officer. It must be so stressful for firefighters and ems personnel to have to crawl out of bed drive to a location and wait while the Police clear the scene and tells you it is safe to go in. Real Stress there huh? Wish I could sleep in a bed where I work if I got tired but I. Have to stay up tomake sure nothing happens to the fire department who still will not respond for several minutes after we go in and make it safe. I will take that stress anyway. So don't be so cheap.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle

Quote Originally Posted by madman0141 View Post
    I pay full price and I am a Police Officer. It must be so stressful for firefighters and ems personnel to have to crawl out of bed drive to a location and wait while the Police clear the scene and tells you it is safe to go in. Real Stress there huh? Wish I could sleep in a bed where I work if I got tired but I. Have to stay up tomake sure nothing happens to the fire department who still will not respond for several minutes after we go in and make it safe. I will take that stress anyway. So don't be so cheap.
    Are you a little bitter? You roll around with a gun on your hip so sorry you're the one sent in first to clear a scene. Most police officers I know do not work 24 hour shifts, on the other hand most EMS and fire fighters I know do. So again I'm sorry you're complaining that they get to sleep during their shift. You chose the profession you did, if you didn't want to be first in and not sleep during your shift than apparently you should have been a medic or fire fighter, not a cop. I thought we all played on the same side, it's a shame to see a fellow public safety officer acting this way over of all things... a phone discount. If you want to be pissed, be pissed at Verizon! And again thanks to Kissfanbilly for dragging this thread from the dead and stirring this pot, again!
    Last edited by CrackBerryBryan; 06-09-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerryBryan View Post
    Are you a little bitter? You roll around with a gun on your hip so sorry you're the one sent in first to clear a scene. Most police officers I know do not work 24 hour shifts, on the other hand most EMS and fire fighters I know do. So again I'm sorry you're complaining that they get to sleep during their shift. You chose the profession you did, if you didn't want to be first in and not sleep during your shift than apparently you should have been a medic or fire fighter, not a cop. I thought we all played on the same side, it's a shame to see a fellow public safety officer acting this way over of all things... a phone discount. If you want to be pissed, be pissed at Verizon! And again thanks to Kissfanbilly for dragging this thread from the dead and stirring this pot, again!
    And what do you call what your doing? Take your own advice.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,067 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle

Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    And what do you call what your doing? Take your own advice.
    Would seem you are doing it too, wouldn't it? Some people need to be told every once in a while that they are acting like a jackass, maybe I shouldn't be saying anything at all to him but he needs to hear it. Let's be mad because someone gets a discount and someone else doesn't... Grow up.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BryanTheRed View Post
    I know this is an old post but this guys a ******* scumbag. Dude thinks he's a god because he's a police officer and thinks he's better then firefighters and EMT workers. I hope he's eating **** right now. You ain't ****.

From Q10/HTC One aka Batman & Robin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123