Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Crack Blackberry Bold Touch Screen, what to do?

I got my blackberry bold touch 15 days ago as an upgrade and dropped it today cracking the screen. the touchscreen works perfectly and the crack is kinda inside that go through the screen.

they told me i cant return it cause its been past 14 days.

Do you think it would be better to call and warranty it adn if anything is said about the screen just claim that i did not do it? or if i call and explain myself they might send me a refurbished one?

p.s. i called and talked to someone and said my screen was broken but hung up as i said i was not talking about my phone, do you think there are notes in my acount about it?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

You're not going to be able to say you didn't crack the screen, as that is obviously physical damage...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts

Even if you were inside 14 days, you would not be able to return the device with physical damage.

Your warranty is void now. If you were to try to do a warranty claim, they would deny the claim as soon as they saw the device.

If you don't have insurance, then you likely are going to need to look at used devices.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

i mean for me to say that the screen had to have broke during shipping or at the warehouse as for when i sent it, it was nothing
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Man up dude, you broke it. First thing to try would be a screen protector if it is still working. Will keep your finger safe and is a cheap way to keep going. You should also be able to buy a replacement screen, soon, if not now.
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by thuglife2e View Post
    I got my blackberry bold touch 15 days ago as an upgrade and dropped it today cracking the screen. the touchscreen works perfectly and the crack is kinda inside that go through the screen.

they told me i cant return it cause its been past 14 days.
    Even with a cracked screen, they would not take it back. And if you tried to tell them it was cracked in shipment back to them, you are still responsible for shipping it in a way it won't get damaged.

Do you think it would be better to call and warranty it adn if anything is said about the screen just claim that i did not do it? or if i call and explain myself they might send me a refurbished one?
    If you do a warranty replacement, and once they see it is damaged they will charge you full retail for the phone. You can claim all you want you did not know anything about it.

p.s. i called and talked to someone and said my screen was broken but hung up as i said i was not talking about my phone, do you think there are notes in my acount about it?
    So you called Verizon, talking about a screen that was broken and you think they may think it was your flat screen that may have been cracked? What else on earth would you call a cell phone company for and talk to them about a cracked screen, and it not be a cell phone?

You got the phone, I'm assuming you don't have insurance on it, the only other thing you can do is use it as is, or suck it up and buy a new phone at full retail, or maybe a phone off ebay or craigslist.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

I believe you have like a certain amount of time after you have purchased a new device to get warranty on it. I think it's 30 days (or maybe 14 days, I could be wrong...if 14 days, then you're screwed)....Calll and add the warranty to your account now, and then in about a month's time, make a claim that you damage or lost your phone...then you'll just be paying the deductible for a new phone...and I doubt they'll have refurbs by then....but this is a dirty practice...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,421 Global Posts

Back in early 2009 I cracked the screen on my 9530 after owning it for several months. I called CS and asked if there was anything I could do. They suggested taking it to my local corporate store and using the lost and stolen program. I got a new phone at the 2 year upgrade price and sold my broken 9530 on ebay unlocked for $10 less than what the new phone cost me. Not sure if this program is an option anymore or not. Good luck and get a case next time
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

Check on ebay and the internet for companies that offer screen replacement services. If you are using ebay just make sure they are well reviewed. Most phones can have the glass/digitizer replaced for $50 - $100. That is a lot cheaper than getting a new phone or a used phone. I know I had a screen replaced on an old droid incredible and it was $60. They did an excellent job (no dust under the new glass, etc.) and it was completed in less than week door to door. It's worth looking into.
    CrackBerry User

Buy a screen and plug it in. Not too hard, not too expensive.

Quick search on Ebay shows plenty for under $30 shipped with tools needed to open the case and replace it.
    Last edited by Karamba; 09-07-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,469 Global Posts

That sucks but broken screens do not qualify for warranty claims. Do you have insurance?? If not, you will need to buy a new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    That sucks but broken screens do not qualify for warranty claims. Do you have insurance?? If not, you will need to buy a new phone.

Why would a broken screen qualify for a warranty claim? if it had came out of the box broken then I could see it being warranty. The OP stated he has had the phone for 15 days. A cracked screen after 15 days in which he states that he dropped it clearly is not a warranty issue.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,469 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by organized_mayhem View Post
    Why would a broken screen qualify for a warranty claim? if it had came out of the box broken then I could see it being warranty. The OP stated he has had the phone for 15 days. A cracked screen after 15 days in which he states that he dropped it clearly is not a warranty issue.
    Broken screens do not qualify for warranty claims...

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBCE4E

i mean for me to say that the screen had to have broke during shipping or at the warehouse as for when i sent it, it was nothing
    Yeah...NO. If it had been truly cracked in shipping, the box would be severely damaged. Even than, you would have called Verizon IMMEDIATELY to tell them that the phone they just sent was broken. You wouldn't have waited. The phone probably also sustained scratches or dings from the drop...evidence of physical damage. Even if you lied and told Verizon some other bogus reason, as soon as it is opened by the returns department, they would turn around and charge you for sending back a broken screen on the device...FULL RETAIL. If you listen to the disclaimer the reps recite before they finish processing the warranty replacement, they clearly tell you that when the phone is inspected upon return, they will charge you for major physical damage (more than wear and tear).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts

It seems as if the OP was planning to say that it got damaged during the return shipment (as if he would not be responsible for that as well). Regardless, it's fraud and it would not work anyway.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

Some terminology here:

"warranty" refers to manufacturing defects.

"insurance" deals with losses such as theft or damage.

You can get an extended warranty from VZW (extending the one-year manufacturer's warranty), you can get insurance, or you can get both, called Total Equipment Care.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Why don't you just go shoplift a new phone? No different than your fraudulant 'shipping damage' claim.
    Seriously, I'm sure you're a good person once you get past your cheating thoughts, just use it as-is or pay to have it repaired. "Man up" as said previously.