Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. airems's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Can't activate my phone when signing into my Verizon

    account. I sign in, go to activate device, click next twice, then even before I get to the screen where you have to enter the MEID # I get an "activation failed" screen.
    Any ideas? CS is worthless about the problem.
    thanks,
    Jeff
  2. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #2  

    Default

    Has this been happening a lot? Or just today when you tried it? Why can't customer service just activate the phone when you call them?
  3. airems's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default Been happening the last week.

    I can have it activated by calling them, I just like the convience of doing it online. Plus they want you to be on a different phone vs the one that your deactivating....
    Thats all...
  4. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #4  

    Default

    Are you going from a regular phone to a smart phone? Or from BB to another device? Because some times this causes issues with the MEID switch and you have to call in...
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  5. debsbb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    270 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I ran into this w/my last Storm. When I called CS they tried and even they couldn't do it. There was something wrong w/the phone itself. They sent me another and it worked fine.
    Deb ♥ Luv My Storm! ♥ OS v5.0.0.328
  6. Stides's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    If you are activating a blackberry, but you had another smart phone (non-blackberry) or vice versa you definitely need to call customer service. You cannot do it automatically because you will have to change your data plan from a blackberry plan to a smart phone data plan. Even though they are both $30 they are technically different plans. You can take the phone you want to activate and dial *228 from it and select option #1 to try to activate it. It will fail. Then call customer service and put in your phone # at the automatic prompt. You should receive a prompt asking you if you are calling about the phone you just tried to activate and if so would you like to speak to a rep. about that issue. You can then get to a rep. pretty quickly and they will know why you are calling. Certainly a bigger pain then doing it from the phone or online, but it helps streamline your call to customer service. Also, make sure that if you are only using BIS they put you on a $30 unlimited blackberry plan and NOT the $45 corp. plan. I have noticed than if you say nothing they tend to put you on the $45 plan by default. If you don't need it because you are not on a BES then there is absolutely no reason to pay for it.
  7. David526's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I've been having the same problem. I switch out phones every few weeks, and online activation is much easier than having to call in every time. My last call to Verizon (last Sunday), the rep told me that if online does not work, there is still no need to call customer service. He said simply turn off your old phone, and dial *228 from the new phone. Press option "1". It will then ask you to enter the phone number you want to activate the phone with. Then it will ask you to enter your account password. In about 30 seconds, the new phone is activated.
  8. blaisedinsd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stides View Post
    If you are activating a blackberry, but you had another smart phone (non-blackberry) or vice versa you definitely need to call customer service. You cannot do it automatically because you will have to change your data plan from a blackberry plan to a smart phone data plan. Even though they are both $30 they are technically different plans. You can take the phone you want to activate and dial *228 from it and select option #1 to try to activate it. It will fail. Then call customer service and put in your phone # at the automatic prompt. You should receive a prompt asking you if you are calling about the phone you just tried to activate and if so would you like to speak to a rep. about that issue. You can then get to a rep. pretty quickly and they will know why you are calling. Certainly a bigger pain then doing it from the phone or online, but it helps streamline your call to customer service. Also, make sure that if you are only using BIS they put you on a $30 unlimited blackberry plan and NOT the $45 corp. plan. I have noticed than if you say nothing they tend to put you on the $45 plan by default. If you don't need it because you are not on a BES then there is absolutely no reason to pay for it.
    This has been my experience as well.

    The first time the guy told me this was why I couldn't do it straight from the phone, but he said that I could do it online.

    I tried to do it online and it kept messing up to where I couldn't even get to the screen to enter the MEID#. This time I called the girl didn't even know why I couldn't do it without just calling.

    Trying it through the phone first before calling did give me that option and did streamline the operation.

    Some one around here always seems to know more than the actual CSR when I call....I do think VZW has good customer service overall and I do prefer calling then dealing with the people in the stores though.
  9. Hawaiian Laker's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    156 Posts
    PIN
    L4K3R$
    #9  

    Default

    In my experience one thing won't let you activate a phone, trying to do it more then once on the same line in one day, also I'm not sure if you use the meid cuz I used the esn when I did mine.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. jwemt81's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stides View Post
    If you are activating a blackberry, but you had another smart phone (non-blackberry) or vice versa you definitely need to call customer service. You cannot do it automatically because you will have to change your data plan from a blackberry plan to a smart phone data plan. Even though they are both $30 they are technically different plans. You can take the phone you want to activate and dial *228 from it and select option #1 to try to activate it. It will fail. Then call customer service and put in your phone # at the automatic prompt. You should receive a prompt asking you if you are calling about the phone you just tried to activate and if so would you like to speak to a rep. about that issue. You can then get to a rep. pretty quickly and they will know why you are calling. Certainly a bigger pain then doing it from the phone or online, but it helps streamline your call to customer service. Also, make sure that if you are only using BIS they put you on a $30 unlimited blackberry plan and NOT the $45 corp. plan. I have noticed than if you say nothing they tend to put you on the $45 plan by default. If you don't need it because you are not on a BES then there is absolutely no reason to pay for it.
    I'm so glad I found this post! I just bought my husband a Samsung Fascinate, which is an Android smart phone, and he currently has a Blackberry Curve. We tried to activate the new Samsung Fascinate both online and over the phone by dialing *228. It failed both ways and wouldn't activate. We tried several more times, but it just kept failing. It's really late at night and Verizon's customer service is closed right now, so we'll have to call tomorrow to get it activated. When I did try to call around midnight, I got that prompt asking me if I was calling about the phone that I had just tried to activate. Thanks so much for posting this info! You have saved us from going crazy all night trying to figure out why this phone won't activate! We'll be calling in the morning to activate it through customer service!
  11. blaisedinsd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stides View Post
    If you are activating a blackberry, but you had another smart phone (non-blackberry) or vice versa you definitely need to call customer service. You cannot do it automatically because you will have to change your data plan from a blackberry plan to a smart phone data plan. Even though they are both $30 they are technically different plans. You can take the phone you want to activate and dial *228 from it and select option #1 to try to activate it. It will fail. Then call customer service and put in your phone # at the automatic prompt. You should receive a prompt asking you if you are calling about the phone you just tried to activate and if so would you like to speak to a rep. about that issue. You can then get to a rep. pretty quickly and they will know why you are calling. Certainly a bigger pain then doing it from the phone or online, but it helps streamline your call to customer service. Also, make sure that if you are only using BIS they put you on a $30 unlimited blackberry plan and NOT the $45 corp. plan. I have noticed than if you say nothing they tend to put you on the $45 plan by default. If you don't need it because you are not on a BES then there is absolutely no reason to pay for it.
    I just found that Verizon has fixed this issue....when you activate the blackberry now it recognizes the MEID as a blackberry and prompts you on the changes (non-changes) to your billing right on the website.

    Basically now you can switch between smart phones and blackberry using the Verizon website and not have to call them at all.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 01-31-2011 at 11:28 AM.
  12. alupo790's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    if you switch like this from a blackberry to android, do you have to pay an etf when you change the data plan? or no?
  13. Super_Mario's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,742 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,079 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a pin?
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alupo790 View Post
    if you switch like this from a blackberry to android, do you have to pay an etf when you change the data plan? or no?
    NO. The ETF is the fee associated with terminating the contract early. Hence Early Termination Fee. You can change phones all you want.
    My opinon is mine and mine alone. If you don't like it, go to Match.com and find someone who cares.
    Got an Android? Check out www.androidcentral.com
    Shout out to CyberWarrior and his great walls!
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/wall...allpapers.html
  14. blaisedinsd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Man, I was trying to use it and after about 45 minutes the thing crashed and went in to a reboot cycle.

    Loaded a different OS.....the same thing happened after about 30 minutes.

    I have two blackberries and can't get either one to work now.

    Question: my insurance covers my new phone now, not my old blackberry anymore right? Basically they are toast....I got no blackberry at all anymore.
  15. CharlesH's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    517 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supermario28 View Post
    NO. The ETF is the fee associated with terminating the contract early. Hence Early Termination Fee. You can change phones all you want.
    Changing data plans is not subject to ETF. But certain phones require certain data plans. Changing phones may require a change to a data plan applicable to the new phone, but there is no ETF associated with this.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 01-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Posting Permissions