Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can I "try out" a phone with Verizon?

I read an article that Apple may be producing two versions of the iPhone, and of them, one for Verizon Wireless. I currently have a Blackberry Storm 9530 and initially planned on upgrading to the Storm 2. I hate the app memory limits with RIM and am now considering getting an iPhone instead. However, I didn't want to compromise all of the other features of the BB that I love just to have more app flexibility with an iPhone. Can you try out a phone with Verizon? I'd like to see how I like a phone before committing to a 2 year contract.
    Follow me ebonieezer or add me as a friend on Facebook!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Android Andy.

The Storm 2 has less app limits than the iPhone. The iPhone you can only fit up to 160 apps, and one member here has 130+ applications with a little over 30mb available, meaning he could still fit several more java apps, since they're so small.

Also, this VZW iPhone probably won't be out for God knows how long.

Bell HTC Incredible S - Android 2.2
    Bell Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2 Rooted
    Bell HTC Desire Z - Android 2.3.2 - Cyanogen 7 RC1
    Bell HTC HD7 - Windows Phone 7
    Bell LG Optimus Quantum - Windows Phone 7
    Telus Motorola Milestone - G.O.T. Froyo 2.2
    Editor on Gizmo Ninja
    Xbox Live: Glitch ZERO
    Twitter: GlitchZero
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    721 Global Posts
    PIN
    kberry is overrated...

In answering the OP's question.... Yes. They give you a 30 day trial run. But you only get one. You can not try a phone for 30 days and then try another phone for another 30 days. And there's a $30 or $35, not sure which, restocking fee if you return it.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

@GlitchZero really? Do you mean there's a Blackberry user with 130 apps? How?!?!?! I have about 10 apps and I'm always getting a white screen prompting me to delete a third party app because I have low memory app space.

Thanks @skyys
    Follow me ebonieezer or add me as a friend on Facebook!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by msebonie View Post
    @GlitchZero really? Do you mean there's a Blackberry user with 130 apps? How?!?!?! I have about 10 apps and I'm always getting a white screen prompting me to delete a third party app because I have low memory app space.

Thanks @skyys
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchZero View Post
    The Storm 2 has less app limits than the iPhone. The iPhone you can only fit up to 160 apps, and one member here has 130+ applications with a little over 30mb available, meaning he could still fit several more java apps, since they're so small.

Also, this VZW iPhone probably won't be out for God knows how long.
    The 9550, 9630, 9700, 8500's and 8900 all have twice the app memory as a 9530, that's the reason.
    CrackBerry User

Default just got mine

Yeah i have 12 apps my my cruve is running slow
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,150 Global Posts

There is a HUGE difference in app memory between the S1 and S2. Personally, I cannot even fathom having "130 apps" unless, I guess, you're attempting to use your phone instead of a computer (shudder). I have around 10 or 12 apps, plus several themes and I boot up at around 107MB of free app memory.

I understand your desire to "try out" a different device. Keep in mind that there is a significant difference in the iPhone approach vs. the BB one. I am not one of the "iBashers" out there, I think it's a great phone suitable for a lot of people, it's just not my cup of tea (and clearly, AT&T being the biggest issue for me). I think it's a good idea to spend some time with a friend who has an iPhone and play with their device. There are inherent dangers in asking "how do you like it?" because a. many people are clueless (both iPhone and RIM) about specific differences and thus, their response of "I love it" or "I hate it" can be very biased and based on insufficient information or understanding. Spend some time reading professional reviews of the various devices and comparing specifications.
    This is a smart phone, it is JUST a smart phone. If it were meant to be anything more than a smart phone, we would have been issued further instructions on where to go and what to do and computers would have no place in our lives.

::: A man of independent mind, he looks and laughs at all that :::
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Android Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by ridesno159 View Post
    The 9550, 9630, 9700, 8500's and 8900 all have twice the app memory as a 9530, that's the reason.
    Thanks man.

But yes, the 9530 only has 128 of flash memory; the 9550 has 256.

Yes the iPhone does have a lot more application memory, but regardless of size (you can easily fit 160 small iPhone apps on an 8gb iPhone), you still only get 11 application 'pages'. Makes me very glad I bought a Storm2, THEN an iPod Touch, and skipped the iPhone.

Now of course there's very few people that are going to be using 130+ - 160 applications on a regular basis, but it's still good to know what your device is capable of, in the event you are that 1 in a million that actually needs that many applications.

Bell HTC Incredible S - Android 2.2
    Bell Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2 Rooted
    Bell HTC Desire Z - Android 2.3.2 - Cyanogen 7 RC1
    Bell HTC HD7 - Windows Phone 7
    Bell LG Optimus Quantum - Windows Phone 7
    Telus Motorola Milestone - G.O.T. Froyo 2.2
    Editor on Gizmo Ninja
    Xbox Live: Glitch ZERO
    Twitter: GlitchZero
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    PIN
    30EF8552

9630 has 256 megs. At an average od 1mb per app you can fit 100 apps easy but why would you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com