Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry How to work around Outlook and DM deleting older calendar entries

I'm angry at RIM all over again. I went through this same issue when I went from my Moto Q to the Bold when it came out. Never thought I would see it happen again when I went to the Torch last week. Just assumed RIM would have grown up by now, hoping their business would keep up with mine. I DID eventually get the bug worked out last time, now if I can only figure out how I did it...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkkelly View Post
    I'm angry at RIM all over again. I went through this same issue when I went from my Moto Q to the Bold when it came out. Never thought I would see it happen again when I went to the Torch last week. Just assumed RIM would have grown up by now, hoping their business would keep up with mine. I DID eventually get the bug worked out last time, now if I can only figure out how I did it...
    I've been watching this problem for years and have never seen a hint of a solution from anyone. If you have a solution, please post it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Promise. I was able to do it on the Bold, back to my 2003 entire appointment book and still have my Bold on hand just in case...
    ~the only easy day was yesterday
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Jeff, I was able to transfer all my old appts back to '03 this morning, from an early April '11 back up of my Bold to my Torch. MY problem seemed to be in the calendar mapping from Outlook to the Torch. I believe it was the same issue when I went from my Moto Q to the Bold. I think the Q allowed me to map my fields differently and I paid attention to the Outlook cal record count as I went back and forth. It took a day or two to make it work - I don't remember their being a "keep forever" option on the Bold at the time, this was on the earlier BB's, but it offered a number of days before and after, both which I set to 3000 each. This suggestion was offered by some Crackberry user, that's how I came to rely on this forum. In both cases Torch and Bold, I lost all entries on both berries and outlook, but had the backup from the Moto Q (which I NEVER had any issues with!) I believe what I did this morning to get everything back to Outlook from the Torch went something like this:

The Bold was fine, its backup was fine. I always make a second backup and put it in an even safer place. Upgrade, update Torch to current whatever. Make sure you're saving and closing the DT software between the big steps. I went into the safe BOLD backup with my Torch connected, >device>restore, selected the BOLD file I knew had everything in it and imported it into the Torch. Everything came over fine all the way back 03. The problem now was that it the first sync, the Torch wiped out everything in outlook, but was fine itself. I knew THIS error was mine.

In Outlook, make sure in your Folder list view CTL+6 you will have identified the right calendar to map. On the Torch, make sure you have the right calendar profile, go to >options>device>advanced sys set>default svcs>calendar -- your personal one, you may have more than one drop down here choose carefully. save close...In the desktop BB software, (knowing you've done all the available updates first) below apps, go to Organizer, advanced settings>select device app>advanced>map folder> stop, here you'll have outlook folders left, selected folders on the right. highlight the right side selected folder, remove will turn bold and remove that personal folder. you'll get a warning, think about it, then ignore it and remove it anyways. go to the left column outlook folders, remap your personal calendar folder add it to the selected. Click OK. close. make sure its set for BB Calendar to overwrite outlook on desktop, one way. Sync. You should see your calendar record numbers, (mine are about 3200) import. When your done, make sure you go back and reset your sync to work properly after - in device setup>select device app>microsoft outlook>two way>your outlook profile>transfer items withing a range of days, ie: 3000 and so on.

I know this is long and confusing, but having been able to do this twice now, the error is just as much my fault as it is RIM's. I feel like Frodo with Gollum guiding me through Mordor to destroy the Ring. Somewhere along the way, Gollum made a step that I chose not to take and it saved all my old data, allowing me to keep it going forward to the BOLD, then the TORCH. There has to be an easier way - RIM has to make it easier to transfer data. Should I have stayed with the Moto Q line? I do miss the Q's Bubblebreaker game. No, I really do love the more logical ease of use with BB's.
    ~the only easy day was yesterday
    Thanked by:
    jeffh (04-23-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

just a side note, pocket informant works well and does the 2 way sync w/outlook.

There is a downfall, however... all the menu options (onto calendar, add to contacts, etc.) all use the default calendar and contact list. Also, should you decided to use this, you might try closing outlook before syncing. (if i don't, i get an error - since everyone's story is different, i'm not sure if that's the rule or if it's just me).

incidentally, I just saw this at mobihand for free... can't vouch for it, as i've not used it.

Syncamatic Desktop - Outlook sync - Productivity BlackBerry Software
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 04-21-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    “The true victory of Nichiren Buddhism is found in transforming misunderstanding into understanding, conflict into trust, and division into unity through the power of the Mystic Law.” ~ Daisaku Ikeda, SGI-USA President
    Thanked by:
    mkkelly (04-21-2011) 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkkelly View Post
    Jeff, I was able to transfer all my old appts back to '03 this morning, ...
    Thank you for posting an excellent solution for those who still have all their data. I can't test it for myself, because I don't backup my calendar using DM (I'm on BES). I'm going to bookmark your post for future reference, and move it to the How To and FAQ forum, since it's a general solution, not limited to the Torch.
    Thanked by:
    mkkelly (04-25-2011)