Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
Like Tree1Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #201  

Quote Originally Posted by kimly55 View Post
    I am a newbie to the BB, and I've tried slogging through years of bantering, but I haven't been able to find my solution. If I'm several time zones away in Anchorage, and make an appointment with someone on the East coast in the future, my BB shows local time. How do I just keep my BB on Eastern time so I don't tell someone to come 4 hours early for their appointment?
    If you want to keep your BlackBerry on Eastern Time, simply select Eastern Time in the Date / Time Settings. Your clock and calendar will show time and appointments in Eastern time. It's not possible to have your calendar set to a separate time zone than your device clock.
    CrackBerry User

Default Time Zone affecting SMS on Bold 9650 VZW

I have posted elsewhere to no avail and I think I am a victim of the time zone issue. Wonder if anyone has any help.

I have a phone number with an Eastern Time area code.
    I live in Central Time. I do not want to change my number as it has been the same for 10 years.

I am having an issue with my SMS texts. My received texts say "received one minute ago" for an hour and then update. WHen they update, they are always off by one hour. For example:

John texts me at 7:00 PM (central time)
    I respond at 7:01 PM (central time)

My sent time displays correctly.

Until 8:01 (central time) Johns message to me reads "received one minute ago."

After 8:01 (central time) it will read "received 2 minutes ago etc."

Why is there a lag? How do I fix this? I spoke with RIM multiple times and they act like they don't understand.

Thoughts?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by blakeley311 View Post
    I have posted elsewhere to no avail and I think I am a victim of the time zone issue. Wonder if anyone has any help.

I have a phone number with an Eastern Time area code.
    I live in Central Time. I do not want to change my number as it has been the same for 10 years.

I am having an issue with my SMS texts. My received texts say "received one minute ago" for an hour and then update. WHen they update, they are always off by one hour. For example:

John texts me at 7:00 PM (central time)
    I respond at 7:01 PM (central time)

My sent time displays correctly.

Until 8:01 (central time) Johns message to me reads "received one minute ago."

After 8:01 (central time) it will read "received 2 minutes ago etc."

Why is there a lag? How do I fix this? I spoke with RIM multiple times and they act like they don't understand.

Thoughts?
    I don't have an answer for you, but have you tried speaking with the tech people at Verizon? I'm wondering if there is something they can do to assist. A while back I had a customer that blasted be for emailing him too late causing him to miss a deadline. By my clock I was at least 50 minutes ahead of the game. We're in different time zones, and my email was timestamped incorrectly, you get the picture....

Anyway, I could swear they told us something on global devices or in OS5+ is supposed to address issues of this nature.....GOOD LUCK!!
    CrackBerry User

I have talked to them numerous times and it is still unresolved. It's almost as if I cannot explain it to them so that they understand me. I concocted this time zone theory and presented it as that; a logical idea but not a certainty.

I am waiting for their returned call right now in fact. I am hopeful that it will be resolved but every time I call it seems to just get passed down the line.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #205  

Do you live close enough to the Eastern / Central time zone boundary that you are possibly hitting a tower in the Eastern time zone?
    Banned

PIN
    che gringo

This is ridiculous. set the time manually and put your appts in with times relevant to the zone you are in when they occur. What's the big effing deal here?
    Last edited by palomartian; 08-16-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #207  

It isn't a big deal anymore. There was a lot of confusion before RIM added the ability to automatically update the time zone when it changes. That confusion led to the creation of this thread, but the original problem has now been solved. People with time zone problems still find this thread and post other time zone related problems, which is perfectly acceptable.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Explanation: BB's Implementation of Time Zones

Not to dredge up and old thread, but it is a big deal, still. My appointments are usually all day events. This means, when I change time zones, the month view may show I am booked for say, October 19, when in fact, the event begins on October 20. This makes it more difficult to quickly see if I am open to be booked for a date. It is a feature that should be allowed to be turned off for those of us who need that. Yes, I can do the math, but a month view should be able to be seen and understood at a glance. I travel worldwide, every week and this is a very annoying feature for a calendar.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #209  

Default Re: Explanation: BB's Implementation of Time Zones

I agree, that is a frustrating consequence of the way the BlackBerry handles all day appointments. It affects birthdays and anniversaries as well. An all day appointment is stored as midnight to midnight. That's what is causing the problem. When you change time zones, the midnight to midnight appointment becomes 11:00 pm to 11:00 pm (or 1:00 am to 1:00 am) and crosses to the previous or next day. There should be a separate flag for all day appointments that keeps them locked to the day they are entered. You could still enter an appointment for midnight to midnight if you wanted it to shift with time zones.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789