Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb Battery Life Tips & Tricks

Battery charge is the lifeblood of your Pearl Flip. I've scoured this and other forums, and consolidated all the tips I could find into this Tips & Tricks thread. Many thanks to the CrackBerry addicts who originally posted each tip.

Battery Care & Feeding
    • A new battery should be charged fully, then depleted to red-line. Repeat for 2-3 cycles to condition the battery.
    • Charge the phone nightly. Frequent top-offs are better for a LiIon battery than deep discharges. Consider a charging pod.
    • Set the clock option for When Charging: Enter Bedside Mode. This dims the outer screen and turns off LED notifications.
    • Once in a great while, red-line the battery. This recalibrates the battery meter.
    • The Options screen has a more accurate reading than the battery meter. Settings->Options->Status.

Hardware Tips
    • Turn off the Wi-Fi (8220) and/or Bluetooth radios when you aren't using them. Go to Manage Connections.
      [Edit 2011.04.20: Use SmartWiFi to automatically turn Wi-Fi on/off based on cell tower.]
    • Turn off the GPS (8230) radio when you aren't using it. Settings->Options->Advanced Options->GPS->GPS Services: Location OFF.
    • Use a BlackBerry-branded Flip holster, which has a magnet to trip the in-holster sensor and put the phone in standby mode.
    • Use a USB cable for modem tethering instead of a Bluetooth connection. Bluetooth tethering uses a lot of power.

Configuration Tips
    • Use UMA (8220) in weak signal areas if possible. Maintaining cell service in a dead zone obviously draws a lot of power.
    • Turn off network coverage indicator (green LED). Settings->Options->Screen/Keyboard->LED Coverage Indicator.
    • Turn off Bluetooth connection indicator (blue LED). Settings->Options->Bluetooth, click Menu key, choose Options->LED Connection Indicator.
    • Set screen brightness as low as tolerable. Settings->Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Brightness.
    • Set backlight timeout as low as tolerable. Settings->Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Timeout.
    • Set backlight auto-dim to On. Settings->Options->Screen/Keyboard->Automatically Dim Backlight.
    • Set profiles to use Tone instead of Vibrate or Vibrate+Tone.

Application Tips
    • Update your BlackBerry to the latest firmware. Newer firmware often incorporates battery-saving tweaks.
    • Always exit applications using Menu->Exit or Menu->Close. Forgotten applications running in the background will leech your battery. While holding down the Alt key, press Escape then scroll left/right to see the running applications.
    • BerryWeather: set updates as infrequent as tolerable. Menu->Settings, "Auto Update" and "Advisory Auto Update".
    • E*Trade Mobile Pro: disable streaming quotes
    • Slacker: cache stations on your microSD card instead of streaming them OTA.
    • WeatherBug: set updates as infrequent as tolerable. Settings->Options->WeatherBug Settings, Menu->Advanced Settings.

I'll track this thread and update the list accordingly.
    Last edited by hubermania; 04-20-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added SmartWiFi mention
    Thanked by 9:
    bagsabhi (07-22-2011),  blue81to (06-30-2011),  Bruine Suikerbolletje (07-23-2011),  Garvin6600 (07-06-2012),  Morty2264 (02-29-2012),  pkcable (07-01-2011),  Smith1955 (03-12-2012),  thequiche (08-30-2012),  triplealiali (03-07-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great post.Most kind of go without saying however there are quite a few handy little tips.Thanks
    CrackBerry User

awesome post. i'm from chicago too lol.

i have a couple of questions though.

gps radio - what exactly is this used for? is it the thing that turns on when BBmaps or googlemaps is triangulating your location? does it have anything to do with radio at all?

slacker - are you able*** to get slacker working over an EDGE connection? i can get it to work over wifi but never EDGE. it just keeps saying "buffering"

thanks again for the great post. it should be stickied.
    Last edited by bozeefus; 04-19-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by bozeefus View Post
    gps radio - what exactly is this used for? is it the thing that turns on when BBmaps or googlemaps is triangulating your location? does it have anything to do with radio at all?

slacker - are you available to get slacker working over an EDGE connection? i can get it to work over wifi but never EDGE. it just keeps saying "buffering"
    8230 has a GPS in place of Wi-Fi. As best I could tell from the 8230 user guide, the above is how to switch it off.

I haven't tried Slacker over EDGE. Dead zones and slow buffering over EDGE strengthen the case for caching stations.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Bump. Added Firmware and UMA tips based on .267 tweaks and stuff I picked up in the Storm forum.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the great tips.

Question - when I do Alt Escape (the button under end call/power) I see the running applications. Even when I go to the application, menu, close it still appears in the list when I alt-escape again. This is especially the case with Blackberry Messenger, Blackberry Browser and Mail. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    PeleSheli
    Blackberry Curve 8520
    (Former Bbrry Flip 8220, Treo 755p and Axim x5 user.)
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by PeleSheli View Post
    Question - when I do Alt Escape (the button under end call/power) I see the running applications. Even when I go to the application, menu, close it still appears in the list when I alt-escape again.
    You will always see five "running" applications even after you close them: Home, Browser, Phone, Messages, and BB Messenger. I often switch to the browser just to make sure it comes up on the home page, not running a YouTube of "Gone With the Wind" or something.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks - that makes sense.
    PeleSheli
    Blackberry Curve 8520
    (Former Bbrry Flip 8220, Treo 755p and Axim x5 user.)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    257A7BAC

Great Post ! keep it ip!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Great Tips. I'm wondering what the GPS radio is for, since the Flip doesn't have GPS function.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
    Great Tips. I'm wondering what the GPS radio is for, since the Flip doesn't have GPS function.
    8230 has GPS, 8220 does not. I put the model number in the corresponding tips.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by bozeefus View Post

slacker - are you able*** to get slacker working over an EDGE connection? i can get it to work over wifi but never EDGE. it just keeps saying "buffering"

thanks again for the great post. it should be stickied.
    I am able to use slacker while just on the EDGE connection. For me it works as well as using wifi....everywhere I have tested works great for me.

Does anyone know if using slacker automatically caches the station to your SD card or is there a setting somewhere for that? I looked but couldn't find anything in the menu settings.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by vdubguy2k View Post
    I am able to use slacker while just on the EDGE connection. For me it works as well as using wifi....everywhere I have tested works great for me.

Does anyone know if using slacker automatically caches the station to your SD card or is there a setting somewhere for that? I looked but couldn't find anything in the menu settings.
    I haven't used Slacker for a while, but I believe there is an option to cache a station if you want. I don't think it does it automatically for you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

No, Slacker does not do it automatically for you. You highlight the station then select it to cache the station. Once you connect your Flip to your computer via USB, a pop up will come up telling you to sync your Slacker Stations. It will take a time depending on the number of new stations to cache and to refresh the old ones.
    ~I am still at a lost who I really am but by going deep into the jungles I can unlock my secret past.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by maxknux View Post
    No, Slacker does not do it automatically for you. You highlight the station then select it to cache the station. Once you connect your Flip to your computer via USB, a pop up will come up telling you to sync your Slacker Stations. It will take a time depending on the number of new stations to cache and to refresh the old ones.

Cool thanks for that answer......got it to work perfect for me! I have to say I love this feature now that i now how to use it...time for a bigger SD card hahaha
    CrackBerry User

[QUOTE=hubermania;2326805]Battery charge is the lifeblood of your Pearl Flip. I've scoured this and other forums, and consolidated all the tips I could find into this Tips & Tricks thread. Many thanks to the CrackBerry addicts who originally posted each tip.

Battery Care & Feeding
    [LIST][*]A new battery should be charged fully, then depleted to red-line. Repeat for 2-3 cycles to condition the battery.[*]Charge the phone nightly. Frequent top-offs are better for a LiIon battery than deep discharges. Consider a charging pod.

I thought that lithium batteries could not be "conditioned", that is, they are not like the old ni-cad batteries and there is no "learning" that takes place-so you gain nothing by fully discharging and charging.....
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by bajanjack View Post
    I thought that lithium batteries could not be "conditioned", that is, they are not like the old ni-cad batteries and there is no "learning" that takes place-so you gain nothing by fully discharging and charging.....
    Consistently draining a Lithium battery will shorten its life. My 1 year old Lithium laptop battery now lasts just 15 minutes on a full charge. My laptop drained it dry every night after work by not switching to Hibernate after 15 minutes on Standby like it was supposed to.

AFAIK there is a break-in period for any rechargeable battery. Lithium batteries develop a longer running time after the first few charge cycles, particularly if they are charged fully before the first use.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

I updated the original post with settings for E*Trade Mobile Pro, namely disablement of streaming quotes.
  19. WDH
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I've noticed when I have WiFi enabled I have like no battery left at the end of the day. When WiFi is turned off I have an almost fully charged battery after a full days use.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna try some of them. Lately I have only been getting 1 day per charge
    Alltel Blackberry 8230 Pearl Flip v4.6.1.284
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    PIN
    ME TO THE BED

Default really helpful!!

this forum was really helpful expecially since i've be getting the pearl flip for the first time later on today! i'm so excited i can't wait to start playing around with it!!!
    Tweet me =]: http://twitter.com/uniquemamii88

I love to chat and have a good time like all the rest,
    but remember keep it on the FRIEND level i'm happilly MARRIED!!

Currently loving my PEARL 8100
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talking thanks! this is exactly what i was looking for

On my last BB, i had some battery issues, so i am trying to do it right on my new one, this is exactly the info I was looking for. THANKS!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

One tip is to not use WiFi while listening to iHeartradio. Killed mine in about an hour. lol.
    CrackBerry User

thanks for the great info!!! i kno i use my pearl non stop everyday with bluetooth andi have to charge it every other day! cause its dead!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks they were really Usful
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast