Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default OS 7 Theme Tutorial

How to enable OS7 9900 themes.
    please note you may wish to make a backup copy (and i reccomend you do) of your original files before copying over theme with the files inlcluded in this tutorial.

For the purose of this tutorial, the filesyetem on Windows 7 is used.

Step 1.

on your PC navigate to c:\program Files (x86)\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Theme Studio 6.0\resources\devices. (note if opn a 32 bit PC will be just C:\program files)

step 2.

copy the device_profiles.properties file included in this download and overwrite the existing one.

step 3.

open the blackberry folder, and copy the BB9900.properties file into that directory.

step 4.

open the images folder and copy the BB9900_thumbnail.png file into that directory.

step 5.

navigate back to the resources folder, and go into the theme folder, then the BlackBerry6_480x360 folder.

step 6.

copy the 9900BlackBerry6.Properties file into this folder.

step 7.

for the rest of the process you`ll need to be able to see hidden folders on your PC. To enable this, from any folder go into Tools> Folder Options (note some PC`s hide the nav bar, pressing the alt key will show this).
    now in the folder options window select the `view` tab. you should see `files and folders` list, and inside that list there is a `hidden files and folders` list. ensure `show hidden files` is selected, click apply and then close the folder options window.

step 8.

navigate to c:\Users\yourusername\Appdata\Local here you should see a folder called Temp. to capture the build files from Theme Studio as it exports your theme, you need to stop the Temp folder from deleting its files when your theme has been compiled.
    to do this, right click on the Temp folder, and select `properties`. now you should have a Temp Properties window open, select the Security tab. click the `advanced` button at the bottom right, then in the next window click the `change permissions` button, now select your username from the list, and click `edit`.
    now a window called `permission entry for temp` should open, scroll down and check the `delete subfolders and files` and `delete` boxes and hit ok, then hit apply, and continue through any prompts.
    there is no reason to close the `advanced security settings for temp` window, so leave it open as once youve exported your theme we want to go back and revert the temp folder to how it was.

step 9.

Open ThemeBuilder, and export the default theme, for the purpose of this write up i`ll export as a desktop install.

step 10.

go back into your temp folder, and organize by date with the newest at the top. you should see a properties file, named something like pz_chhgF.properties, copy this file to a new folder, lets say c:\themes\demo then go back into the temp folder, scroll down to the folders, and you should see some folders that match the start name of the properties file.
    go into the folder, and if you have the correct one, you should have multiple files in there, such as homescreen-banner.pme and a matching svg, and several others, grab all of the contents of this folder and copy to your demo folder.

step 11.

go back into the temp folder, and back out to the local folder so that you can right click the temp folder as per step 8, and once again select properties, this should put you back into the adnvanced security setting panel as we didnt close it in step 8, now you should see an extra line in the permissions with `type` being deny, select this line, hit `remove` then hit apply.
    youve now reverted the folder back to how it was before step 8. close all the properties windows that are open, and then go to you demo folder.

step 12.

first thing to do is grab your properties file, and rename it to build.properties, the edit the properties file, the two lines you need to edit are:
    ThemeBundler.contentDir=C:\\Users\\yourusername\\A ppData\\Local\\Temp\\pz_gOsDU\\
    ThemeBundler.outFileDir=C:\\where inital export went

the first line is where the files you grabbed sit, and the second line is where you wish to export to, note you need to \\ for subdirectories, one \ wont work on its own. your file for this example would look like
    ThemeBundler.contentDir=C:\\themes\\demo
    ThemeBundler.outFileDir=C:\\themes\\export

step 13.

edit the svg files in your demo folder, you`ll find 9900 based SVG`s included in this tutorial pack which you can copy into place, but of course you may wish to alter this.

when all your SVG`s are done, copy the build.bat file from this tutorial into the demo folder, open the build.bat file in a text editor and ensure it points to the correct loaction of you themesbuilder\bin folder.

step 14.

press the start key and type CMD, then hit enter, this should give you a DOS window, navigate to the c:\themes\demo folder, and run the build.bat file, this will now create the cod file for your theme to the location you assigned in step 12.

with the cod and alx files now built, you can load it into a sim, or use an app such as BBSAK/desktop manager to sideload onto your device to test and refine your theme (if loading to a device, BBSAK is the fastest way).

Credits:
    Crackberry forums members: Russnash, Molson0, Deficitism, lucky45, and many others that have contributed on threads mentioned in the FAQ section.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 05-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    Thanked by 21:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    AbuYazeedUK (12-10-2011),  bbm4sa (05-22-2012),  berryglowdesigns (07-25-2012),  ck23.bb (12-26-2012),  danielkaboom (08-19-2012),  Freed85 (12-30-2012),  gvs1341 (06-13-2012),  henryg23 (02-14-2012),  HtitoH (01-13-2013),  ikhsannst (09-12-2012),  jfd-media (02-09-2012),  TomCanuck (12-06-2011),  jxlangtucr (10-22-2012),  MisterSpeedo (01-26-2012),  papaghanda (02-14-2012),  phasmida (05-14-2012),  ppdragon (09-11-2012),  silverstone1903 (01-28-2012),  tutibreaker (08-11-2012),  Viktor_Volkov (09-19-2012),  wipranj (06-10-2012) 

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

9900 OS7 themes FAQ.

Q: What if i want to export as a set of cods and a .jad file for OTA install?
    A: in the build.properties file, line 7 relates to desktop exports, line 8 for zip file exports (appworld export) and line 9 relates to jad export.
    for OTA export you would set the Alx as false, and the Jad as true. then run the build.bat file as per normal.

Q: I want to add my own graphics/icons to the theme, how do i do that?
    A: to do this, simply add them in themebuilder prior to export, when exported simply use the correct sized items, jus remember to keep the file names the same so they load into the theme.

Q: do i need to manually edit the svg each time?
    A: no. once youve made your `templates` (or use the ones provided) you can copy them into place.

note: lockscreen.svg uses mainly the same components as homescreen-banner.svg, so you can copy the code across for items, making editing faster.

Q: whats the best program to edit the svg/bat/properties files?
    A: we use Notepad++ its free and wewould reccomend it every time, but many text editors will do the job

Q: do i need to do anything with the .pme files?
    A: no, you dont need to edit those

Q: i want to change the theme name, whats the best way to do this?
    A: re-export from themebuilder with the right name, its the only headache free way. you can still use the images and svg if youve already edited them but the non pme/svg/image files need to be with the new name.

Q: i want to do this for a different OS7 device, what do i need to do?
    A: personally i have only done the 9900, but there is now a great deal of information in this thread for other devices, thanks to the efforts of great forums members such as molson0

Q: iv got all this sorted, but i still have some issue/questions, wheres best to go?
    A: the theme dev forum on crackberry.com has so many great members, so id reccomend there.

helpful links:
    Notepad++ download page ---- http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v5.9.6.2.html
    More on SVg editing and SVG objects ---- http://forums.crackberry.com/theme-d...ed-svg-451094/
    More on temp directory persmissons ---- http://forums.crackberry.com/theme-d...-theme-446803/
    More info on manually compiling your theme ---- http://forums.crackberry.com/theme-d...s-hand-606922/
    Last edited by BBThemes; 12-09-2011 at 07:22 PM.

My Platinum 9900

Thanked by 4:
    Djtish (02-14-2013),  durst167 (10-03-2012),  DYLANHABKIRK (01-14-2014),  papaghanda (02-14-2012) 
    DYLANHABKIRK and papaghanda like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

Nice work.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by molson0 View Post
    Nice work.
    im just making it all `fit` the 9900, then i`ll share with the world, plus i`ll share the `fitted` files too and one or two `gotchas` iv found along the way.

My Platinum 9900

Thanked by:
    papaghanda (02-14-2012) 
    papaghanda likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,851 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    im just making it all `fit` the 9900, then i`ll share with the world, plus i`ll share the `fitted` files too and one or two `gotchas` iv found along the way.
    Please don't forget the 9810!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

Well, It seems it took me a couple of minutes to figure this out too..

Thanks for the push.

Guess I will be makig use of this as well soon.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Well, It seems it took me a couple of minutes to figure this out too..

Thanks for the push.
    lol, you go into it thinkin thats the hard part.....its not lol.

also fyi for composer you can just adjust canvas size, device info from composer doesnt matter. does look cool tho lol, i didnt change any images lol

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

I totally did[ B] not [/B] mean to sound condesending withthe "couple of minutes" comment. I appoligise.

I know you put alot of work into this.

I do understand how to change the other parts as well...
    ( the exporting part)_

I will have an 9810 theme done by this evening.

Thanks again for the BIG push....

Last edited by molson0; 12-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Thanked by:
    tsells (12-05-2011) 

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by tellsells View Post
    Please don't forget the 9810!
    i can `do` the 9810 for sure, but i only have a 9900 right now, and iv gone thru about 30 diff builds today testing stuff so in time maybe lol, and no, i dont trust sims lol.

My Platinum 9900

Thanked by:
    tsells (12-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post

Thanks dude.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

I totally did[ B] not [/B] mean to sound condesending withthe "couple of minutes" comment. I appoligise.

I know you put alot of work into this.

I do understand how to change the other parts as well...
    ( the exporting part)_

I will have an 9810 theme done by this evening.

Thanks again for the BIG push....

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    haha wasnt taken like that at all mate, but you have to adjust the svg`s to `fit` the screensize. thats what takes forever and many many `trial and error` attempts, even tho i laid it all out in fireworks as a template first lol.
    theres 3 svg`s as standard, lock, home and app banner, then of course if you theme the call screens etc then they will need sorting too. i have the first 3 done, as i did a blank export, now to get on with the rest haha. how this is gonna take RIM 6 months is beyond me, altho i cant see a way to do the 9850 due to not having an existing screen ratio partner.

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

hehe.

I hate the sim to test with . I am more of a trial & error type anyway.

I really do appreciate the push. I really am glad you figured this out & shared.

Some of the others wouldn't have .

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

hehe.

I hate the sim to test with . I am more of a trial & error type anyway.

I really do appreciate the push. I really am glad you figured this out & shared.

Some of the others wouldn't have .
    thanks, as i said, i can only do the 9900 with confidence it`ll look how i want it to, so sharing seems the easiest way that all devices can get themed. personally i hate putting out themes i havent tested myself, hence i have every OS6 and OS5 device, but i held off on the OS7 devices as RIM said 6 months lol, maybe not so long now for us at least

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

These are partial svg files from an export. I have tried to changed them to what would be required for 9810.

I assume there is more, but I will fin out as I go...(as I am sure you have been doing)

Homescreen 9810

Code:
    <svg width="100%"
          height="100%"
          hotspot-wrap="false"
          xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
          xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
          xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg http://www.plazmic.com/svg/schema/svg.xsd"
          xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <rect x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="640"
            fill="none"/>
      <switch>
        <foreignObject x="0"
              y="0"
              width="0"
              height="0"
              xlink:href="dummy"
              requiredExtensions="x-object:/SkinManager"
              display="none">
          CDK
    hs_profile_p=net.rim.ProfileHomeScreenApp;

</foreignObject>
      </switch>
      <image x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="640"
            xlink:href="x-object:/Image?src=wallpaper&amp;width=480&amp;height=640"/>

Banner9810

Code:
    <svg width="100%"
          height="21"
          hotspot-wrap="false"
          xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg http://www.plazmic.com/svg/schema/svg.xsd"
      <rect id="bgRect"
            x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="21"
            fill="none"/>
      <set xlink:href="#bgRect"
            attributeName="width"
            to="640"
            begin="custom(oc_to_landscape)"
            end="custom(oc_to_portrait)"/>
      <set xlink:href="#bgRect"
            attributeName="height"
            to="21"
      <image id="wallpaper_p"
            x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="640"
            xlink:href="x-object:/Image?src=wallpaper&amp;width=480&amp;height=640"/>
      <set xlink:href="#wallpaper_p"
            attributeName="display"
            to="none"
      <image id="OwnerInfoBackground-landscape"
            x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="640"
            display="none"
            xlink:href="OwnerInfoBackground-landscape.png"/>
      <set xlink:href="#OwnerInfoBackground-landscape"
            attributeName="display"
            to="inline"
      <image id="banner-app__Landscape"
          x="0"
          y="0"
          width="640"
          height="21"
          display="none"
          xlink:href="banner-app__Landscape.png"/>
    <set
          xlink:href="#banner-app__Landscape"
          attributeName="display"
          to="inline"
    <image
          id="banner-app"
          x="0"
          y="0"
          width="480"
          height="21"
          xlink:href="banner-app.png"/>

ApplicationMenu9810

Code:
    <svg width="100%"
          height="100%"
          hotspot-wrap="false"
      <rect x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="640"
            fill="none"/>
      <switchGroup id="orientations"
            currentChild="portrait">
        <g id="portrait">
          <image id="background-mask_p"
                x="0"
                y="0"
                width="480"
                height="640"
                xlink:href="appicon_background_portrait.png"/>
        </g>
        <g id="landscape">
          <image id="background-mask_l"
                x="0"
                y="0"
                width="640"
                height="480"
                xlink:href="OwnerInfoBackground-landscape.png"/>
        </g>
    Incoming Call SCreen 9810

Code:
    <svg width="480"
          height="640"
          hotspot-wrap="false"
      <rect x="0"
            y="0"
            width="480"
            height="640"
            fill="white"/>
      <g transform="translate(0,-20)">
        <switchGroup id="lineImage"
              currentChild="lineImage_default">
          <g id="lineImage_default">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="480"
                  height="640"
                  xlink:href="IncomingCallBackground.png"/>
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_1">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="480"
                  height="640"
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_2">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="480"
                  height="640"
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_5000">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="480"
                  height="640"
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_13000">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="480"
                  height="640"
          </g>

Incoming Call Screen Landscape

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>

<?plazmic pmeVersion="1.2" pmb="false"?>
    <svg width="640"
          height="480"
          hotspot-wrap="false"
      <rect x="0"
            y="0"
            width="640"
            height="480"
            fill="white"/>
      <g transform="translate(0,-20)">
        <switchGroup id="lineImage"
              currentChild="lineImage_default">
          <g id="lineImage_default">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="640"
                  height="48"
                  xlink:href="IncomingCallBackground-Landscape.png"/>
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_1">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="640"
                  height="480"
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_2">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="640"
                  height="480"
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_5000">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="640"
                  height="480"
          </g>
          <g id="lineImage_13000">
            <image x="0"
                  y="0"
                  width="640"
                  height="480"
          </g>

I got these so far for the 9810.

I havn't began to export anything yet, but assume this is mostly where we need to focus attention...
    Last edited by molson0; 12-06-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    Thanked by:
    jfd-media (02-09-2012) 
    jfd-media and lllabao like this.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

These are partial svg files from an export. I have tried to changed them to what would be required for 9810.

I assume there is more, but I will fin out as I go...(as I am sure you have been doing)

I got these so far for the 9810.

I havn't began to export anything yet, but assume this is mostly where we need to focus attention...
    nice! obv theres going to be more for the 9810 due to rotation, for the 9900 so far iv sorted the 3 main ones needed, and now im on to the activecallscreen and incoming call.

this is where my homescreen banner is at right now

so close to looking stock, just the fonts to play around with.

also to be clear, nobody explained to me how to alter TB to export OS7 (it took me a fair while because i was trying to get `export to device` to work by using the device properties files along with the hardware codes from the desktop manager software lol) and i figured out the using svg to control the stuff after having seen the pic shown above, mainly due to the 2 well helpful threads i linked above.

as i mentioned someone did ask me for help, and the svg idea was what i came up with, then they bolted because i made a theem over 6 months ago lol. thats like what? ten years in tech lol. anyways, thats why iv put it out right now as iv been doing it, so that everyone can see its me doing it for the community, both users and devs. cos we all want themes

My Platinum 9900

warreng and Nonpareil like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

the un-named person in question actually deleted you because of your disrespect towards him and the BlackBerry community as a whole - just saying...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Discontent is the first necessity of progress --Thomas A. Edison
    drkapprentice @drkapprentice Email drkapprentice4help@gmail.com for questions or comments.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by dcburke789 View Post
    the un-named person in question actually deleted you because of your disrespect towards him and the BlackBerry community as a whole - just saying...

actually he freely admitted to me in an email which im happy to forward to anyone that he deleted me becuase i made six dot x. thats a fact.i if making a theme is disrespecting someone then we`ve got problems cos im a theme builder lol.

but thats not the point here is it, the point is getting themes for os7, if people wanna behave like schoolkids then theres places other than cb to be like that.

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    cushion

Whateva.....

Back to the theme.

I think it looks great.

When you say your messing with fonts .

Can we not just change this for the size and such...

Code:
    # version $Revision: #1 $
    # (c) Copyright 2001-2010 Research In Motion Ltd. All rights reserved.

# Device Model properties:
    backgroundImage = images/BB9810_thumbnail.png

# Device Display Model properties:
    screen.location = 45,149
    screen.size = 480,640
    screen.colorProfile = 64K-Color

font.cbtf.scale.factor = 169
    font.sff4.scale.factor = 1.92

font.available.families = BBCapitals, BBCasual, BBClarity, BBCondensed, BBMillbank, BBMillbankTall, BBSansSerif, BBSansSerifSquare, BBSerif, BBSerifFixed, BBAlpha Serif, BBAlpha Sans, BBAlpha Sans Condensed:4.7.1, BBGlobal Sans:5.0, BBGlobal Serif:5.0, Andale Mono:6.0, Arial:6.0, Comic Sans MS:6.0, Courier New:6.0, Georgia:6.0, Impact:6.0, Tahoma:6.0, Times New Roman:6.0, Trebuchet MS:6.0, Verdana:6.0

hardwareID=bla bla

OR , do we have to change each SVG individually ?

I am not just being lasy, I just know you are alot further along than me in testing this.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Whateva.....

Back to the theme.

I think it looks great.

When you say your messing with fonts .

Can we not just change this for the size and such...

Code:
    # version $Revision: #1 $
    # (c) Copyright 2001-2010 Research In Motion Ltd. All rights reserved.

# Device Model properties:
    backgroundImage = images/BB9810_thumbnail.png

# Device Display Model properties:
    screen.location = 45,149
    screen.size = 480,640
    screen.colorProfile = 64K-Color

font.cbtf.scale.factor = 169
    font.sff4.scale.factor = 1.92

font.available.families = BBCapitals, BBCasual, BBClarity, BBCondensed, BBMillbank, BBMillbankTall, BBSansSerif, BBSansSerifSquare, BBSerif, BBSerifFixed, BBAlpha Serif, BBAlpha Sans, BBAlpha Sans Condensed:4.7.1, BBGlobal Sans:5.0, BBGlobal Serif:5.0, Andale Mono:6.0, Arial:6.0, Comic Sans MS:6.0, Courier New:6.0, Georgia:6.0, Impact:6.0, Tahoma:6.0, Times New Roman:6.0, Trebuchet MS:6.0, Verdana:6.0

hardwareID=bla bla

OR , do we have to change each SVG individually ?

I am not just being lasy, I just know you are alot further along than me in testing this.
    haha my point exactly.

iv not tried doing it that way with the fonts, if im honest i did see that but so long ago i forgot lol , i was purely adjusting them inside the svg files, but hey it sounds like it would work

im guessing increasing them by a ratio of 2:3 would work. ignore what i had here before about thirds, that was jus me bein a bit slow lol
    Last edited by BBThemes; 12-05-2011 at 05:05 PM.

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Genius

I agree that themes on OS7 is a big deal. And the work being done in this thread is appreciated...but come on. Give credit where credit is due.

@Lucky_45 @GShaneC and wu-wei built the foundation for what you're doin.

Big props to them.

Discontent is the first necessity of progress --Thomas A. Edison
    drkapprentice @drkapprentice Email drkapprentice4help@gmail.com for questions or comments.
    Thanked by:
    wu-wei (12-09-2011) 
    wu-wei likes this.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by dcburke789 View Post
    I agree that themes on OS7 is a big deal. And the work being done in this thread is appreciated...but come on. Give credit where credit is due.

@Lucky_45 @GShaneC and wu-wei built the foundation for what you're doin.

Big props to them.

see heres the thing, lucky didnt say he`d spoken to anyone, and when i made suggestions such as the svg, i did so of my own thoughts, afterwards (like hours later) i was told of the fact others had suggested this. so i acted on my own svg thoughts, but yes props to anyone who also thought of it. so thats why i didnt say them because i didnt even know!! as for lucky, i credited him on twitter and got abuse for it. so maybe im confused by that, but enough of this, lets stay on topic.

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

awesome share guys! cant wait to get in os7

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

also something very worth noting is the <text> items take their position slightly differently, for example the bb bis logo on the homescreen, where a co-ord normally relates to the top left of an item, because its text its the co-ord of the line the text is written on if that makes sense? so basically bottom left corner of the box area for it is the best i can describe it.

My Platinum 9900

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

need help! when i "custom" compile using russnash described .bat file, just 1 40kb cod file shows up along jad. where am i going wrong?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

damn! how to get 9900 in theme builder??!! i screwed all
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast