CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default T-Mobile 9700 unlocked, no network with TELUS Sim Card

Hello,

I bought a T-Mobile blackberry Bold 9700 Onyx. I succesfully unlocked it with an unlock code provided by unlock2go ( unlock2go com ). Now in the blackberry in advanced options, in SIM card options when i type MEPD i got

SIM: Disabled
    Network: Disabled
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled

So the phone seems to be unlocked correctly. I bougth a Telus Mobility SIM card at my local dealer and I swap my old cdma blackberry for a Telus SIM card. I put the card inside the phone, and the system is not seeing Telus network. When i put manual selection the system not able to identify any 3G Carrier ( Bell, Fido, Rogers or Telus ) 4 different carrier here in Montreal Canada . So the phone is showing the little antenna in the upper right of the screen and showing SOS. Telus mobility provide a small app that you put your EMEI and the system says if the device is compatible for their network and the system told me the device was supported correctly. I tried other TELUS SIM card and that is not working either. The tech guy from Telus told me that my phone is supposed to work directly by putting the SIM inside the phone and told me that there is few t-mobile 9700 on the TELUS network and should work properly. This guy also told me to try a TELUS OS on the device probably it allow the device to detect the TELUS network. I Tried to install the 5.0.0.442 ( latest one) but this is not working.

Is there somebody having any clue about this problem ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    PIN
    21B49321

Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options >

What is "Mobile Selection Mode" set to?

What is "Network Mode" set to?
    BlackBerry Unlockers
    $5.00 for ANY Blackberry Unlock
    Blackberry Unlock Code 100% Guaranteed
    CLICK HERE to Unlock your Blackberry Today!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Selection mode is in manual ( i tried also in automatic but this is doing the same thing ). Network mode is 3G and 2G.

Only network i can find is the Rogers Wireless 2G X.
    No 3G network and my carrier TELUS dont have 2G GSM network. It's like Verizon in the USA, they have CDMA/EVDO/HSPA network.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Maybe they gave you an international roaming (gsm) simcard rather than one for their new hspa network? (Not sure if there actually is a difference in the simcard, just a theory.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I went to the TELUS store and the seller tried with his own SIM card from an HTC Hero and it didnt work either. So probably the only thing i have in mind is a frequency problem ;

From T-Mobile Website :
    Blackberry Bold 9700 ;
    Band ;
    850/900/1800/1900
    UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100) ------

From TELUS Website :
    Blackberry Bold 9700 ;
    Network GSM : 850/900/1800/1900
    HSPA : 800/850/1900/2100 ------

Is there any difference between HSPA and UMTS ???? The Guy from TELUS told me that all the phone have the same radio inside exept the new WIND MOBILE company here in CANADA.

So maybe its hardcoded inside but if telus bell and Rogers are not using the HSPA 2100 Mhz but are using the 800/850/1900 there is no frequency that match between those networks and the T-Mobile cellphone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I found that on the telus network

Facts about TELUS' 3G+ network

Runs on 1900/850 MHz frequency bands and uses standard 3GPP SIM cards.

Offers theoretical peak download speeds of 21.6 Mbps and 5.76 upload speeds.

Runs on network infrastructure that has been purpose-built from the ground up.

Uses separate channels (parts of the wireless signal) for the data and voice components, so that capacity is reserved for data.

Is there anybody who know a bit about the Balackberry 9700 Bold Onyx radio system. Are they all the same, for each carrier, for the hardware radio but different firmware (not OS) that modify which band to use ? Is there anybody know how to modify that firmware to allow changing the bands ?

- Pitiful student with no more social life ( No blackberry working )
    CrackBerry Genius

FYI: A TMobile 9700 will not work on the Telus network. Only an AT&T one will. You can use a TMobile 9700 on Rogers and it will connect on the EDGE network, but because Telus doesn't have EDGE support (only backwards compatible with 3G), you'll be out of luck. You can also use it on WIND Mobile on 3G as they use the same bands as TMobile.

There is no way to change the hardware firmware on the phone. That's just how it is. Unfortunately, that's the danger of getting unlocked phones without doing your research first. As a heads up, there is another thread on here regarding this issue as well.
    On Twitter: k_r_y_p_t_o

It's a matter of TELUS doesn't support the AWS band of HSPA, the T-Mobile 9700's 3G mode runs on AWS. Since TELUS only has a 3G HSPA network, the unlocked T-Mobile 9700 should *not* work on TELUS. It would work on WIND though, as WIND is a AWS HSPA provider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi there I don't know if this is going to reopen this thread, but did you Joel or anyone find out a resolution to this?? I actually have a TELUS BB Bold 9700, I popped in my TELUS SIM Card from my other BOLD 9700, and like Joel's situation:

It shows the 3G & 2G mode;
    It seems bound to 'Rogers Wireless'
    It is unlocked as when I do the MEPD, it shows everything disabled.

I talked to Higher Level Tech Support & they suggested:

Doing a Security Wipe which I did, and it did nothing.
    Then they also mentioned various troubleshooting steps,
    followed by making sure the IMEI belongs to Telus, which it does,
    followed by telling me to take it to a Telus store to see if my SIM would work in another Device....which it did.

The Tech at the Telus store, told me to consistently do a Battery Pull, and a manual/auto changing of the networks to see if it'll pick it up eventually. It just doesn't sound valid to me.

Does anyone have any advice for me by any chance? I'm really praying I can figure this out. Thanks so much.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

My problem was that the T-Mobile Cellphone is only compatible wind Wind Mobile or Videotron wireless in Canada which are not using same HSPA band as Telus, Bell, Virgin, Koodo, Rogers, Fido, etc.

I suggest you to reboot it and look if it's really the Telus booting intro you can see on the screen. If not, you may have a phone not compatible with Telus. The reason why your able to see Rogers on the screen is that Telus and Bell dont have GSM 2G network. They only have 2G CDMA which is not compatible with the Bold 9700.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have been considering using my Telus Bold 9700 on Roam mobility which uses T-mobile's network in the states. I unlocked it on one of those sites. Do you think it will work or will i have the same frequency problem in reverse?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    PIN
    up

Default Re: T-Mobile 9700 unlocked, no network with TELUS Sim Card

Quote Originally Posted by GoreD View Post
    I have been considering using my Telus Bold 9700 on Roam mobility which uses T-mobile's network in the states. I unlocked it on one of those sites. Do you think it will work or will i have the same frequency problem in reverse?
    Not likely will you have a problem, as T-Mobile employs both a 2G and 3G network. If you have the device unlocked, it will find whatever network is available to it. When I've been in the USA, my Blackberry has roamed on T-Mobile's 2G network in places, and AT&T's 2G and 3G networks in other places (just depends who has a stronger signal). The only way there would be an issue is if you were using a non GSM blackberry, which isn't the case, but that'd be a whole other ball of wax right there.