Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry My first BB, and my problem with TELUS

I finally decided to get my first BB - a Torch 9800. Telus had an online 72 hour sale last weekend (March 9-12, 2012) and I got the Torch for $0 on a 1 year contract.

I received the phone on Wed. March 7, via courier, and it was activated before it arrived.

The next day, I had my old phone number ported over, but I could not get any data service, even though my package includes 1 GB of data. After spending 2 hours+ on the phone with Telus tech support, they could not get the phone to register either, so they gave up and suggested that I send the phone back.

While I was on the phone with Telus customer service, I noticed that the PIN/IMEI numbers on the box of the phone did not match the PIN/IMEI from the phone itself. The phone certainly looked brand new, the box did not appear tampered with, so it does not look like a switch was made, but something is not right.

Now Telus is telling me that they may not take the phone back, because these numbers don't match. They have referred my case to the "fraud department" and they will get back to me in 1-2 weeks (yes, that's WEEKS!) At this point, I had been a Telus customer for about 24 hours, and now I sincerely regret it.

In the same order, I also bought an iPhone for my wife, and her phone started up ok, no issues with porting the number and she has access to data (I mention this for the sole purpose of showing that our Telus account is active, this is not intended to start a BB vs iPhone debate).

Anyone else ever experience something like this?? Does anyone have any suggstions on how to pursue this up the chain at Telus to get a resolution? Right now, I feel like I have to prove that I am not the criminal here, and I am not doing anything underhanded. I recevied a phone, it did not work, and I would like it replaced with one that does. It does not seem that difficult to me.

Thanks for any advice (and for reading my rant)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts

BlackBerry's need a different kind of data plan than any other smartphone, so if you're using a data plan from a previous device it probably won't work. I would have hoped TELUS would have looked at this when you called in, but just in case.

As for the PIN/IMEI not matching the box, I doubt that's your problem. Although this is odd. I'm assuming you got a refurbished device? Anyways I doubt this is fraud, I bet they just screwed up at the warehouse when re-packaging the refurbished unit.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you for the reply.

Actually it is a brand new device, and it is a brand new activation. I wasn't even a customer of Telus until three days ago, so I am going to assume the data plan was appropriate for the BB.

I spent another 2 hours on the phone with Telus tech support tonight. I refuse to accept that I have to wait two weeks to get this solved by the fraud department. The guy in tech support was really quite good. He tried every trick he knew, but could not get the phone to connect to the blackberry network. In the end,he thinks that the box of the phone was scanned into inventory using the IMEI number on the side, but the phone's actual IMEI has never been registered as active, so the BB network will refuse to grant access.

At long last, he helped me talk to customer service and they are sending a replacement phone next week along with a courier bag to send back the bad one. Hopefully I will get the new phone and that will be the end of this saga!

One "perk", if you will, is that this is happening with TELUS. If this were to happen with Rogers, you'd be screwed, no ifs, ands, or buts. Rogers would be a nightmare to deal with in regards to this kind of thing.

If they don't accept the phone back due to the serial numbers not matching, or if something else comes up, post here and I'll get in touch with you to find a timely solution.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for your reply.
    As it stands right now, a replacement phone is on its way (allegedly) via Purolator. I was told on March 9 that a new phone would be sent out in 3-5 business days. After 6 business days, I phoned back to ask what the status of the phone was, and to get a tracking number. This person then told me that it would take 3-10 business days, not 3-5, and that she did not have any access to any information to confirm whether it has shipped or not, and could not get that information. The phone would just show up at my door when it gets there.

Now it is March 24, 10 business days after confirmation that I will receive a replacement phone, and still no phone.

So I am still waiting. I will wait until Tuesday, then call back and see if I can get anywhere. My patience is wearing a little thin, considering I have already received a bill for my first month's service, even though I am not currently using the phone at all - I want to ensure that the phone goes back to Telus in pristine condition, so I have put the phone away, and only turn it on once per day top check for messages.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Phoned last night, 12 business days after the 3-10 day replacement order. The replacement phone was never sent. There was a "problem with the order".

I will receive the phone in 3-10 days. Allegedly.

***FRUSTRATED***
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I received the replacement phone about 2 weeks ago, moved SIM card from old phone to new phone. Phone works, data works, put defective phone into return mailer, sent it back.

Received a call today from Telus - RIM requested the phone back, credit will not be given for the defective handset, handset will not be returned to me. End of explanation.

Now, I'm angry.

wxmancanada, I will be sending you a PM. Hopefully you will be able to guide me through some sort of resolution on this. This is unbelieveable.