Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By callerid
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do you pay for Caller ID?

I currently dont have Caller ID on my plan as I switched to a data plan from student which is more expensive adding the 8 dollar ID would crank up the prince too much. Anyone else pay for it? and if not how do you go around about it? any tips?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm on a different carrier (Mobilicity) where CID is free. Anyways, call into Telus and say you're not happy about the service. They should transfer you to retentions and express your concern. They will usually give you CID for free if you ask for it that way.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,734 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

Ideally CID should be free anyways. We pay for incoming minutes and have a limited # of those, so if we don't know who is calling we are either forced to answer using our minutes or forced to ignore the call when it could be vitally important such as a call from a hospital where our siblings have been rushed to after they got hit by a speeding mule.
    Posted using my device of choice. May or may not be a BlackBerry.
    No such thing as too many backups. Remember that.
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,201 Global Posts

CB Doc, you're paying for it, its structured in to you plan.

Just moblicity blind folds ya and is lije 'ya its free'

CID is always going to be a paid for service. Why?
    Because people will ALWAYS pay for it! Like MM said, we want to know who is calling or who has called.

Use your voicemal as a call screening tool, or do call retentions and argue and and stuff, but Telus retentions is tough! I tried arguing my fiances accound and they were like concrete!

I'm so glad I've got Bell, I get w/e I want via a phone call to retentions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MobileMadness002 View Post
    Ideally CID should be free anyways. We pay for incoming minutes and have a limited # of those, so if we don't know who is calling we are either forced to answer using our minutes or forced to ignore the call when it could be vitally important such as a call from a hospital where our siblings have been rushed to after they got hit by a speeding mule.
    Why should it be free?

And if it's that important to you, then it ought to be important enough to pay for.

Global Posts
    5,734 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

By paying for incoming minutes, I do pay for it.
    Posted using my device of choice. May or may not be a BlackBerry.
    No such thing as too many backups. Remember that.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    PIN
    290201D6

I agree it is one of those things that should be free. Heck, a lot of places in the states have free visual voicemail. I know its tacked on in there somehow with plans, but it is hard to swallow. I have the student 55 + CID ($8 i think) plus device protection ($7). Still cheaper/better than the plan I was on 60+ 15+7 but annoying that it is costing me $8 for the service.
    Evolution of my phones: BELL: Motorola StarTac > Audiovox > ROBBERS: Motorola Rokr E1 > BB Pearl 8100 > Motorola Razr (beach only backup ) > TELUS: LG Chocolate Slider > BB pearl 8130 > BB Storm 9350 > BB Pearl Flip 8230 > BB Storm 9350 > BB Bold 9700 > BB Torch 9800 > BB Torch 9860 > BB Bold 9790

290201D6 For BBM ♥
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    648 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask!

i don't pay for cid on my 65 dollar plan and neither does the fiancee....i also have another plan that my mom has now...it was my old unlimited data plan with all the freebies i had....the only freebie that i got from lnr was the cid on the two new lines on different account number and that was before i went into the store and got the new phones and contracts....so it all depends i guess!
    CrackBerry User

I currently pay for it (both on mine & wife's), but with my plan ending in a month I've been offered it free if I sign again. Told them I'll have to think it over as Bell is offering the plan at the same, with an extra $5 off (for having home phone) and the phone I want is also cheaper. Will see what they counter offer....
    Still learning, but I'm addicted

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I took caller ID off because I was paying $17 for it. Can't get it any cheaper, greedy bastards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

It's been given to me for free the last 2 contracts I've been on.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I tried to live without CID when I first got my Bold. I lasted about three hours.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Do you pay for Caller ID?

Please check this out, sign the petition if you support free caller id, and spread the word! Thanks: Petition Fair (free) access to Caller-ID service in Canada
    Thanked by 2:
    twstd.reality (10-31-2012),  Xop777 (11-01-2012) 
    Xop777 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

never understood why we had to pay for caller id. if you look at all the plans these days caller id is always extra. everything but the kitchen sink is free (including the phone), but nope sorry you gotta pay for caller id
    CrackBerry Abuser

Never understood either why it was thrown in on the pay-as-you-go (on my old dumb phone) for free but for us on contracts you got to pay....
    Last edited by nfld_sapper; 11-01-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
    Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I am customer with Telus for 7years almost 8...

First year I was on a pre-paid service, after a year they called me and offered me a 3yrs contract for a new free blackberry device and few advantages (Free: Mailbox 3, CID and unlimited SMS). After 2yrs I decided to switch my device and let the contract end. At the end of my contract I just renewed it like it was before and made sure that my free advantages remained... I am doing it at every renewal since then.

On my next renewal I'll proceed the same way again! Ask for the same plan as I had with everything!
    X-op!

History:
    Phone: 8330 -> 9700 -> 9810 OS 7.1
    Tablet: PlayBook OS2
    Work Phone: Samsung Galaxy Ace (Rooted / Unlocked with Galaxy Ace Unlock)

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/cVv43QC
    If you like, then like! If it helped, say thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by callerid View Post
    Please check this out, sign the petition if you support free caller id, and spread the word! Thanks: Petition Fair (free) access to Caller-ID service in Canada
    How long has this campaign been going? I just signed and I'm signature number 2 and the two other people who liked your post haven't even signed
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PIN
    22d0eab0

its always going to be a paid for service witch kinda sucks but if we want it that bad we gotta pay for it like @Janye i had that same plan student $55+$8+$7 bill come out to about $80 a month without me running up my daytime minutes witch always seemed to happen, so i tweeted telus saying it was too much going to wind and i got the new $70 plan same everything but with unlimited mins and removed the $7 device protection now comes out to still $80 but works out for me
    follow me on twitter @kikz515187

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberry_135 View Post
    its always going to be a paid for service witch kinda sucks but if we want it that bad we gotta pay for it like @Janye i had that same plan student $55+$8+$7 bill come out to about $80 a month without me running up my daytime minutes witch always seemed to happen, so i tweeted telus saying it was too much going to wind and i got the new $70 plan same everything but with unlimited mins and removed the $7 device protection now comes out to still $80 but works out for me
    Too much? At $40/month, you can't go wrong with what your plan includes plus unlimited data (including text and talk).
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    PIN
    22d0eab0

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Too much? At $40/month, you can't go wrong with what your plan includes plus unlimited data (including text and talk).
    true but i'm happy with my plan as of now, i'm always on wifi and never go over 1GB of network data, wifi hmm that's another story lol
    follow me on twitter @kikz515187
    CrackBerry Abuser

I called in and said I wanted Caller ID, and they gave it to me for free.

I do have the 65$ 6-gig data plan so I'de hope I would get some perks haha