Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad28
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Compatibility check for switchover to Telus (BEWARE)

The other day, I found a Telus web page that allows you to check to see if your current phone is compatible to bring over and use on the Telus Network by entering the IMEI number. It also tells you whether it is a stolen phone or not as well. Anyways, I entered in a rogers Q10 IMEI number and it said "will not work on the Telus network" so I tried it again and received the same message. Just for fun, I entered my own IMEI number and received the same message. What is strange is that my Q10 is a Telus phone that I purchased directly from Telus. So I immediately called Telus to have the rogers phone checked. I was told that it wasn't compatible. I then asked about my own phone and was told the same thing. So, is this a ploy just to make a sale? Just tell everyone that their phone isn't compatible? I then asked how my own phone that I am talking on, is not compatible on the network when clearly it is! The response? "thanks for pointing this out to me, I will make a note of it!" the rep didn't even ask me if the rogers phone was unlocked or not. Today, I found out that the rogers Q10 will work on the Telus network if unlocked! I don't trust Telus anymore and just wanted everyone that reads crackberry posts, to know what to watch out for. I am sure that they haven't addressed this issue cuz they have a good thing going. This should be illegal. Be my guest and Google it, try it for yourself!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Glad for the heads up. I know the Z10 STL100-3 for example, work on all of the big 3 as well as Wind, Mobilicity and can roam on most US carriers. I figured the same would apply for the Q10.

Sounds like sleazy marketing....

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Haha, just check a Q10 from Telus I have sitting here any sure enough it said it wasn't compatible.
    Blackberry Z30
    Blackberry Playbook 32GB
    Blackberry Q10
    Blackberry 9900
    Blackberry 9700
    Blackberry Storm
    rebroker2009 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Yup, also just checked a Z10 that I purchased from someone using it on the Telus network. NOT COMPATIBLE lol. I think there should be some kind of law or fine associated with this. I brought it to Telus's attention a few weeks ago, but they did not do anything about it
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Similar experience (but not related to that), when I was with telus (a year before I switched to wind), when I had the bold 9700, and the glass covering the screen got cracked (fell on a damn rock!), they refused to do the repairs themselves and referred me to the repair shop across the mall. That worker got fired after I told them and they didn't even give a SH!T about me as a customer. From that point on, i'll never trust them again.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,607 Global Posts

My z10 although a stl100-1 not bought from Telus I'm using on Telus to send this message no issues at all. But not compatible lol

Sent from the ocean using my waterproof Z10
    CrackBerry Master

I'll check it later, but my Z30 is a Telus model that I unlocked and am using on Wind.

Wanna bet that it will be incompatible as well?

Welcome... to the world of TOMORROW!
    CrackBerry User

I got a second hand Bold 9900 (locked to Rogers) and asked Telus (my carrier) about it, they said to check like you wrote above and sure enough it was not compatible according to the website. (And not listed as lost or stolen.)

So what do I do? I have a Curve 9320 but the Bold is much better. They said I could swap the Curve out and use the Bold for the rest of my contract (1 yr) if it was compatible.

Is there a way to make it compatible? CB is known for hacks for everything to do with BB phones. So what about it? How do I make this Bold compatible with Telus?

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by hiker11 View Post
    I got a second hand Bold 9900 (locked to Rogers) and asked Telus (my carrier) about it, they said to check like you wrote above and sure enough it was not compatible according to the website. (And not listed as lost or stolen.)So what do I do? I have a Curve 9320 but the Bold is much better. They said I could swap the Curve out and use the Bold for the rest of my contract (1 yr) if it was compatible. Is there a way to make it compatible? CB is known for hacks for everything to do with BB phones. So what about it? How do I make this Bold compatible with Telus?
    If it doesn't support 3G Bands (required for it to work) 1,2,5,6, (find it in the About screen), it will not work with that carrier. It cannot be made to work, it cannot be "hacked" to work either. Simply not possible.
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    Thanked by:
    hiker11 (07-23-2014) 
    CrackBerry User

OK I found out my model 9900 is RDE71UW.
    Which according to this thread means it has bands 1, 2, 5/6.
    The phone also says this. And 3G/H+. 7.1 bundle 2108.
    But if the Telus link says my phone is not compatible, and sticks to that story (true or not), what can I do?
    CrackBerry Genius

Link to that Telus site please,?!

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    BlackBerry Passport - Serious Mobility for Serious Business; No Procrastination.

PIN

Bringing it to a TELUS/Koodo store and testing their SIM in the unlocked phone would ultimately prove it works.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Supa_Fly1 View Post
    Link to that Telus site please,?!
    The OP rebroker should have posted the link. But here it is anyway:
    Check Device Compatibility¬*|¬* Phones & Devices¬*|¬* Support¬*|¬* TELUS Mobility
    Note that Telus site always redirects you to your home province in Canada first. (personalized experience or something...)
    The link above is for Ontario. Otherwise replace it with the standard 2-letter abbreviation for your province.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Bringing it to a TELUS/Koodo store and testing their SIM in the unlocked phone would ultimately prove it works.
    But first I have to unlock the phone, which may mean paying Rogers some fee. Like $50.
    I'm unlikely to pay that amount if I cannot be certain that Telus will accept the phone on their network.
    CrackBerry User

I emailed Telus Mobility about the compatibility checker. Even the staff member who replied said his Telus phone was listed as incompatible. So he said he would ask the web team at Telus to look into the problem.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

I posted this thread in February. The point being, the website checker is 100% bull if it's telling telus phone owners that their current telus phone is not compatible with their network. Most phones purchased in NA will work in Canada if it is truly unlocked. Some speeds might not be available for older phones but most are okay. Imagine, even telus phones can work on the telus network. Imagine that! Btw, they still haven't corrected the issue

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296